Bruce Levine on AM 1000

beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Said Jon Adkins will get stretched out this spring, get some starts. [my opinion--Jon will be a starting pitcher at AAA, maybe to enhance his trade value]

I agree 100%. I would keep Adkins, Diaz and Munoz all starting at AAA to give us more choices if someone gets hurt.

Said Jon Adkins will get stretched out this spring, get some starts. [my opinion--Jon will be a starting pitcher at AAA, maybe to enhance his trade value]

Not surprising. It looks like he is the 12th man on an 11 man staff ... the first option in case someone gets hurt.

I guess that means Adkins has minor league options left? I thought he didn't.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
opened w/ info on Frank. Said Herm was in contact w/ him, will send Frank's shoes to his Dr.

Silvy's a jag, hinting that Frank should have been at the opening of camp [just for the weigh in]. Idiot

yea, i heard that too. That kind of pissed me off. It seems to me he was just trying to start a mini controversy, since the sox camp has been quiet this season so far.

yea, i heard that too.  That kind of pissed me off.  It seems to me he was just trying to start a mini controversy, since the sox camp has been quiet this season so far.

Which is a good thing to hear, we need all these guys to gel together esp with so many new players coming in, the faster we gel the faster we can play like a team.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
Bardo said he heard that Frank had gained a lot of weight in the offseason. Bruce said the sox hadn't heard that, that Frank knows he needs to keep his weight down to keep the pressure off his foot.

I could see where Frank may have put on some weight, seeing as he was not able to walk most of the winter.

QUOTE(slick03 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
yea, i heard that too.  That kind of pissed me off.  It seems to me he was just trying to start a mini controversy, since the sox camp has been quiet this season so far.

With Sammy gone and Frank not reporting they have nothing to talk about. I'm surprised they didn't harp on Crazy Carl's comments a little harder.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Guys lay off Silvy.  It's part of their schtick.  Last night he and Carmen were at Harry Carey's, Carmen wore a Sox jersey and goaded the Cubs fans all evening.

You can't be mad at Silvy for bringing up the cubs, and then laugh when Carmen bashes the Cubs.

How true! :cheers

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Guys lay off Silvy.  It's part of their schtick.  Last night he and Carmen were at Harry Carey's, Carmen wore a Sox jersey and goaded the Cubs fans all evening.

You can't be mad at Silvy for bringing up the cubs, and then laugh when Carmen bashes the Cubs.

I was bashing Silvy for trying to start a controversy w/ Frank where there isn't one. When Silvy said that Frank should have been at camp the first day [and kept at it], Levine went through a few things: the first day of camp is basically a weigh in; there are no facilities for frank to rehab in, the place isn't equipped for that as there is no room.

silvy kept at it and said Frank still should have came in the first day and then left. For that [trying to make up controversies where there are none, even after he has all the facts] he is an idiot.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Not surprising.  It looks like he is the 12th man on an 11 man staff ... the first option in case someone gets hurt.

I guess that means Adkins has minor league options left?  I thought he didn't.

I don't know if he'd be the first option if someone got hurt. My bet is Baj becomes the first RH guy called up with a good spring [has similar "stuff" as Adkins with far better control], maybe Diaz, and then Munoz.

Adkins' control and propensity to give up the long ball will make him trade bait before the season begins. Unless he's starting in AAA just to fill a roster space, it doesn't make sense. Unless the sox are showing him off to other teams as a Dustin Hermanson type