NFL Combine 40 times

T R U

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
Why would you take Rolle or Johnson when you have corners like Peanut, Vasher, Azumah, McQuarters. I really dont think that is a necessity or the weak point of the team. Frank Gore sucks by the way. Not only is he one of the slowest backs in the draft, but he can't ever stay healthy. He was much better before all those knee surgeries. He will be lucky to get drafted.

Wow. Ok, I'll try to stay nice.

"Why would you take Rolle or Johnson when you have corners liek Peanut, Vasher, Azumah, McQuarters?"

I think you answered your own question. McQuarters shouldn't be back in a Bears uniform next year, Peanut looks to be an above-average cornerback in the NFL but is still quite raw and needs work, Vasher had a stellar rookie campaign but he is 5'11, 180 and can't cover the big, aggressive WR, and Azumah is TERRIBLE in coverage. You can't possible be serious about Azumah. Do you like him because he wears a dark visor and returns kicks? Azumah is a glorifed special teams player and should be a nickle corner on most good secondaries.

Rolle is lockdown, something the Bears don't have (sorry). He shut down the much bigger and stronger Larry Fitzgerald last season and has been talked about since high school. Rolle is big, extremely strong, very fast and extremely athletic. The only knock on this kid is his inability to finish off a tackle and break on an INT.

As for Johnson, what can be said of this kid that hasn't already been stated? I've made posts on him all over this forum, I'm too lazy to re-type it, you can dig it out at your lesiure.

Gore is extremely talented. You don't top #1 on the Miami depth charts over both Portis and McGahee if you "suck." Lucky to get drafted? Lucky to get drafted? Dude, stick with baseball. He is this year's diamond in the rough. If he didn't have two blown out years in two consecutive seasons, he would have been a first round selection, hands down. So, no sir, he most certainly does not "suck."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Miami signs a RB, Benson/Brown is ours. If Miami doesn't signa RB, one of Benson/Brown could be ours. Barring ANY situation, one of Edwards/Williams will be there at WR. Johnson WILL be there at LB and Rolle/Jones will be there at CB. No OT good enough to draft 4th.

So.......

Barring a Miami signing of a RB, the Bears possibilities are Benson, Brown, Edwards, Williams, Johnson, Jones, and Rolle.

Let's evaluate:

RB- Not a need but it would be awfully hard to pass up Benson or Brown. Both are phenomenal runners/athletes.

WR- The signing of Mush makes it less of a need but Edwards has Roy Williams type skills. Williams has been slacking and didn't shine at the Combine.

LB: Johnson is the best defensive player in the draft and possibly the best athlete. He's drawn comparisons to Ray Lewis. Johnson, Urlacher, Briggs = Nuff Said.

CB- Not a need but Pac-Man Jones is a true talent at CB. Rolle could be had later in the 1st round if a trade-down happens.

That leaves us with:

Cedric Benson- Likely to go to Miami.

Ronny Brown- Likely to be there at 4.

Braylon Edwards- WILL be there at 4.

Mike Williams- Slipping but WILL be there at 4.

Derrick Johnson- WILL be there at 4.

Antrelle Rolle- WILL be there at 4.

Pac-Man Jones- WILL be there at 4.

Eliminating the possibility of a RB which is not a NEED and CB which is also not a NEED, we are left with:

Edwards, Williams, Johnson

Like I said earlier, signing Mush helped out a lot. I wouldn;t be upset w/ a healthy Rex, TJ, BJ, Mush, Terrell, and Clark out there on O. But, the oppurtunity to have THE BEST LB core in the league with Johnson, Urlacher, Briggs is just too much to pass up. SO, I say draft Johnson.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
Wow.  Ok, I'll try to stay nice.

"Why would you take Rolle or Johnson when you have corners liek Peanut, Vasher, Azumah, McQuarters?"

I think you answered your own question.  McQuarters shouldn't be back in a Bears uniform next year, Peanut looks to be an above-average cornerback in the NFL but is still quite raw and needs work, Vasher had a stellar rookie campaign but he is 5'11, 180 and can't cover the big, aggressive WR, and Azumah is TERRIBLE in coverage.  You can't possible be serious about Azumah.  Do you like him because he wears a dark visor and returns kicks?  Azumah is a glorifed special teams player and should be a nickle corner on most good secondaries.

Rolle is lockdown, something the Bears don't have (sorry).  He shut down the much bigger and stronger Larry Fitzgerald last season and has been talked about since high school.  Rolle is big, extremely strong, very fast and extremely athletic.  The only knock on this kid is his inability to finish off a tackle and break on an INT.

As for Johnson, what can be said of this kid that hasn't already been stated? I've made posts on him all over this forum, I'm too lazy to re-type it, you can dig it out at your lesiure.

Gore is extremely talented.  You don't top #1 on the Miami depth charts over both Portis and McGahee if you "suck." Lucky to get drafted?  Lucky to get drafted?  Dude, stick with baseball.  He is this year's diamond in the rough.  If he didn't have two blown out years in two consecutive seasons, he would have been a first round selection, hands down.  So, no sir, he most certainly does not "suck."

