Intrasquad game updates

chimpy2121

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...5news&fext=.jsp

Notes: Konerko homers in workout

More regulars to play in Monday's scrimmage

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

Paul Konerko wants all the work he can get this spring after hitting 41 home runs with 117 RBIs last season. (Ed Zurga/AP) 

TUCSON -- It took two pitches and one swing of the bat Sunday to begin what could be another very productive season for Paul Konerko.

Konerko launched a changeup from Freddy Garcia over the left-center field fence on one of the back fields at Tucson Electric Park, a shot covering more than 400 feet, which brought home the first two runs during Sunday's intrasquad contest between the Major League camp and the minor league minicamp. Konerko was the only everyday position player to suit up for the contest, and he exited after flying out to right field one inning later.

Although one of his teammates yelled out "Looks like somebody is ready" following Konerko's blast, the White Sox first baseman didn't count the two at-bats as anything more than a means to an end.

"We have a long way to go," said Konerko with a smile. "It's just one day and there will be ups and downs all spring. The big thing is to peak that last week of the season. Those last four to six games, that's when you really want to feel good.

"You never knew what you will get on the first day of facing live pitching. More times than not, you won't feel too good. But today, I got a couple of good pitches."

News and features:

• Sox rebuff Ordonez's comments

• Sox notes: Konerko homers

• White Sox notes: Politte back in the bullpen

Multimedia:

• GM Ken Williams on Sox's offseason moves

• MLB.com's Scott Merkin on White Sox's offseason

• A.J. Pierzynski conference call

Info:  Schedule  | Ballpark  |  Tickets

MLB.com's complete coverage

Garcia's changeup turned out to be the perfect offering for Konerko, who said his current bat speed is at about changeup level. According to Konerko, a fastball in that same situation would have ended up jamming him.

Ozzie Guillen actually didn't intend to use Konerko in the game, with the White Sox manager targeting this 10-inning contest more for the pitchers than the hitters. Tadahito Iguchi and Aaron Rowand also expressed interest in playing, but Konerko was the only one picking up the extra at-bats.

Repetition is a key for Konerko, as he strives toward last year's 41-home run, 117-RBI effort. Days off don't really matter to him once Spring Training begins.

"I've always liked to hit a lot in the spring," Konerko said. "Some players who know they are going to play the whole season or who have been around a few years will spell themselves or not play as much. But I like to get as many at-bats as I can down here, without over-doing it.

"I just like to clean out the kinks as much as I can down here. I can get my rest in the offseason. I'm here to work."

Rites of spring: Just like an 80-degree day during early March in Arizona, it's a pretty safe bet that Mark Buehrle will want to throw more than he's scheduled even on his first trip to the mound. That situation played out Sunday, when Buehrle exited after three solid innings, longing for more.

"We threw 50 pitches in batting practice with the screen and 45 today, so I kind of wanted to throw a little more," said Buehrle, who allowed three hits and one run during his limited time. "But they have a time schedule so we will be ready for the beginning of the season.

"I felt pretty good. I was keeping my ball down and trying to get more movement on my sinker. Other than that, it's the same as always -- just trying to throw strikes and get guys out."

Buehrle views these intrasquad games as a simple opportunity to get his work and build arm strength. With the inning being called after 15 pitches, he doesn't worry about hits or runs allowed.

High praise: Guillen gave out high grades to all 13 pitchers who threw during the intrasquad game. His words were even more supportive when it came to Jon Adkins, who allowed one walk in two innings.

"Everyone threw the ball absolutely good, but Adkins threw the ball the best," Guillen said. "I'm happy with what I see from him."

Although Adkins is scheduled to start Wednesday's Cactus League opener against Colorado, he appears to be a man without a roster spot-unless the White Sox take 12 pitchers. Guillen cautioned everyone not to write off Adkins quite yet.

"I'm not ruling anybody out," Guillen said. "This kid is special, I keep saying that. When you are trying to make a roster, most people have the tendency to panic and go the wrong way. He will give you everything to make the team."

A little extra: There's little question that Brian Anderson built himself up quite a bit physically during the past offseason. But the White Sox's first-round pick from the 2003 First-Year Player Draft added the 10-to-15 pounds of muscle the right way.

Anderson worked out five to six days per week with close friends from the Anaheim and Tampa Bay organization at the University of Arizona. He also took legal supplements to increase his mass, but it was done with a purpose.

"I felt myself fatiguing at the end of last year," said Anderson, who started his program after finishing action in the Arizona Fall League, with White Sox conditioning coach Allen Thomas sending him the workout regimen. "I'm hoping that extra good weight would help me get through those 20 to 30 games at the end where I was struggling."

Anderson finished 0-for-2 with one walk on Sunday.

On hold: Iguchi might get a few at-bats during Monday's intrasquad game, but he will not play the field. Pablo Ozuna will the start at shortstop for the Major League squad, with Chris Young in center, Joe Borchard in right, Chris Widger at designated hitter, Josh Fields at third, Jerry Owens in left, Jorge Toca at first, Gustavo Molina catching and Pedro Lopez at second.

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

High praise: Guillen gave out high grades to all 13 pitchers who threw during the intrasquad game. His words were even more supportive when it came to Jon Adkins, who allowed one walk in two innings.

"Everyone threw the ball absolutely good, but Adkins threw the ball the best," Guillen said. "I'm happy with what I see from him."

Although Adkins is scheduled to start Wednesday's Cactus League opener against Colorado, he appears to be a man without a roster spot-unless the White Sox take 12 pitchers. Guillen cautioned everyone not to write off Adkins quite yet.

"I'm not ruling anybody out," Guillen said. "This kid is special, I keep saying that. When you are trying to make a roster, most people have the tendency to panic and go the wrong way. He will give you everything to make the team."

Does it seem to anyone else that all Ozzie and KW have been doing lately is hyping up Adkins? Anyone else see that as a sign that Adkins may be as good as gone. Trying to hype his value before they trade him?

On hold: Iguchi might get a few at-bats during Monday's intrasquad game, but he will not play the field. Pablo Ozuna will the start at shortstop for the Major League squad, with Chris Young in center, Joe Borchard in right, Chris Widger at designated hitter, Josh Fields at third, Jerry Owens in left, Jorge Toca at first, Gustavo Molina catching and Pedro Lopez at second.

If your last name is Molina are you destined to be a catcher? How many Molinas are there, and every single one of them catches.