Sleeper Prospects 2005

danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Is he going to start this season? I remember him being the closer for Great Falls, but pitching 2-3 innings per outing often times. That seems like a lot for a guy the Sox plan on using as a closer.

I'd hope not, but he still reminds me a lot of Corwin. He walks far too many hitters but his stuff is very, very good.

Alright, I'll take my shot in the dark...

(And before I do -- I want to apologize to Randar, because, though I haven't seen you post a lot, you've hinted that this kid might do some damage -- i.e. good eye, but still raw...)

Jerry Owens. I really hope he turns out to be something, because that was one of the best moves Kenny has made during his tenure, albeit a small move. Turning a waiver-wire pickup in Escobar into an older, but still raw and potentially very solid prospect in Owens.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
(And before I do -- I want to apologize to Randar, because, though I haven't seen you post a lot, you've hinted that this kid might do some damage -- i.e. good eye, but still raw...)

LOL! Thanks. What's with people picking Ryan Sweeney, or Gio? I thought sleeper picks would be guys who were under the radar, not top 10 prospects or top 1-2 round draft picks...

Allen is still a year away from breakout, IMO, pretty raw at this point yet. Nobody has mentioned Lucas Harrell or Adam Russell? Where have ye gone, Ricardo Nanita? LOL! Is this the year Thomas Brice displays some of that power? Owens is a pretty good prospect that I like, but he'll never will hit for power, meaning he's going to have to hit .300+ and steal a ton of bases and take a bunch of walks for the publications to really take notice of him...

Rodriguez and Haigwood are solid picks if they can both stay away from injury. Chris Young has already arrived as a top prospect, and is a good season from becomming an elite prospect if he can up that average 20 points in W-S. Phil Rogers ruined my fun by putting Francisco Hernandez on his top 10 list. That guy is a stud. With all that said, I figure I've got to take guys outside of the top 10 who have the best chances to vault into top 10 prospects this year...

so... I'm going to take Wes Whisler at pitcher and Robert Valido as a position player as my emerging top prospects (sleeper picks).

Whisler's stuff is as good as anyone in the entire organization. Throws 4 above average pitches... consistency and confidence are the only things standing between him and stardom.

Since he was drafted, I've been steadfast that Robert Valido is the top SS prospect in the system... He's AT LEAST on par defensively at SS with Pedro Lopez, and IMO, he has more potential at the plate than Lopez, who is neither all that patient or anything more than a singles hitter. Valido faded in the second half last year after a very solid first-half that landed him on the SAL All-Star team in his first year in a full-season league. He will be at Winston-Salem, so keep an eye on him.

I will go with Jerry Owens as a position player primed for a breakout year. I just saw this guy play in person a few times last week and I like his thought process at the plate. In addition, he's smooth in the outfield.

For a pitcher ... Paulino Reynoso. Lefthander with a live arm, had the scouts talking at the Sox-Padres game in Peoria.

I also think Rob Valido is an excellent choice, he has skills and is still very young. He held his own last year at age 19 and that says a lot.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
I will go with Jerry Owens as a position player primed for a breakout year.  I just saw this guy play in person a few times last week and I like his thought process at the plate.  In addition, he's smooth in the outfield.

For a pitcher ... Paulino Reynoso.  Lefthander with a live arm, had the scouts talking at the Sox-Padres game in Peoria.

I also think Rob Valido is an excellent choice, he has skills and is still very young.  He held his own last year at age 19 and that says a lot.

Reynoso has a million dollar arm and in the past, has shown the 10 cent head, IMO... He hasn't thrown enough strikes, works painfully slow, especially with runners on base, and overall, just didn't seem like he had anything you look for in a pitcher other than an arm...

That being said, this spring, he's worked faster and shown better command. If he can put it together, I agree, he has a lot of potential. Consistent low-90's LH'd pitcher with a good breaker...

• 4 months later...
QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
The season isn't over yet, but I was reading this again and it was a good read. I figure it's worth a bump. Overall everyone did pretty well, other than everyone wanting to pick Adam Ricks.

Yep as in me (I must have some kind of curse when it comes to sleeper picks). Only hitting .236 (which granted is better than earlier in the year), but only slugging .293.

But there's still light at the end of the tunnel no doubt;

BB/K ratio - 54/39

OBP - .385

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
I am going to reach deep into my hat and pick Montgomery Texas's own Brandon Allen. (mostly because I lived down there for a couple of summers)

Allen is having a pretty solid season in half season Great Falls. Projected to a full season he is looking at about 30 HRs and 100 RBI at 19 years old in his first full season of professional baseball.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...milb&pid=450315

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Lol, thats cause we all know I'm a huge Haigwood fan.  I think him and Rodriguez stand at simliar points and both would be my sleeper picks as well.  Hell, I have so many it would be a new pick every day.

Also, I think you'll see Donny Lucy produce.

Not too shabby. Rodriguez hasn't been as consistent as I like, but I've noticed him making some strides as of late.

Haig has been awesome and Lucy has been a lot better this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Not too shabby.  Rodriguez hasn't been as consistent as I like, but I've noticed him making some strides as of late.

Haig has been awesome and Lucy has been a lot better this year.

Jas, you and I were right on with the Haigwood pick, that's for sure.