Frank to be in camp Monday!

Allsox

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
I can see Frank staying for extended Sprint training.  Being back by mid-May earliest

LMAO... that's funny.

He'll be in Chicago with the team on 4/4.. and I say playing by the time Baltimore rolls into town.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Wow.  That put a big smile on my face.  It's been a long off-season, I can't wait to get back so Sunny, spring afternoons with a "White Sox Winner!"

Don't push it though Big Fella.  I'd rather you take your time and come back 100%.

:gosox3:

:D Is that the big smile? I have it too. Frank's my favorite, so I can't wait for him to get back in the game. Come on Frank!

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Thomas to arrive at camp Monday

Slugger awaits physical examination on Thursday

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Frank Thomas should arrive at White Sox camp Monday, pending a Thursday examination by Dr. Richard Ferkel in Los Angeles. Trainer Herm Schneider delivered the news, but quickly put a halt to any question regarding Thomas' readiness for the regular season.

"It will be a very slow process, and there's no, no, no, no, no timetable," Schneider said. "So, don't ask me when he will be ready to play because I'm not going to be able to answer that.

"The legs have to be strong and he really hasn't done anything since June of last season. It takes a while to get back into the swing of things. He's not a little guy. He's a big guy. So, you have to be safe."

Thomas had surgery on his left ankle in early October, repairing a fractured navicular bone, suffered during a game at Florida in June of the 2004 season. At the time of Dr. Ferkel's procedure, it was projected that the White Sox career leader in home runs would be sidelined four to six months.

With Thomas now into his sixth month of recovery, Schneider said it's time for him to take the next step. Assuming all of Thomas' tests return as positive during Thursday's examination, he might even take part in some light baseball activity upon his arrival.

There will be quite a few hours ahead for Thomas in Schneider's training room at Tucson Electric Park. But Schneider said that he wouldn't be treating Thomas to the point of excess.

"He'll be in here enough," Schneider said. "We are not going to overdo it. There's only so much you can do. You can't re-invent the wheel. Just do what you can do and see how he recovers the next day."

The results of Thomas' examination in Los Angeles should be known later Thursday or definitely by Friday morning.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)

The important part of the article is that since Frank fractured the navicular (the keystone of the arch of the foot) he has not been able to stregthen his legs. I'm sure he was non-weight bearing for quite awhile. With his hitting mechanics and any mechanics for that matter it all starts with the legs. That will be the determining factor. But if anyone can get him back quickly its Hermie.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
The important part of the article is that since Frank fractured the navicular (the keystone of the arch of the foot) he has not been able to stregthen his legs. I'm sure he was non-weight bearing for quite awhile. With his hitting mechanics and any mechanics for that matter it all starts with the legs. That will be the determining factor. But if anyone can get him back quickly its Hermie.

What do you do with a guy like that? Resistance machines? Stretching? Running? He's going to want to hit the first day, do you let him?

I know you haven't seen him but what would be the usual protocol?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
What do you do with a guy like that?  Resistance machines? Stretching? Running?  He's going to want to hit the first day, do you let him?

I know you haven't seen him but what would be the usual protocol?

The usual protocol starts with pool exercises. There are devices which allow you to run weightless in the water. Then you do low impact things such as stairmaster and inclined leg presses. Eventually as long as the bone is fully healed they'll add an arch support with enough cushioning to decrease the impact forces. If all this is OK, the jogging and running start on even sufacrs progressing to uneven surfaces. I'm not sure where he is at but that is the typical progression for his type of injury.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
The usual protocol starts pool exercises. There are devices which allow you to run weightless in the water. Then you do low impact things such as stairmaster and inclined leg presses. Eventually as long as the bone is fully healed they'll add an arch support with enough cushioning to decrease the impact forces. If all this is OK, the jogging and running start on even sufacrs progressing to uneven surfaces. I'm not sure where he is at but that is the typical progression for his type of injury.

After reading the artcile, my guess is that he is at the lowimpact stage of the rehab process. With his size and hitting style, my guess for return to full speed playing would be about 6 weeks maybe 8 depending on how his body/foot reacts to the impact and what type of orthotic they put in his shoe.

Edited by ptatc