A.J. Pierzynski...

bjm676

sounds like he's already blending in....

Pierzynski settling in with Sox

Veteran catcher building relationships with pitchers

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

A.J. Pierzynski has begun one-on-one talks with each of the five starting pitchers in order to better acquaint himself with them. (Andres Leighton/AP) 

TUCSON, Ariz. -- On Friday night, at one of Tucson's finest restaurants, a dinner with pitching coach Don Cooper and catcher A.J. Pierzynski will take place that could further shape the direction of the White Sox pitching staff.

"We are going to really expand on the things that I feel, from my end, we need to be doing with each guy," Cooper said of his dinner with the White Sox's new starting catcher. "I want to go over strengths and weaknesses and things like that.

"It's stuff we have to do now, rather than starting on April 3," Cooper added.

Cooper praised Pierzynski for the bond gradually being formed between the two in just seven or eight days of workouts. He also gave Pierzynski credit for quickly developing a strong work environment with the pitching staff from almost the first day he arrived in Arizona.

But that particular connection between the pitcher and catcher is a constantly evolving process, one that eventually can make or break a team. Cooper went one step further, calling the pitcher-catcher relationship "the biggest one in the game."

Stories of Pierzynski's troubles working with the Giants' staff in 2004 traveled with him from San Francisco to Chicago and even across the country to the desert. If the time and effort Pierzynski currently is putting into the equation means anything, those previous anonymous reports might be greatly exaggerated.

Pierzynski is one of the toughest players to find in the White Sox clubhouse. He makes a brief stop at his locker, after on-field workouts, only to change clothes for workouts in the weight room.

He also has begun one-on-one talks with each of the five starters, trying to figure out the make-up and repertoire of each hurler. Pierzynski knows a little bit about all five, having hit against Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland and Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez when he was with Minnesota.

For the record, Pierzynski holds a .400 career average against Buehrle, has hit .400 against Garcia and .360 with two home runs against Garland, but he was hitless in seven at-bats when facing El Duque. Seeing them at the plate, as opposed to from behind the plate, is almost an entirely different scenario.

"We played them 20 times per year for a long time, so that helps a little bit," Pierzynski said. "I have a little bit of an idea as to what they like to do and how they like to attack. At the same time, we would like to get on the same page and figure out exactly what they want to do."

"It will take a while for him to adjust and the same for us, but over time, it will come together," Garland added. "He's a pretty good catcher so it won't take him long to adjust. It's just the little things that you have to do in the game to get out those little kinks."

Those "little things" involve going over specific pitch sequences and telling Pierzynski where Garland wants him to sit for certain pitches. It's really more about getting a feel for the working habits of each individual, especially with the game on the line, made even more important by this being Pierzynski's first year with the team.

This interactive work has not been limited to Pierzynski. Ben Davis, Jamie Burke and non-roster invitee Chris Widger all have been catching pitchers who will be breaking camp with the team during early workouts. The White Sox also have plans to develop a stronger bond between the backstops and the bullpen, by pitching Cliff Politte, Shingo Takatsu or Damaso Marte for the first two innings in Cactus League games.

The benefits should be two-fold for the relievers. Not only will they be throwing to the first-string catcher but they also will be facing the opposition's starters, as opposed to late-inning, minor league fill-ins.

"If A.J. is going to be our five- or six-day catcher, it would be nice to get work with him," Politte said. "Last year, being new to the organization, I was pitching later in the games and didn't get to work with anybody. The first couple of (regular season) outings were spent trying to figure out what you have and what the catcher likes to call."

"I'm all for that," added Pierzynski of working with the bullpen. "If I play nine innings, then I play nine innings. Whatever it takes. If I have to stay a couple of extra innings to see those guys, I have no problem with that. I want to go into Opening Day with as much knowledge as I can possibly gain in this small period of time."

Some of that knowledge will be taken from the workouts. Some will be taken from personal meetings with the pitchers, while other pieces of information should come from Friday night's dinner with Cooper.

