Santo awaits call from Vet Committee

Does Santo belong in the Baseball HoF?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Does Santo belong in the Baseball HoF?

• Yes
    • No

MESA, Ariz. -- If Ron Santo is elected to the Hall of Fame by the veterans committee Wednesday, he won't need to drive from his Scottsdale home to the Cubs' HoHoKam Park for the news conference.

''I'll be flying over,'' he said Monday.

If Santo again fails to get enough votes and doesn't get the phone call he wants late Wednesday morning, he plans to respond with the sounds of silence.

''I'm not going to say anything in that case,'' Santo said. ''There is no doubt that I'd be disappointed, and there is nothing I can say I haven't already. I wouldn't know why it happened again.''

Santo said his health is good but added that the fragility of life is a factor in his mind. He always felt Leo Durocher was slighted by making the Hall after he died.

''I'm kind of like in this bubble as far as health,'' Santo said. ''I'm doing fine, but I have a diseased heart. I do have problems. I just want to be here when it happens. If I get in now, it would make me so much more relaxed.

"You never know with heart disease. Don't get me wrong. I don't worry about dying, but I have been through a lot of adversity, and baseball is what keeps me going.''

Typical of him to play the "I'm Dying" card.

"I'm not saying that not getting in would kill me, but I have a heart problem and this stress CAN'T be good for me - I'm dying and I'd rather get in while I'm alive....I mean, I'm not dying tomorrow, but make no mistake, I AM dying, and maybe soon. So if you guys don't vote me in soon, it might be too late.....not that I'm dying tomorrow or anything.....but I could.....cuz of my heart and the stress of not being in the Hall Of Fame.....indirectly.....but still......"

Ugh.

What an imbecile.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)

"I'm not saying that not getting in would kill me, but I have a heart problem and this stress CAN'T be good for me - I'm dying and I'd rather get in while I'm alive....I mean, I'm not dying tomorrow, but make no mistake, I AM dying, and maybe soon. So if you guys don't vote me in soon, it might be too late.....not that I'm dying tomorrow or anything.....but I could.....cuz of my heart and the stress of not being in the Hall Of Fame.....indirectly.....but still......"

Ugh.

What an imbecile.

while i agree with you that he's a complete imbecile... I do think he deserves to get it in...

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
while i agree with you that he's a complete imbecile... I do think he deserves to get it in...

True, his numbers compare favorably to the 3B of his era.

Playing alongside other HOF players on a team that never won hurt his chances.

But now I want to see him denied, because he's become such a whiny, begging sack about it, and I don't think it sends a good message to children that whining gets you what you want..... :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)

Ugh.

What an imbecile.

I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking the exact samething.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
No to Santo there are to many losing Cub players off those teams already in HOF

that and he pissed off half the veterans committie. they hate him for somethings he said/did as a player

Edited by Kogs35

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
I agree and so would many of you others here if he wasn't a Cub.

Make no mistake - I voted "yes" because he was a good enough ballplayer.

But I don't WANT him to get in because (1) he's a whiner and a tool about it and (2) it's MUCH funnier every year when he's left out.

BLOW UP THE FAKE LEGS, BOIL THE LEG SHRAPNEL IN BEER, PUT THE PROSTHESIS JUICE IN SPAGHETTI SAUCE AND HE'S IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Santo was an all star caliber player, but not a hall of famer.

Of course, I'd have told you the same about Gary Carter and Tony Perez, but both got in, so I dunno.

I'll put Santo right there with Jim Rice and a gang of other players who were very good, but not great.

The fact that he's a Cub lifer couldn't mean less to me. And yes, I can't say that I have even an ounce of respect for the guy after all of his b****ing and moaning, but best of luck to him as far as his health is concerned.

I'm extremely torn on this. He was a very good player that probably deserves it, at least under the current standards (I think he is in that fairly large group of guys that was very good but doesn't really strike you as one of the all-time greats). I'm also extremely sick of hearing about it from everyone associated with the Cubs (you have no idea how sick I am of hearing "his offensive numbers are so much better than Brooks Robinson's :headshake ). I also can't stand him as an announcer. Part of me says let him in so the whining can end, but as others said, whining shouldn't get you what you want.

Santo --

Black Ink: Batting - 11 (201) (Average HOFer ~ 27)

Gray Ink: Batting - 147 (87) (Average HOFer ~ 144)

HOF Standards: Batting - 40.9 (137) (Average HOFer ~ 50)

HOF Monitor: Batting - 88.0 (173) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Minoso --

Black Ink: Batting - 15 (146) (Average HOFer ~ 27)

Gray Ink: Batting - 189 (46) (Average HOFer ~ 144)

HOF Standards: Batting - 35.1 (191) (Average HOFer ~ 50)

HOF Monitor: Batting - 81.0 (200) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Both are fringe candidates --- I don't think it can be overstated how difficult it was for Santo to play at that level with diabetes. Back then, they didn't really understand diet, blood sugar, etc.

