Notes: Brushback incident at camp

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/new...5news&fext=.jsp

Notes: Brushback incident at camp

Hernandez throws tight pitch to Rogowski at BP

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

TUCSON, Ariz. -- At a solid 230 pounds and as a former Michigan state heavyweight wrestling champion who won his final 92 matches, Casey Rogowski does not appear to be a good opponent for the average person if he's looking for a fight.

But there's nothing average about Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez's grit, competitiveness, determination and, especially, his pride. Those traits were on display Friday during live batting practice on a back field at Tucson Electric Park, when Hernandez brushed back Rogowski with a high-and-tight offering.

A White Sox source said Friday's incident actually took root two days ago, when Rogowski hit a line drive back up the middle with Hernandez on the mound. Although Hernandez had a screen in front of him during the session, he didn't appreciate the comebacker when hitters are signaled as to what pitch is coming, nor what he perceived as the ensuing reaction.

Although the problem seemed to be settled at the time, Hernandez decided that some sort of message was still there to be sent. Manager Ozzie Guillen liked Hernandez's attitude, but would have preferred the target to be part of another franchise.

"That shows me what kind of person we have on the mound," Guillen said of El Duque. "I respect that. I wasn't too happy about it, but he's got his own reasons, and I can live with that. He came to me and said why and what happened and stuff. I just turned the page and moved on.

"He's competitive," Guillen added of El Duque. "I like that, when a guy doesn't like to be embarrassed by anybody. A lot of guys should learn from that when we face another team."

Neither Hernandez nor Rogowski would comment on what transpired. Rogowski, 23, is taking part in his first Major League camp after a breakout season at Class A Winston-Salem in 2004, in which he hit 18 home runs, drove in 90 and swiped 16 bases. After posting an impressive .289 effort during the Arizona Fall League, Rogowski is simply trying to fit in, get his work done and learn what he can from the more established players.

"But he's not afraid to come back and take a swing," said Guillen of Rogowski's reaction to Hernandez. "Stuff happens. I'm not going to worry about stuff I can't control. If he hit the guy, it would have been a different thing. He just wants to pitch his way."

Guillen mentioned that if Hernandez intended to hit Rogowski, the job would have been done. He also said that while Hernandez's desire was admirable, he doesn't want any player acting on his own outside the team concept.

"I just want my team to be together," Guillen said. "If something happens to my teammate, I will take care of that. If something happens to one of the guys wearing my uniform, I'll be the one in charge.

"That's the kind of team I like. I want those guys to fight together. That's the only way we're going to do it here. Finally, I think we have a team that can do it.

"We're worried about 25 guys on the field," Guillen added. "It's not selfish. It's not, 'Me, me, I, me.'"

Big Hurt update: White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider spoke to Frank Thomas on Thursday night and reported that the big designated hitter was in great spirits, "laughing and joking around." According to Schneider, Thomas is also "biting at the bit to come down to Spring Training."

The team will have a better handle on Thomas' arrival late next week, when Thomas travels to Los Angeles for an examination by Dr. Richard Ferkel on Thursday, March 3. Ferkel is the surgeon who repaired the fractured navicular in Thomas' left ankle back in October.

Schneider also planned to send a pair of Thomas' shoes overnight to the doctor so specific orthotics could be made to help out once he's ready to go.

"We want the orthotics to accommodate the foot and the shoe," Schneider said.

Thomas continues to work with trainer Tim Soder, doing some "functional stuff," by Schneider's description. Guillen has no problem with Thomas staying in Las Vegas to continue the rehabilitation process, and not making the trip to Tucson until he's given the green light to start with baseball activity.

"Frank knows he can't do anything about it," Guillen said. "He has his own program back in Las Vegas, and I want him when he's ready to come here. It's not necessary to have him here when he can't do anything about it."

Change of pace: Intrasquad games will be played on Sunday and Monday at White Sox camp, leading the team up to Wednesday's Cactus League opener against Colorado. The Major League squad will play against a team of minor leaguers.

Guillen figures the games will be useful in evaluating both his current players and those individuals who can provide future help.

"I like those kind of games because it gives me a chance to take a look at our minor league system," Guillen said. "There's nothing better than when you see those kids. I'll see a couple of kids there who will help us in the Spring Training games.

"Like I did last year, I like to involve the minor league kids in the big league games and make sure they know what kind of game we play here," Guillen added.

The White Sox have performed above Guillen's expectations during the early days of workouts. But he knows the intrasquad games will give him a better chance to see the true talent on display.

One of a kind: Jermaine Dye had to laugh when asked if he understood everything Guillen said Tuesday during his 45-minute speech to the team.