The actual Cactus League action, though, should help cement the all-important work relationship with Pierzynski and his staff.

"Our pitching staff has a lot of experience, and they know what they want to do," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. "That should make it easier for A.J."

"It's Spring Training and I have six weeks to figure out what we are going to do," Pierzynski added. "Every day is a learning process for me. The more I catch these guys, the better I'm going to be."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
I gotta give KW props.. At the time I didn't want him here, but if he actually works his ass off and plays like he did for the twins, it will be one of the few times KW got something right.

??? wtf? you must not like KW too much. KW puts his balls on the line a lot. he goes out there and finds a deal. He has passion in this club. He is not a gm who sits on his ass and waits for problems to fix them selves.

??? wtf?  you must not like KW too much.  KW puts his balls on the line a lot. he goes out there and finds a deal. He has passion in this club. He is not a gm who sits on his ass and waits for problems to fix them selves.

Yep sure has proven it.. Scotty S was the answer last year for our rotation.

How about telling us that Harris is good enough to play 2b, or trading Wells and Fogg for Todd Ritichie..

KW might not sit on his hands, but so far his track record speaks for itself..

Div Titles 0

And that is all that matters..

Schueler was the driving force behind that trade, but you knew that.

It doesn't matter.. Who had the GM title, he was the one who had the final say.. If he didn't then why was he named the GM? Point Blank KW was never able to handle the job given to him, but enough about why we can't have a winning team..

Back to the topic at hand, AJ should be on a tear this year and next to get a good chunk of change when he is a FA.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
??? wtf?  you must not like KW too much.  KW puts his balls on the line a lot. he goes out there and finds a deal. He has passion in this club. He is not a gm who sits on his ass and waits for problems to fix them selves.

Apparantly you have never read any of his other posts.

It doesn't matter.. Who had the GM title, he was the one who had the final say.. If he didn't then why was he named the GM?  Point Blank KW was never able to handle the job given to him, but enough about why we can't have a winning team..

Back to the topic at hand, AJ should be on a tear this year and next to get a good chunk of change when he is a FA.

My mistake. You don't know as much about baseball as I gave you credit for.

It DOES matter. KW was under Schueler's wing for quite a while, and very rarely do trades come together in an instant. Both Schueler and Williams have gone on record as saying Ritchie was a guy targeted by the White Sox for a couple of years. Both guys should get blame.

In addition, KW did not have as much autonomy back then as he does now. Believe whatever you want, but that's the case, and it's normal with most brand new GM's.

Your KW bashing is bordering on obsession, it's now 1001 times and counting that you've posted the exact same sentiment.

My mistake.  You don't know as much about baseball as I gave you credit for.

It DOES matter.  KW was under Schueler's wing for quite a while, and very rarely do trades come together in an instant.  Both Schueler and Williams have gone on record as saying Ritchie was a guy targeted by the White Sox for a couple of years.  Both guys should get blame.

In addition, KW did not have as much autonomy back then as he does now.  Believe whatever you want, but that's the case, and it's normal with most brand new GM's.

Your KW bashing is bordering on obsession, it's now 1001 times and counting that you've posted the exact same sentiment.

As have you, pointing that KW was and still is unable to handle his job.. I was actually giving him credit for the AJ only to have you guys turn it into me proving that KW has failed and never succeeded.. and only people like you who enjoy drinking the kool-aid to belive that he actaully can handle this job.

You keep with the KW kool-aid and take the story that RS should be blamed for KW mistake. I don't care if he was under his wing or not..Point is KW had the title of GM, which under 31/32 teams the GM has say in signing and trades, and not a consultant. Which was what RS was.

Why is it that Atlanta, has had a run of 13 straight Div titles? WOuld it be cause the GM knows what he is doing? oR what about Oakland Gm..Both have budgets like us yet manage to put a championship teams on the feild. KW barely can put a triple-a team on the field.. If this year we fail, whos to blame this year? The fans, what about the security guards, the Pr dept.. When you fail to win in the easiest div in baseball there is only 1 person to blame.. The GM, for not being able to put a team on the field that can win..

