Cliches

mreye

"I've gotta piss like a racehorse!"

Do race horses piss more than, say a work horse or any other animal for that matter?

"It's as cold as a witches tit!"

Are witches' tit really that cold?

Any ideas? :huh

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
"I've gotta piss like a racehorse!"

Do race horses piss more than, say a work horse or any other animal for that matter?

"It's as cold as a witches tit!"

I always was told this expression was because racehorses run so fast because they have to pee.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
I always was told this expression was because racehorses run so fast because they have to pee.

So you shouldn't bet on one that takes a leak prior to the race? :lol:

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
So you shouldn't bet on one that takes a leak prior to the race?  :lol:

Nope never. :)

And one of my fave cliches is: It's cold enough to freeze a brass monkey's balls off.

Here's some clichés with answers:

"It's raining cats and dogs."

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the dogs, cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence, the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

"dirt poor"

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying "dirt poor."

"saved by the bell"

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a "bone-house" and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they thought they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the "graveyard shift") to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer."

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
Jackpot mreye...have a ball!!

http://www.yaelf.com/vcmf.shtml

They reference "witches tit" towards the end

Awesome. Thanks.

Raining harder than A double c***ed cow pissing off a cliff through a screen door [on to a flat rock].
:huh

Softer than s*** in a sneaker (= "trainer" in the UK).
:puke