Iguchi adjusting to America

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Iguchi adjusting to America

Sox have faith second baseman can make transition

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

TUCSON -- The ball came off the bat of Colorado's Andy Tracy, took four or five quick hops to Tadahito Iguchi and settled easily into the second baseman's glove. He straightened up and fired a strike to Paul Konerko at first for the initial assist of his career in the United States.

Iguchi already looked to be settled in as part of the White Sox infield. But it will take more than a routine grounder during the Cactus League opener to help the Far Eastern import assimilate to the American style of baseball and the country itself.

In just over one week, Iguchi already has dealt with an amoeba of 15 or 16 Japanese reporters who follow his every move upon arriving at Tucson Electric Park. He has a translator to help him understand instructions from manager Ozzie Guillen and his coaches, not to mention his teammates. He also has the luxury of closer Shingo Takatsu, a fellow countryman from Japan, already having played one year with the White Sox.

But it will be up to Iguchi himself to find a comfort zone as a player, both on and off the field. The White Sox don't seem to be worried about the process.

"Iguchi looks like he has his act together," said Konerko of his newest teammate. "He's a veteran ballplayer. You see his mannerisms on ground balls and how sure he is of himself. He doesn't look like a young guy here. He's been around and comfortable and knows what it takes to get ready."

"Those [Japanese players] have played for a little while," Guillen added. "Japanese baseball is pretty good, even though it's not the big leagues. They know what they are doing. They have sound fundamentals."

Guillen remembers his first time coming to the United States, a 16-year-old from Venezuela who didn't speak one word of English. It was the first time he ever flew on an airplane, and the first time he went to a country that spoke a language other than Spanish.

Being good at what he did was Guillen's lone driving force. But he also was forced to learn the English language because he didn't have many Latin teammates.

"When you don't understand what people talk about and you are just there, you look like you are a deaf mute," Guillen said. "That makes you uncomfortable."

That particular discomfort was noticed in Takatsu during his first year with the White Sox. He struggled during Spring Training, posting a 6.75 earned run average under the pressure of increased media attention and while pitching in the thin air of Arizona.

Eventually, Takatsu not only found a home in the White Sox bullpen but became an immovable force as the team's closer. Takatsu finished second in the American League Rookie of the Year voting, behind Oakland shortstop Bobby Crosby.

Takatsu agreed with Guillen in that the language barrier was a major problem early on, but he also had to adjust to a much looser practice regimen in the United States. Then, there was the issue of finding something good to eat.

"I like Japanese food a lot," said Takatsu through his translator. "I had trouble eating American food when I first came over here."

Like many Americans, Takatsu gradually caught on to the fast food culture -- without suffering through any appreciable weight gain. His favorite restaurant in the United States stands a couple notches above short order.

"Hooters," said Takatsu in response to the question, an answer that did not need to be translated.

Neither Takatsu nor Iguchi's move to the United States rate as big as players such as Ichiro Suzuki in Seattle or Hideki Matsui in New York. Although all White Sox games won't be televised back to Japan, there still is plenty of interest in their accomplishments.

Hideki Okuda, who writes for Sports Nippon, pointed to a different strike zone, new pitching styles and the ball movement on the pitches as baseball-related adjustments facing Iguchi. He didn't believe the cultural differences would be that hard to overcome.

"I don't think it's so significant," Okuda said. "We are accustomed to American culture when we were kids. We saw a lot of American television. We had [American] food, clothes, music, everything."

Iguchi, 30, hit second in the White Sox lineup Wednesday against Colorado. With Scott Podsednik on second and nobody out in the first inning, Iguchi tried to hit the ball to the right side but lined out to Aaron Miles at second. He grounded into a force play at second in the third and also laid down a perfect sacrifice bunt.

The expectations placed upon Iguchi, who hit .333 and .340 during the last two seasons in Japan, already have been lessened by comments from general manager Ken Williams. He told Iguchi to forget about the personal numbers and just do what he can to contribute to a winning team.

Playing 162 games, as opposed to the 130 or 135 in Japan, weighs as a concern for Iguchi. He's also not exactly looking forward to the long plane rides, after having to travel no more than two to three hours between Japanese stadiums.

But the biggest adjustment for Iguchi might be his new manager. As Guillen joked, it's hard to come to a team and not speak English when your manager doesn't either.

"I've never seen anything like him," said Iguchi with a laugh in regards to Guillen. "But right now, I'm thinking of how to adjust to the style of play here."

Spring Training has been relatively easy for Iguchi, who has ventured out to a few restaurants in Tucson and spent time in the Jacuzzi and pool where he is staying during free moments. He doesn't know much about Chicago, but he has heard about the majestic skyline from Takatsu.

Iguchi also knows about the star treatment Takatsu received in Chicago, with a gong going off and a standing ovation to follow every time he entered the game at U.S. Cellular Field. Iguchi hopes to earn the same respect and feel just as much at home in the Windy City.

"I will enjoy myself with the fans, and I hope they enjoy me playing," Iguchi said. "I have good technique and good balance. I just want to give my all and perform at my best."

Has Shingo picked up on any English? I can see him in the Sox Pride commercials:

"Haylo. I em Shingo Takastsu and I em cluzer for de Whi Sox. Joy as fo fiyawooks nite on Avguzt twinty six for a greet nite off vun."

"Iguchi already has dealt with an amoeba of 15 or 16 Japanese reporters"

a·moe·ba also a·me·ba ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mb)

n. pl. a·moe·bas or a·moe·bae

Any of various one-celled aquatic or parasitic protozoans of the genus Amoeba or related genera, having no definite form and consisting of a mass of protoplasm containing one or more nuclei surrounded by a flexible outer membrane. It moves by means of pseudopods

:huh:

Edited by joemg311

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
LMAO if anyone finds this inappropriate delete it.

Shingo's never seen hooters that big.

I just picture him sitting there, staring at all the girls, with that big smile on his face :D , and hot wing sauce all over himself. Priceless.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
I just picture him sitting there, staring at all the girls, with that big smile on his face :D , and hot wing sauce all over himself.  Priceless.

Now that ^ is FUNNY! :lolhitting

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Wow, you guys gotta tell me which Hooters you've been to. The two I've been to had below average looking waitresses with too much make up on.....and the wings taste like plastic.

If Shingo enjoys it there, wait til they REALLY take him out....to a gentleman's club. ;)

The one in Downers Grove is good.