Could the Big Ten have 10 teams again?

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review...e/s_307414.html

Big East considered adding Penn State, Notre Dame

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

By Rob Biertempfel

The Big East two years ago strongly considered a makeover that would have meant abandoning its basketball-only members and adding Penn State and Notre Dame.

The plan to split the league along football and non-football lines was discussed in meetings in July and October 2003. Pitt chancellor Mark Nordenberg and athletic director Jeff Long attended the July meeting, along with representatives from West Virginia, Syracuse, Rutgers, Connecticut and Boston College.

The proposed shakeup of the Big East was devised after Miami and Virginia Tech bolted the league to join the Atlantic Coast Conference. Minutes of the meeting turned up this week on the Internet, and a source close to the Big East confirmed their authenticity.

Long and Nordenberg declined to comment. John Paquette, Big East associate commisioner for communications, also refused to comment, citing current lawsuits against the Miami and the ACC and against Boston College (which joins the ACC this fall).

The Big East eventually opted to expand to 16 teams -- an affiliation of non-football schools such as Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul and Providence and full members such as Pitt, UConn and WVU.

In the 2003 meetings, however, the Big East powers discussed three plans -- the 16-school grouping, an eight- or nine-school all-sports conference, or a merger of the Big East and Conference USA.

According to the documents, Syracuse athletic director Jack Crouthamel, who helped construct the original Big East, insisted he would resign if the 16-school plan was adopted. Boston College AD Gene DeFlippo said he would do the same.

The six presidents attending the meeting voted unanimously against the 16-school plan, and began to map out a future without the non-football schools.

The documents contained talking points for discussions about the league's reformation: "We as a group genuinely believe that the breakup of the Big East Conference is inevitable -- and probably the best overall scenario for all parties concerned. Toward that end, we suggest that a small group of football representatives meet with a small group of basketball representatives in order to discuss the potential fallout issues associated with this."

If the breakup would have occurred, the five non-football schools would have lost their automatic NCAA postseason bids in other sports.

Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese was assigned with approaching Notre Dame officials about joining the new Big East. Syracuse chancellor Kenneth Shaw said he would speak with Penn State president Graham Spanier about leaving the Big Ten. "Mark Nordenberg will provide his home phone number," according to the documents.

Spanier did not immediately respond to a interview request from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Near the end of the meeting, Tranghese, citing a potential conflict of interest, said he felt "he cannot continue as commissioner ... either with the basketball or the football schools."

Penn State hasn't really had the impact on the Big Ten that everyone thought they would. The league thought it was adding a football powerhouse, but they have yet to win a Big Ten title. They've never really fit into the Big Ten that well. I think that the BCS committee/NCAA might eventually force that move in order to legitimize the football end of that conference and to keep their automatic BCS bid secure.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
Penn State hasn't really had the impact on the Big Ten that everyone thought they would. The league thought it was adding a football powerhouse, but they have yet to win a Big Ten title. They've never really fit into the Big Ten that well. I think that the BCS committee/NCAA might eventually force that move in order to legitimize the football end of that conference and to keep their automatic BCS bid secure.

Yeh they did, 1994.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
Agreed, it took a while for me to notice the 11, but it is the first thing I see when it see the logo.

I never noticed it either until I went to this basketball camp a few years back and the guy who ran the camp pointed it out to everyone and now it's definitely the first thing I notice. And I 2nd wite's response, FedEx has a hidden logo?