Minoso has played in 7 decades I beleive. Impressive.

For the sake of discussion, which 3rd Basemen since about 1960 were as good as or better than Santo? Here's a few.

Mike Schmidt. Head and shoulders better than Santo.

Harmon Killebrew. As a slugger he's better. Not the rest of his game though.

Brooks Robinson. To me, Santo compares to this guy. Brooksie was better with the glove, but honestly, not by much. Santo was a damn good defensive 3B. Santo had a slightly better stick, so I think the offensive and defennsive advantages each had balance out. Robinson was the AL AS 3B every year, and Santo held the NL slot most years. Brooks got more national attention due the O's occasionally making the post season and WS. If he was better than Santo, it's a slight difference, in my opinion.

Anyone else that fits with these guys that I'm not thinking of?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
For the sake of discussion, which 3rd Basemen since about 1960 were as good as or better than Santo?  Here's a few.

Mike Schmidt.  Head and shoulders better than Santo.

Harmon Killebrew.  As a slugger he's better.  Not the rest of his game though.

Brooks Robinson.  To me, Santo compares to this guy.  Brooksie was better with the glove, but honestly, not by much.  Santo was a damn good defensive 3B.  Santo had a slightly better stick, so I think the offensive and defennsive advantages each had balance out.  Robinson was the AL AS 3B every year, and Santo held the NL slot most years.  Brooks got more national attention due the O's occasionally making the post season and WS.  If he was better than Santo, it's a slight difference, in my opinion.

Wasn't Schmidt later than Santo's prime? I think so, but my long-term memory's shot - old age sucks.... :lol:

I think the Brooks Robinson comparison is the most important one, since Brooks was considered the best 3B of the era ( at least after his aforementioned WS heroics, the lack of which hurts Santo the most IMO ). I agree that Santo measures up very well with Robinson's numbers in almost every category, and is better than Brooks in some of them, so on that basis there's no denying that Santo deserves the nod.

....it's still more fun for him not to get in, though..... :D

Yes, Schmidt was later than Santo. He's the guy I measure all thirdbasemen against when considering the possibile classification of greatness. Oh yeah. You have to put George Brett in that catagory. Santo's not in Brett's class either. Just thought of Wade Boggs too. I know he was a helluva a hitter for average, but I always thought Boggs was more concerned with just getting basehits and his batting average than with winning baseball games. Give me Santo over Boggs, as Santo's heart was in the game.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
For the sake of discussion, which 3rd Basemen since about 1960 were as good as or better than Santo?  Here's a few.

Mike Schmidt.  Head and shoulders better than Santo.

Harmon Killebrew.  As a slugger he's better.  Not the rest of his game though.

Brooks Robinson.  To me, Santo compares to this guy.  Brooksie was better with the glove, but honestly, not by much.  Santo was a damn good defensive 3B.  Santo had a slightly better stick, so I think the offensive and defennsive advantages each had balance out.  Robinson was the AL AS 3B every year, and Santo held the NL slot most years.  Brooks got more national attention due the O's occasionally making the post season and WS.  If he was better than Santo, it's a slight difference, in my opinion.

Wade Boggs

George Brett

Eddie Mathews

Brooks Robinson

Mike Schmidt

Killebrew was inducted into the HOF at 1B, although I do recall reading somewhere that he played 3B for a good portion of his career.

HOF

Otherwise, that's about it.

What current third basemen have a shot at getting in when all is said and done? Chipper Jones, Scott Rolen, and Eric Chavez. If Alex Rodriguez and Jeter are NY lifers, A-Rod will go in as a third basemen.

And I'm sure that I'm forgetting somebody.

Sorry guys. I hear cub fans tell me Big Frank does not deserve to get in. Some say he doesnt deserve first ballot, some say he doesnt deserve HOF at all because of being a DH. When I hear this I say if the hall cant hold 2 time mvp (supposed to be 3) Thomas, then Santo should nopt get in.

fwiw I feel Santo does not deserve to get in regardless.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
Wade Boggs

George Brett 

Eddie Mathews 

Brooks Robinson

Mike Schmidt 

Killebrew was inducted into the HOF at 1B, although I do recall reading somewhere that he played 3B for a good portion of his career.

HOF

Otherwise, that's about it.

What current third basemen have a shot at getting in when all is said and done?  Chipper Jones, Scott Rolen, and Eric Chavez.  If Alex Rodriguez and Jeter are NY lifers, A-Rod will go in as a third basemen.

And I'm sure that I'm forgetting somebody.

Yes, Killebrew did play 3rd base.