Internet effects on Youth

Controlled Chaos

Not that I am old or anything, but things are way more advanced and kids learn about a lot more s*** earlier than I ever did and I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it will have a lasting effect?

I mean if you are 30 or up...Just think what it was like first time you saw a playboy or something. It was like a big deal. Whoa...titties.

Hell. now kids see that way before we ever did and they see a hell of a lot more. Things that were taboo to us....they can see anytime they want. I mean its one thing to see tits and ass and a whole other thing to see gang bangs, chicks with animals, dominatrix stuff. I mean just think of some of the sick images you have seen online and imagine how the hell you would have reacted or what you would have thought if you were 13 seening it.

How do kids handle it? How do parents handle it?

come on son....sit down, lets have a talk about women blowing horses?

I mean WTF how do you handle that??

There's always been sexual thoughts, its just up to the parents to "Control" the "Chaos" (sorry, had to do that, haha)

As a kid reaches puberty, he's gonna be interested in the opposite sex, etc. and the absolute worst thing a parent can do is completely deny it like it doesn't exist. That just leads to uninformed choices for the kids, makes it look a lot more appealing and leads to much more risk behavior. (The same can be said about drugs etc.) How about an actual discussion of a risk-benefit analysis?

I think if parents stop letting the TV, PlayStation, X-Box or the computer be the child's babysitter then we wouldn't have to blame "movies, TV, video games" etc. for the ills of the world. There's always been violence and sex -- so its obvious that these current incarnations in movies etc. are not the cause of the problems -- its just another symptom of poor parenting (i.e. putting GTA: San Andreas in the hands of a 6 year old) blaming something convenient instead of parents taking responsibility for the little cabbages they spit out.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
There's always been sexual thoughts, its just up to the parents to "Control" the "Chaos" (sorry, had to do that, haha)

As a kid reaches puberty, he's gonna be interested in the opposite sex, etc. and the absolute worst thing a parent can do is completely deny it like it doesn't exist.  That just leads to uninformed choices for the kids, makes it look a lot more appealing and leads to much more risk behavior.  (The same can be said about drugs etc.)  How about an actual discussion of a risk-benefit analysis?

I think if parents stop letting the TV, PlayStation, X-Box or the computer be the child's babysitter then we wouldn't have to blame "movies, TV, video games" etc. for the ills of the world.  There's always been violence and sex -- so its obvious that these current incarnations in movies etc. are not the cause of the problems -- its just another symptom of poor parenting (i.e. putting GTA: San Andreas in the hands of a 6 year old) blaming something convenient instead of parents taking responsibility for the little cabbages they spit out.

I agree with ya here, but those are answers to the same problems that have been tackling parents for ages.

Explaining the things that any kid can see on the internet today is a whole different story. Even good parenting can't help what a kid might stumble upon doing a google search.

I was shielded from graphic images and scenes when I was younger. It would be funny though. For instance, if I was watching a movie with my Dad and something came up he'd say "What are you looking at?" or "Close your eyes." He would also mute the TV. At first, you don't really know what going on....thats the really young stage. Then you know whats going on but don't look.....thats the 5-9 stage. Then there is knowing and "peeking"....thats the 10-12 stage. After that, most parents don't care because puberty is coming on. I'm 15 and have experienced all these stages. **Wink**