Non-profit start-up

sox4lifeinPA

anyone with experience with this? I'm working on starting an adopt a computer foundation for inner city families. I know people that have P3's sitting in their basements collecting dust, while families in rural and urban areas bust their budgets to get new PCs or just don't have them. I'm working with a couple people on the idea, just thought I'd ask anyone if they had any advice or personal experience.

not a lib, just fulfilling my duties as Christian. often misconstrued, I know.

I've found alot of information on software licensing and appraising donated equipment. I just have to file for status and grants. luckily my dad grant rights for a living, so maybe I can threaten to elope with miss PA in exchange for pro bono work :lol:

I want to start out small, but I'd really like to start a project with the local school district of the inner city near me. I'd like to start an essay writing contest or maybe like a scholarship that the top winners get a computer or something.

I'm focusing on Pentium IIIs and higher, but for beginner PC users, Pentium IIs will do. The main focus is that if they break them, they're not losing hundreds if not thousands of dollars. I think that's a crucial point that we are not focusing on as Americans. We're so "gimme gimme" and fail to teach restraint and use judgement when making purchases. I know I do it all the time. I just feel that Non-profits can take private money and "second hand" equipment and reuse it for individuals who in other circumstances have no access to PCs.

I would also like to set up a PC training center in walking distance of the inner city high school. I think if kids had the options of spending time after school learning to do graphic design, web site design, network solutions, that would increase their desire to get jobs, go to college, and better educate themselves.

(I also have an idea for a music training school as well....same idea as above.)