Canada to impose "feebate" on SUVs

KipWellsFan

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...bate050225.html

Tucked discreetly into this week's federal budget is a proposal that Ottawa impose a fee on purchases of new SUVs and other large vehicles while offering rebates to people who buy smaller, more fuel-efficient cars.

I'm pleased with this new occurance, but I'm sure none of you care. This is the type of thing your governments should be doing. Especially if it didn't bother signing on for Kyoto.

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
So you don't think a government which regulates pollutants in the air shouldn't offer incentives to buy cars that get better fuel efficiency? How about just rolling back the tax incentives that many people get to buy SUVs?

They shouldn't offer incentives to decide behavior.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...bate050225.html

I'm pleased with this new occurance, but I'm sure none of you care.  This is the type of thing your governments should be doing.  Especially if it didn't bother signing on for Kyoto.

Kyoto, Kyoto, Kyoto. I'm tired of this s***! Kyoto will do NOTHING to help "Global Warming" or any other polution problem. It held the US to an unfair standard than it did other industruialized nations. I'm glad Bush didn't sign it. Hell, Clinton/Gore didn't even sedn it for ratification because it would have fell flat on it's face. Stop bringing up this bulls*** and taking your little potshots at the US!

Edited by mreye

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Kyoto, Kyoto, Kyoto. I'm tired of this s***! Kyoto will do NOTHING to help "Global Warming" or any other polution problem. It held the US to an unfair standard than it did other industruialized nations. I'm glad Bush didn't sign it. Hell, Clinton/Gore didn't even sedn it for ratification because it would have fell flat on it's face. Stop bringing up this bulls*** and taking your little potshots at the US!

No need to be upset. When the nations who signed onto Kyoto start feeling the economic pain of compliance then we can sit back and laugh at them.

It will all balance out in the end economically.

I can't wait for a couple of major environmental things to come along, like certain recycled products that will totally revolutionize the way plastics and other common products are made.

That's where the real money can be made from an environmental standpoint. And that day is coming more quickly then you might think.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
No need to be upset.  When the nations who signed onto Kyoto start feeling the economic pain of compliance then we can sit back and laugh at them.

Even by 2012 there will not be that much pain from compliance for the developed nations. They have all pretty much figured out their credit trading partners and they, not us, will be the ones to take advantage of the 'low hanging fruit' by getting credits (not to mention forging trade relationships) for helping build green infrastructure for the developing countries.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
What kind of person goes to a message board based in a foreign country and does nothing but take shots at that country's government? :wacko:

Lol, pot shots at your government. You'll know when I take pot shots at your government.

Plus I don't care about any of this, oh my Kyoto treats our economy unfairly. There is no f***ing time to worry about the economy either you're f***ed or you try to change things.

Fact is Republicans don't give a s*** about the future, they care about the dollas.

f*** Republicans and all that ignorantly support them.

:finger :finger :finger :finger :finger

:canada :canada :canada :canada :canada :canada :canada

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
One without  :usa -induced myopia.

You support this, Jim?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
Fact is Republicans don't give a s*** about the future, they care about the dollas.

f*** Republicans and all that ignorantly support them.

:finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger

:canada  :canada  :canada  :canada  :canada  :canada  :canada

I think it's pretty obvious who the "ignorant" one is here. And I'll add "childish" and "foul-mouthed" as well. :rolly

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Our country didn't agree to the Kyoto agreement either, although our government is under pressure from the likes of the "Greens" to join, and I'm in favor of doing something to help fix global warming in the long run.

Reducing emissions is a laudable goal but Kyoto is totally the wrong way to go about it. Such an agreement is fatally flawed when it allows some nations ( including the no.1 comsumer of fossil fuels and the hottest economy China ) to escape any restriction whatsoever while slower economies such as those in Europe and Japan take the burden. I'm really glad we didn;t sign on to this.

I was just pissed off last night and finally was fet up with how everyone jumps on everyone of my posts. While, my post was overly agressive and under the influence(not an excuse) I stand by my my general point that I think it's a lame excuse to note how our economy will suffer, because WELL OUR BLOODY WORLD IS SUFFERING and that Republicans don't do nearly enough to make me think they really give a damn.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
I was just pissed off last night and finally was fet up with how everyone jumps on everyone of my posts.  While, my post was overly agressive and under the influence(not an excuse) I stand by my my general point that I think it's a lame excuse to note how our economy will suffer, because WELL OUR BLOODY WORLD IS SUFFERING and that Republicans don't do nearly enough to make me think they really give a damn.

Once again.........

Reducing emissions is a laudable goal but Kyoto is totally the wrong way to go about it. Such an agreement is fatally flawed when it allows some nations ( including the no.1 comsumer of fossil fuels and the hottest economy China ) to escape any restriction whatsoever while slower economies such as those in Europe and Japan take the burden. I'm really glad we didn;t sign on to this.