Hurricanes beat the Marlins

Florida Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis was hit hard in his spring debut Tuesday as the University of Miami zinged him with metal bats. Willis gave up six runs and six hits in 2 1/3 innings as the college team won 9-7 in an exhibition at Jupiter, Fla.

"I was throwing right where I wanted to," Willis said. "With the talented team they have and the bats they had, they were just turning everything around."

Willis said he was particularly surprised by the sound of the bat hitting the ball.

"When the ball came back at me, the ping was so loud I thought it was harder than it was, so I kind of jumped back," he said.

New Marlin Carlos Delgado went 0-for-2 with a strikeout.

Miami is 10-3 this season and ranked 11th. But the victory was the Hurricanes' first against a major-league team since March 10, 1982, when they beat Baltimore 7-6.

The Pittsburgh Pirates had better luck, beating Valparaiso 12-0 in Bradenton, Fla.

Are the canes ranked? I watched them play against FSU a few times when I was going to school there for a time...

FSU was always ranked high and I attended games, but it's just not the same at all...

Not to bash college baseball, but I liken it to watching professional women's basketball...You see the effort and the talent, but it just doesn't feel like real baseball. :P

(Ok, that's a bit harsh.)

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Are the canes ranked?  I watched them play against FSU a few times when I was going to school there for a time...

FSU was always ranked high and I attended games, but it's just not the same at all...

Not to bash college baseball, but I liken it to watching professional women's basketball...You see the effort and the talent, but it just doesn't feel like real baseball.  :P

(Ok, that's a bit harsh.)

They were ranked #11 as of that game.