Sleeper Prospects 2005

danman31

The '04 version (linked) of this thread was classic with BMac and Bullard going at it along with great discussions about the prospects. It came out a month earlier last year, but hey, better late than never. Hopefully we can have another great discussion. With what should be little surprise the people who correctly picked sleepers were mostly experts. Rex (Spidale), BMac (Tracey), and mccarthyp (Tracey) all have first hand experience with the players more than the rest of us and nailed it on the head. EvilJester99 with a solid (and possibly biased) pick of Baj also was a damn good sleeper pick. Ace also claims he had Tracey as his sleeper, but he receives no credit because he mooched the pick off the McCarthy's. :P

So anyway, let's see who everyone has this year. A couple people made picks in September of 04 and a couple others have it in their sigs, but as we are in Spring Training it's more sensible to make a pick here and now.

As for my pick I was going to take Adam Ricks, but he's been taken by DBAH0. And then I thought Tyler Lumsden (though I don't know how much of a sleeper he is), but he has also been picked thanks to SoxAce. In my continuing effort to be different I must pick a player before anyone else. :lol: I'm going with Adam Russell because he was developed going into the draft with 3 pitches. He's also suppposed to have a good head on his shoulders as in he's coachable. I think he's a good pick. I also like Evan Tartaglia (good speed, draws walks) and Lucas Harrell (young pitcher with good fastball).

P.S. We are getting the FutureSox Top 25 out this week. Jason should be able to get it out sometime very soon, but then again he is very lazy so who knows when it will come out lol.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
The '04 version (linked) of this thread was classic with BMac and Bullard going at it along with great discussions about the prospects. It came out a month earlier last year, but hey, better late than never. Hopefully we can have another great discussion. With what should be little surprise the people who correctly picked sleepers were mostly experts. Rex (Spidale), BMac (Tracey), and mccarthyp (Tracey) all have first hand experience with the players more than the rest of us and nailed it on the head. EvilJester99 with a solid (and possibly biased) pick of Baj also was a damn good sleeper pick. Ace also claims he had Tracey as his sleeper, but he receives no credit because he mooched the pick off the McCarthy's. :P

So anyway, let's see who everyone has this year. A couple people made picks in September of 04 and a couple others have it in their sigs, but as we are in Spring Training it's more sensible to make a pick here and now.

As for my pick I was going to take Adam Ricks, but he's been taken by DBAH0. And then I thought Tyler Lumsden (though I don't know how much of a sleeper he is), but he has also been picked thanks to SoxAce. In my continuing effort to be different I must pick a player before anyone else. :lol: I'm going with Adam Russell because he was developed going into the draft with 3 pitches. He's also suppposed to have a good head on his shoulders as in he's coachable. I think he's a good pick. I also like Evan Tartaglia (good speed, draws walks) and Lucas Harrell (young pitcher with good fastball).

P.S. We are getting the FutureSox Top 25 out this week. Jason should be able to get it out sometime very soon, but then again he is very lazy so who knows when it will come out lol.

Am I allowed to take AAP?? If so I got Wes then. Also, does he count as a sleeper?? If not I'll make a different choice.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 3 2004, 10:58 PM)

Just throwing a name out there for no reason other than a hunch.......

Mike Spidale 

Geez, I was a man of many words in that thread. I can't recall the last time I was so short and to the point. Maybe I should try that again sometime.....

I have a few in mind for this year, but need a day or two to sort through them. I shall return.

I will take Andy Gonzalez. Granted I only seen him for a few games in Bham Last season but he is starting to develop some of that power the Sox's were hoping for when they took him in 2001. I believe that his power numbers will increase this year to go along with a plus batter's eye and improving D. Andy is still very raw and it is a huge gamble to go with him but he impressed me a little when I seen him.

Thanks Tom

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Am I allowed to take AAP??  If so I got Wes then.  Also, does he count as a sleeper??  If not I'll make a different choice.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to take your AAP. Whisler I suppose could be considered a bit of a sleeper as he hasn't proven himself yet. It's all up to you, it's just the rest of us may not deem him a possible sleeper. ;)

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
I can't see why you wouldn't be able to take your AAP. Whisler I suppose could be considered a bit of a sleeper as he hasn't proven himself yet. It's all up to you, it's just the rest of us may not deem him a possible sleeper. ;)

Fair enough, then I'll pick someone else :P

As Dan said, I took Adam Ricks. Had an excellent first season of rookie ball coming out of Miami, and I think he'll continue that, as he'll probably start the season of at low A Kanny. He's meant to be taking some games at catcher as well, which will only increase his value. Is an excellent contact guy and should have a high OBP. Phil Rogers thought long - term he could be a better catcher than Donny Lucy.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 06:09 AM)
As Dan said, I took Adam Ricks. Had an excellent first season of rookie ball coming out of Miami, and I think he'll continue that, as he'll probably start the season of at low A Kanny. He's meant to be taking some games at catcher as well, which will only increase his value. Is an excellent contact guy and should have a high OBP. Phil Rogers thought long - term he could be a better catcher than Donny Lucy.

Where did you hear that he was going to be a catcher this year?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Where did you hear that he was going to be a catcher this year?

In one of Phil Rogers' chat wraps I thought I recalled him saying he was going to take some reps at catcher and he was a better prospect than Lucy, but I could be wrong on that, and he might just stay at second.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
In one of Phil Rogers' chat wraps I thought I recalled him saying he was going to take some reps at catcher and he was a better prospect than Lucy, but I could be wrong on that, and he might just stay at second.

One contact guy you might like is Adam Ricks. He played second at the University of Miami last year but figures to catch next year. He should be an OBP guy.

I actually like Adam Ricks, who I mentioned earlier, better than the catcher they drafted -- Stanford's Donny Lucy. Ricks is a real sleeper.

That's what he said. I think he was speculating that Ricks would be a catcher this year with possible inside info. I think he was referring to Ricks as a better prospect as a hitter, his comment had nothing to do with catching ability.

Also, you guys just stole the sleeper pick from him. I hereby rule Ricks a non-sleeper pick because everyone is taking him. :P

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
That's what he said. I think he was speculating that Ricks would be a catcher this year with possible inside info. I think he was referring to Ricks as a better prospect as a hitter, his comment had nothing to do with catching ability.

Also, you guys just stole the sleeper pick from him. I hereby rule Ricks a non-sleeper pick because everyone is taking him. :P

Phil Rogers stole that from me and you know it. ;)

Hey, everyone! Haven't posted in quite some time. It's good to see the minor league board getting busier. Anyway, back to my sleeper pick-

I'll go with someone I haven't heard talked about at all: Daniel Haigwood. I also think Ray Liotta will break out this year.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
I'll go with someone I haven't heard talked about at all:  Daniel Haigwood.  I also think Ray Liotta will break out this year.

Haigwood isn't as underappreciated as you think. If Jason would get the top 25 out, you'll see he made the list.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
Haigwood isn't as underappreciated as you think. If Jason would get the top 25 out, you'll see he made the list.

Lol, thats cause we all know I'm a huge Haigwood fan. I think him and Rodriguez stand at simliar points and both would be my sleeper picks as well. Hell, I have so many it would be a new pick every day.

Also, I think you'll see Donny Lucy produce.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Demetrius Banks, who should just be named Corwin Malone II.

Is he going to start this season? I remember him being the closer for Great Falls, but pitching 2-3 innings per outing often times. That seems like a lot for a guy the Sox plan on using as a closer.