I am so sick of reading post after post by the 1000000 about how great KW is when all he has done is put losing teams on the feild. When I stop reading about those, then you won't see me ripping on him.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
As have you, pointing that KW was and still is unable to handle his job.. I was actually giving him credit for the AJ  only to have you guys turn it into me proving that KW has failed and never succeeded.. and only people like you who enjoy drinking the kool-aid to belive that he actaully can handle this job.

You keep with the KW kool-aid and take the story that RS should be blamed for KW mistake.  I don't care if he was under his wing or not..Point is KW had the title of GM, which under 31/32 teams the GM has say in signing and trades, and not a consultant. Which was what RS was.

Why is it that Atlanta, has had a run of 13 straight Div titles? WOuld it be cause the GM knows what he is doing? oR what about Oakland Gm..Both have budgets like us yet manage to put a championship teams on the feild.  KW barely can put a triple-a team on the field.. If this year we fail, whos to blame this year? The fans, what about the security guards, the Pr dept.. When you fail to win in the easiest div in baseball there is only 1 person to blame.. The GM, for not being able to put a team on the field that can  win..

I am so sick of reading post after post by the 1000000 about how great KW is when all he has done is put losing teams on the feild. When I stop reading about those, then you won't see me ripping on him.

What has Billy Beane ever won?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
A couple more Div titles.. but I guess those are overrated?

Wow, they won a couple of division titles and got their asses handed to them in the first round every year. Strike up the band, Billy Beane is a magician. Let's see what he does this year without Mulder and Hudson.

As have you, pointing that KW was and still is unable to handle his job.. I was actually giving him credit for the AJ  only to have you guys turn it into me proving that KW has failed and never succeeded.. and only people like you who enjoy drinking the kool-aid to belive that he actaully can handle this job.

You keep with the KW kool-aid and take the story that RS should be blamed for KW mistake.  I don't care if he was under his wing or not..Point is KW had the title of GM, which under 31/32 teams the GM has say in signing and trades, and not a consultant. Which was what RS was.

Why is it that Atlanta, has had a run of 13 straight Div titles? WOuld it be cause the GM knows what he is doing? oR what about Oakland Gm..Both have budgets like us yet manage to put a championship teams on the feild.  KW barely can put a triple-a team on the field.. If this year we fail, whos to blame this year? The fans, what about the security guards, the Pr dept.. When you fail to win in the easiest div in baseball there is only 1 person to blame.. The GM, for not being able to put a team on the field that can  win..

Your first sentence doesn't make sense, but that's not unusual for you. I have never stated that he was and is still UNable to handle the job.

Next, I don't drink Kool Aid, I've been following this team longer than you've been alive most likely. I know the difference between passive GM's and aggressive GM's who try to improve and get things done. I've seen way to many passive ones in my lifetime, or people who were bulls***ters like Stu Holcomb, Bill Veeck, Allyn, etc.

You're sick of reading posts by the 100000 people? Tough. Maybe it ought to tell you something. No one is saying that KW is great, not by my estimation. He gets acknowlegement for trying, and most people on this website have only Ron Schueler to compare him with. Schu was a great one for holding onto prospects and hyping them, and he operated under an entirely different set of economics as respects this franchise. Let's not forget this team had an attendance honeymoon in '91-'92. Money was pumped into the team, and a division title resulted. What happened in '96, '97, '98, '99 ... all under Schuler's watch? Terry Bevington? Plummeting attendance? Please. 2000 was lightning in a bottle, nothing more and nothing less.

Schueler instigated and recommended the Ritchie trade, KW agreed with it. Reinsdorf signed off. Mistake by all three guys. You though, in your sweeping generalization and slander campaign, choose to ignore that anyone other than Williams had anything to do with it. Believe whatever you want, but it's a shame when the truth disagrees with your point of view.

KW can barely put a Triple A team on the field? What, are you trying out for King of Generalization? You're off to a good start. That is one of the dumbest statements I've seen on this website. Try to think before you type next time, you're rapidly losing whatever bit of credibility you had to begin with.

