Microsoft Squeezes You for More $$$$

HuskyCaucasian

I got this e-mail today from Hotmail. What a crock for new members. They are just trying to squeeze money out of people because they have become reliant on Outlook.

Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.

Because you actively use Outlook or Outlook Express to access one or more of your MSN Hotmail or MSN e-mail accounts, this could be the ideal time to consider subscribing to our powerful new

e-mail service - Microsoft Office Outlook Live.

As an Outlook Live subscriber, not only can you get uninterrupted access to your MSN e-mail accounts from Outlook, but you will also enjoy many other benefits.

As a thank-you for your loyalty to MSN, we'd like to offer you a 25% discount off the regular price of a year's subscription to Outlook Live. Sign up by April 19, 2005, and you can enjoy all your first year's benefits for just $44.95 instead of $59.95*.

My favorite line: " this could be the ideal time to consider subscribing to our powerful new e-mail service"

• 7 months later...

Well sure there's a number of other free email services that allow you to manage accounts with Outlook or Outlook Express. Hotmail is one of the biggest sources of spam and spam addresses on the Internet though. It's a pain for Hotmail/Outlook users like my Mom, but know that there's actually a reason behind it beyond pure greed.

My only problem is my friends still think they should send it to my hotmail account, when I have one through GMail, my old ISP, ISU and FutureSox. But no, they send it to the one I check once a month to make sure nothing needed went in there.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
My only problem is my friends still think they should send it to my hotmail account, when I have one through GMail, my old ISP, ISU and FutureSox. But no, they send it to the one I check once a month to make sure nothing needed went in there.

I also have a Hot Male email address that I use for strictly business purposes, but that's another story. . . :ph34r:

:P :P

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Also, the "free" Microsoft Spy Ware program that many of us use is expiring in December.

Moneygrubbing bastages.  :angry:

I don't like that one, whenever I do clean spyware up I do a combo of Ad-aware, Spybot, and Spywareblaster. They are easy and don't require you to have it running as a service.