Adults screwing it up for the kids

Sun Times link

Hope girls to forfeit state trophy

March 1, 2005

BY STEVE TUCKER Staff Reporter

Advertisement

There's no more Hope in the boys Class A basketball tournament.

There was no Harlan in the girls Class AA supersectionals.

And apparently, there was no Hope in last weekend's Class A girls state finals.

On one of the toughest days he's had, Public League director of sports administration Calvin Davis said that the three Public League teams exceeded the Illinois High School Administration's season limitation bylaw.

More at link

In one area or another I've been working in youth programs for 20 years. Nothing screws this up faster and more completely than adults.

One of my most cherished memories was a practice basketball game for 8th grade boys in a Parochial league. The refs did not show up to their $12 per night gig, and the coaches were deciding what to do. The consensus would be each team would put out an Assistant coach to make calls. I suggested the craziest idea. Call your own fouls on yourself. Let's teach these kids sportsmanship and let them know we trust them and all that.

It was probably the best called game all season. Putting these kids on the honor system and they came through. Coaches, being coaches even groaned noticeably over some of the "calls", but soon started smiling and laughing and realizing we had done something right with these boys.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
We have done that for pick up games at the Y for as long as I can remember.  It works just fine.

In MYYYYY DAYYYYYYY, we'd officiate our pickup games every time.

You made the calls correctly, because you didn't want to get jobbed later in the game.

Of course, there'd always be that one little b**** who "got fouled" on every play, or was never thrown out at a base EVER, but that stuff got over-ruled by the rest of us.

Like 2k5 said, worked just fine for us.