I agree...they are a suspect crew but there is 1 missing factor in your breakdown of the DB's.... Mike Brown was gone. He makes everyone better. Vasher was excellent last season. Tillman was never fully healthy. Azumah and RDub need to stay because of special teams. Just draft an unheard of CB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round is what I say. It's worked 2 years in a row in Vasher and Tillman.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
If Miami signs a RB, Benson/Brown is ours. If Miami doesn't signa RB, one of Benson/Brown could be ours. Barring ANY situation, one of Edwards/Williams will be there at WR. Johnson WILL be there at LB and Rolle/Jones will be there at CB. No OT good enough to draft 4th.

So.......

Barring a Miami signing of a RB, the Bears possibilities are Benson, Brown, Edwards, Williams, Johnson, Jones, and Rolle.

Let's evaluate:

RB- Not a need but it would be awfully hard to pass up Benson or Brown. Both are phenomenal runners/athletes.

WR- The signing of Mush makes it less of a need but Edwards has Roy Williams type skills. Williams has been slacking and didn't shine at the Combine.

LB: Johnson is the best defensive player in the draft and possibly the best athlete. He's drawn comparisons to Ray Lewis. Johnson, Urlacher, Briggs = Nuff Said.

CB- Not a need but Pac-Man Jones is a true talent at CB. Rolle could be had later in the 1st round if a trade-down happens.

That leaves us with:

Cedric Benson- Likely to go to Miami.

Ronny Brown- Likely to be there at 4.

Braylon Edwards- WILL be there at 4.

Mike Williams- Slipping but WILL be there at 4.

Derrick Johnson- WILL be there at 4.

Antrelle Rolle- WILL be there at 4.

Pac-Man Jones- WILL be there at 4.

Eliminating the possibility of a RB which is not a NEED and CB which is also not a NEED, we are left with:

Edwards, Williams, Johnson

Like I said earlier, signing Mush helped out a lot. I wouldn;t be upset w/ a healthy Rex, TJ, BJ, Mush, Terrell, and Clark out there on O. But, the oppurtunity to have THE BEST LB core in the league with Johnson, Urlacher, Briggs is just too much to pass up. SO, I say draft Johnson.

Dude, Ronnie Brown is probably the #1 back in the draft, and if any back is likely headed to Miami, it is him, not Benson.

Also, tradeups are not out of the question. If a team feels that a Ronnie Brown or a Cedric Benson is like exactly what they need, they will trade up...and to answer your question now, the point of the Bears trading down is that the players they need are not good values at 4. If someone is desperate enough, they will trade up with the Bears, get the #4 pick, and maybe the Bears can still look at Williams/Edwards/Williamson/Clayton, whoever it would be that traded up with the Bears.

I just do not think taking a RB at 4 is smart at all. If they had a mid to late first round pick, and nothing they needed was on the board, I could see it(similar to Buffalo 2 years ago picking McGahee at 23)...but they are at 4, and it is guaranteed that one of Edwards and Williams will be there, and I don't think there is anyway you can pass up on that, unless you get a good enough offer to trade down.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)
I agree...they are a suspect crew but there is 1 missing factor in your breakdown of the DB's.... Mike Brown was gone. He makes everyone better. Vasher was excellent last season. Tillman was never fully healthy. Azumah and RDub need to stay because of special teams. Just draft an unheard of CB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round is what I say. It's worked 2 years in a row in Vasher and Tillman.

I completely agree. It is not a drastic weakness that the Bears must adress and definately not somethign that we need to spend a #4 pick on.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
Wow.  Ok, I'll try to stay nice.

I think you answered your own question.  McQuarters shouldn't be back in a Bears uniform next year, Peanut looks to be an above-average cornerback in the NFL but is still quite raw and needs work, Vasher had a stellar rookie campaign but he is 5'11, 180 and can't cover the big, aggressive WR, and Azumah is TERRIBLE in coverage.  You can't possible be serious about Azumah.  Do you like him because he wears a dark visor and returns kicks?  Azumah is a glorifed special teams player and should be a nickle corner on most good secondaries.

Rolle is lockdown, something the Bears don't have (sorry).  He shut down the much bigger and stronger Larry Fitzgerald last season and has been talked about since high school.  Rolle is big, extremely strong, very fast and extremely athletic.  The only knock on this kid is his inability to finish off a tackle and break on an INT.

Gore is extremely talented.  You don't top #1 on the Miami depth charts over both Portis and McGahee if you "suck." Lucky to get drafted?  Lucky to get drafted?  Dude, stick with baseball.  He is this year's diamond in the rough.  If he didn't have two blown out years in two consecutive seasons, he would have been a first round selection, hands down.  So, no sir, he most certainly does not "suck."

Putting it nicely is saying to stick to baseball? I must have missed something.

I am no digging anything out at my leisure. Rolle and Pac Man may be better than anyone the Bears have right now, however, why would we waste a pick on a CB at #4? We are not in dire need of anything on defense.

Second your point is a little off about Gore. He IS one of the slowest RBs in the draft this year, 4.6? He WILL be lucky to get drafted. He DID have two blown out years in two consecutive seasons, with two knee surgeries. He has had only one healthy full season and never really carried the load for a full season. He is not a good pass catcher out of the backfield. He WAS extremely talented 3 or 4 years ago. He DOES currently suck 100 different varieties of ass.