"Some of the words you don't understand, but I kind of know where he's going," said Dye, who has previously played against Guillen. "I'm sure I'll figure out his lingo as the season goes on."

As the second youngest manager in the game, behind Cleveland's Eric Wedge (37), the 41-year-old Guillen stands in charge of many veterans who played against him -- much like Dye. He might not remember each individual, but Guillen has a gregarious personality that lasts for a long time.

"You can't forget Ozzie," said White Sox catcher Chris Widger, a non-roster invitee who was part of a Mariners squad that played against Guillen and the White Sox. "You see someone with that energy and charisma. ... He was the same way as a player that he is now."

I forgot to post this, but Levine was on with John Rooney last Sunday morning and Levine says that Guillen has privately admitted that Mike Jackson should've knocked Hunter on his ass with the first pitch.

Of course, this is all over and done with now so it doesn't matter. They were discussing whether that incident may have led to Jackson's release later in the year, and Levine said no, it was simply because he was ineffective.

In retrospect, Guillen handled it pretty well with the press. There was no way he could've come out and said "I'm pissed because my relief pitcher didn't drill Hunter." Guillen would've gotten suspended. Further, I bet if Jackson were released immediately thereafter, the Players Association would've been all over it.

Anyway ... I like the competitiveness shown by both El Duque and Rogowski, and I think Guillen handled it well.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
I forgot to post this, but Levine was on with John Rooney last Sunday morning and Levine says that Guillen has privately admitted that Mike Jackson should've knocked Hunter on his ass with the first pitch.

Of course, this is all over and done with now so it doesn't matter.  They were discussing whether that incident may have led to Jackson's release later in the year, and Levine said no, it was simply because he was ineffective.

In retrospect, Guillen handled it pretty well with the press.  There was no way he could've come out and said "I'm pissed because my relief pitcher didn't drill Hunter."  Guillen would've gotten suspended.  Further, I bet if Jackson were released immediately thereafter, the Players Association would've been all over it.

Anyway ... I like the competitiveness shown by both El Duque and Rogowski, and I think Guillen handled it well.

During SoxFest, all that debate on the board about thinking that we got rid of Lee because he didn't retaliate on the bases. It was MJ all along. Ha, thanks for posting that Jim.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
During SoxFest, all that debate on the board about thinking that we got rid of Lee because he didn't retaliate on the bases.  It was MJ all along.  Ha, thanks for posting that Jim.

No it wasn't actually. Ozzies exact words were something like the guy went into second base like his wife was playing shortstop. He was almost definately referring to Carlos.

No it wasn't actually.  Ozzies exact words were something like the guy went into second base like his wife was playing shortstop.  He was almost definately referring to Carlos.

Yes, agree. Carlos was the guy he was referring to. If I am Guillen I can see being teed off about both things ... Jackson not sending Hunter a message and Carlos not making the heads up (maybe aggressive is the better word) play at 2nd base.

Interesting that both guys are gone though ... Jackson didn't even last the season.

Bottom line, I don't think it was one or the other. I believe Guillen was upset with both guys. Some people who were around here last summer when it happened knew how adamant I was that Jackson didn't handle business properly.

And I may be very wrong thinking that way but for better or worse it looks like Guillen and I think the same, at least on this sort of issue.

Jackson and Hunter were buddies from the Twinkies.

He wasn't going to drill him.

Of course, Jackson should have never been on the team.

bullpen should be our biggest improvement this year.

No Koch to blow saves for the first two months.

No Jackson.

And even though Adkins should be improved and more confident, he might not make the team.

Hermanson ain't afraid to hit people either. Doesn't he have to start the season by sitting out a game or two because he hit somebody on the Dodgers the last weekend of the season?

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
Yes, agree.  Carlos was the guy he was referring to.  If I am Guillen I can see being teed off about both things ... Jackson not sending Hunter a message and Carlos not making the heads up (maybe aggressive is the better word) play at 2nd base.

Interesting that both guys are gone though ... Jackson didn't even last the season.

Bottom line, I don't think it was one or the other.  I believe Guillen was upset with both guys.  Some people who were around here last summer when it happened knew how adamant I was that Jackson didn't handle business properly.

And I may be very wrong thinking that way but for better or worse it looks like Guillen and I think the same, at least on this sort of issue.

I always thought that game was the turning point. They could have used that incident to pick themselves and each other up. Yet they rolled over the rest of that game and the series. Don't see that happening this year. Too many "pro's pro's" have been added that won't let the sox go down to 2nd or 3rd place without a fight.