Simply put, you don't know a lot about baseball. I will admit my mistake in thinking you did. When you say there is only 1 person to blame when a team doesn't win the division, that says it all in terms of your lack of knowledge.

Not meaning to pick a fight with you, but you're all hot air and very little substance.

PS: BTW Atlanta's budget has quite often been substantially higher than the Chicago White Sox. Does Turner/CNN ring a bell with you?

Wow, they won a couple of division titles and got their asses handed to them in the first round every year.  Strike up the band, Billy Beane is a magician.  Let's see what he does this year without Mulder and Hudson.

Yeah who needs Divsion titles, I mean there is always 2nd place in the ALC.. everyone in base ball knows that that team are the true champs..:rolly

Yeah who needs Divsion titles, I mean there is always 2nd place in the ALC.. everyone in base  ball knows that that team are the true champs..:rolly

You said championship teams. Oakland has not had a championship team in quite a while.

You must've meant division winners. Again, think first, then type.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Yeah who needs Divsion titles, I mean there is always 2nd place in the ALC.. everyone in base  ball knows that that team are the true champs..:rolly

Did I ever say that I don't want a Division Title? I don't think so. I am merely saying that you are talking up guys like Beane and Schureholz. Schureholz has always had a substantially bigger budget, like Jim said. As for Beane, you are praising him as one of the greatest GM's in baseball when he has won the exact same amount of Championships as KW. 0

But hey, keep on using the green text and talking about Division Championships all you want.

Edited by SoxFanForever

Not meaning to pick a fight with you, but you're all hot air and very little substance.

:sleep

Keep it up, The GM puts the team together.. but I''m sure if we fail this year it be Jimmy the hotdog guy that gets fired before the GM..

AS far as your comment, I really could care less what you think, you choose to endorse a GM who has done nothing but fail time and time again.

Money was pumped into the team, and a division title resulted. What happened in '96, '97, '98, '99 ... all under Schuler's watch?

Its called Rebuilding, which was done..since 95% of those players we traded/let go via FA, did nothing afterwards. We had a pretty damn good farm system on for KW to dismantle it on players like Ritichie.

I would love to eat my words and have this team win something in 05, but until that time, we have now changed the players and Manager..and if we still can't win, there is only 1 person left to blame..and we all know who that is...

Jimmy

:rolly

I think you and I can agree that you put a winning team on the field and watch as our payrolll goes up, but in order for that to happen, we need a GM who can put together a good team on the field, which KW has yet to do.

You said championship teams.  Oakland has not had a championship team in quite a while.

You must've meant division winners.  Again, think first, then type.

Lay off the kool-aid then type, you might actaully see the truth for once, instead of being so blindsided by it.

if you win your division you are the champs of that division.. Jim I had respect for you, but your further lack of the truth has made it so clear that you use your heart and not your head when it comes to see KW for what he is..

I don't mean to pick a fight but quite making a case for one of the worse GM in sports, I have friends that are Twins fans, and they say by far KW is the Twins best Weapon, since he has no idea what he is doing it seems year in and year out.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
also why is that everytime I mention the truth about KW, or another player you all defend him like he has brought us such fame and fortune?

Anthrax, while I may not agree with your opinion of Kenny Williams, I will defend your stance.

I am f***ing sick of posters antagonizing you. If you want to keep bashing KW, so be it. It's not their place to stop you and call you names.

f***ing christ, you'd think original opinions are becoming illegal.

Anthrax, while I may not agree with your opinion of Kenny Williams, I will defend your stance.

I am f***ing sick of posters antagonizing you. If you want to keep bashing KW, so be it. It's not their place to stop you and call you names.

f***ing christ, you'd think original opinions are becoming illegal.

I can't agree with you anymore, we are all Sox fans.. I think, but if anyone thinks outside of the "Sox-talk" Box you have the Box jumping down your throat. Now if I was to say that KW was the best GM ever and we should sign him to a long term deal...I would be an Admin, as often as I post here.