Wwo, Unoffcical is ridiculous!

shagar69

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
i'm so tired of listening to drunks today.

have fun tommorow, karma's a b****.

Exactly. Some drunk f*** picked a fight with a guy in front of CO's. I was on the way to get a coffee & say hi to a friend that works at the Espresso Royale on the corner. I had to duck a punch walking by because these two drunk frat bastards didn't have the sobriety to f***ing hit one another.

I wish that their parents' HMO plan had an option for abortion I am so sick of this goddamn day that I could shoot blood out of my eyes. As my friend Dann said today:

But today is my least favorite day of the year. From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep completely sober, I have a massive chip on my shoulder. A plague of green-clad, suburb-dwelling mutant locusts descends on Champaign-Urbana once every year. Their sole mission in life: Spend all nineteen hours that some campus bars remain open on this day getting completely drunk. To what do I owe this plague? They call it Unofficial.

Unofficial St. Patrick's Day has become something of a tradition on this campus, on par with having no front seven on the football team or claiming residency in a city one's parents live sixty miles away from. Apparently, St. Patrick's day always fell either during spring break or in the midst of spring semester midterms. Brilliant enablers and problem drinkers, these Hellenicized parasites are. If they were going to be unable to make it out to St. Patrick's Day, they were going to damn well bring the day to them. It began with C.O. Daniel's, the bar whose claim to fame is that you have less of a chance of becoming infected with an airborne sexual disease there than at neighboring establishment Kam's. The beer apparently flows and goes down green and invariably makes a return visit in a similar hue.

Over time, St. Patrick's Day has been transformed from a traditional Catholic feast day into a secular holiday celebrating Irish heritage and culture. Dublin, Ireland, has an annual cultural festival that attracts thousands of people from all over the country and Europe. American cities with large Irish populations, such as New York City, Boston and Chicago have parades. Chicago dyes the Chicago River green (they do so fine a job it stays that way year-round). But this international celebration of Irish culture has been expanded beyond this secular celebration. Granted, the wearing of the green has been accompanied by the drinking of the ale, but the sense of community fostered by this celebration has been demeaned by the perpetrators of this cultural travesty called Unofficial into obnoxiously oafish drunkenness with no socially or culturally redeeming value.

As I mentioned in the "official" thread, my dad said it wasn't until recently that partying happened in Ireland on St Patrick's day (he came over here late 1971 and his brother goes back annually). He said the local town where he grew up still doesn't party - it's a time for family and sharing a meal or at least a cup of tea. As much of a drinker as my dad was when I was growing up, St Patrick's Day was one day where he didn't drink.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Exactly.  Some drunk f*** picked a fight with a guy in front of CO's.  I was on the way to get a coffee & say hi to a friend that works at the Espresso Royale on the corner.  I had to duck a punch walking by because these two drunk frat bastards didn't have the sobriety to f***ing hit one another.

I wish that their parents' HMO plan had an option for abortion  I am so sick of this goddamn day that I could shoot blood out of my eyes.  As my friend Dann said today:

But today is my least favorite day of the year. From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep completely sober, I have a massive chip on my shoulder. A plague of green-clad, suburb-dwelling mutant locusts descends on Champaign-Urbana once every year. Their sole mission in life: Spend all nineteen hours that some campus bars remain open on this day getting completely drunk. To what do I owe this plague? They call it Unofficial.

Unofficial St. Patrick's Day has become something of a tradition on this campus, on par with having no front seven on the football team or claiming residency in a city one's parents live sixty miles away from. Apparently, St. Patrick's day always fell either during spring break or in the midst of spring semester midterms. Brilliant enablers and problem drinkers, these Hellenicized parasites are. If they were going to be unable to make it out to St. Patrick's Day, they were going to damn well bring the day to them. It began with C.O. Daniel's, the bar whose claim to fame is that you have less of a chance of becoming infected with an airborne sexual disease there than at neighboring establishment Kam's. The beer apparently flows and goes down green and invariably makes a return visit in a similar hue.

Over time, St. Patrick's Day has been transformed from a traditional Catholic feast day into a secular holiday celebrating Irish heritage and culture. Dublin, Ireland, has an annual cultural festival that attracts thousands of people from all over the country and Europe. American cities with large Irish populations, such as New York City, Boston and Chicago have parades. Chicago dyes the Chicago River green (they do so fine a job it stays that way year-round). But this international celebration of Irish culture has been expanded beyond this secular celebration. Granted, the wearing of the green has been accompanied by the drinking of the ale, but the sense of community fostered by this celebration has been demeaned by the perpetrators of this cultural travesty called Unofficial into obnoxiously oafish drunkenness with no socially or culturally redeeming value.

f***in A! Great post! I particularly like the part about not having a front 7. :lol: