Notes: Pitchers ignore early results

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Pitchers ignore early results

Sox starters easing into routine for regular season

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

TUCSON -- It's a good thing that Freddy Garcia doesn't worry about pitching statistics during Spring Training because the numbers weren't very good for the White Sox starters during Friday's split-squad action.

Garcia allowed two runs on four hits over three innings during a 7-5 victory over Colorado at Hi Corbett Field, and Jon Garland gave up three earned runs on four hits in three innings of his own. But Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez faced the most trouble during his Cactus League debut.

Arizona touched the veteran right-hander for six runs on six hits in three innings, including home runs from Shawn Green and Jose Cruz, Jr., during the Diamondbacks' 10-8 victory at Tucson Electric Park on Friday. El Duque previously had pitched in Florida while in Spring Training camp with the Yankees, but wouldn't blame his troubles on the thin air of Arizona.

"Not good," Hernandez said. "My control wasn't very good today. Every pitch was high in the zone. It was my first start. I'm not happy, but it doesn't matter to me. I feel good. I feel fine. That's it. I need to work here."

Hernandez's pitching woes didn't seem to bother manager Ozzie Guillen. He mentioned that Hernandez stuck with a steady diet of fastballs, including situations in which he might go with a slider during regular-season contests.

Guillen also pointed out that Hernandez is a flyball pitcher, and if you leave a fastball up in Arizona, hitters are going to get on it. But Guillen didn't seem worried that the same problem could play out at home-run friendly U.S. Cellular Field.

"I don't think it's going to be a problem. Hopefully not," said Guillen of Hernandez, who has given up 114 career home runs over 876 1/3 innings. "El Duque is still working on his stuff. He's a veteran, and he knows what he has to do to get ready. He knows what he needs to do and what it takes to get where he wants to be."

Jose Contreras, whom Guillen singled out as a pitcher he did have some concern with in terms of spring preparation, impressed his manager during 2 2/3 innings against Arizona. He allowed five hits and two earned runs, but Guillen was encouraged with the way he used fastballs to get ahead in the count.

Basically, the process is more important than the actual results. As Guillen stated just days ago, this is Arizona, where 15-12 final scores are the rule, rather than the exception.

"I don't worry about anyone who gets hit here," Garcia said. "You try to make your pitches and get ready for the season.

"It's not a big deal if you get hit here. I never have good Spring Trainings. I try to work on my pitches and hit my spots. That's all."

Nothing to it: Tadahito Iguchi's first hit as a member of the White Sox was a ground ball pulled between third baseman Troy Glaus and shortstop Royce Clayton with one out in the first inning on Friday. His second hit came two at-bats later, when he pulled a double to left against Juan Acevedo.

The early success presents a basic hint as to Iguchi's talent. It also signals the second baseman from Japan is feeling more comfortable in his new environment.

"It's not an easy game, but I'm more at ease," said Iguchi through his translator. "Now, I can play naturally, like I can do in Japan."

Guillen plans to use Iguchi in the second spot of the order for the foreseeable future. Along with giving him a chance to find a comfort zone at his regular-season spot, Iguchi will have the opportunity to see more pitchers and pitches during Cactus League action.

"This kid knows what he's doing," Guillen said. "He has a good plan and sticks with his plan."

Give it a try: A familiar face will be venturing into unfamiliar territory on Sunday, when Willie Harris gets the start at shortstop in a 'B' game for the White Sox. The players in Major League camp will take on a team made up of Sox minor leaguers.

If Harris proves he can do the job at shortstop, then both Wilson Valdez and Pablo Ozuna could become expendable in the battle for the final spot on the 25-man roster. A spot could open for right-hander Jon Adkins as the staff's 12th pitcher or right-handed hitting Jamie Burke as the third catcher.

Great Scott: With two triples against Colorado, Scott Podsednik now has six hits in his first seven at-bats in Cactus League action. The fleet-footed outfielder is well on his way to the Spring Training batting crown.

"He better save it for the season," said Guillen with a laugh. "You really do have more confidence when Spring Training starts good for you, but there's still a long way to go for him."

Making the jump: Brandon McCarthy was pitching on the minor league side of Spring Training just one year ago, getting ready to start the 2004 season at Class A Kannapolis. On Saturday, the highly touted right-hander gets the start against Arizona and top Major Leaguers such as Shawn Green and Troy Glaus.

It's an exciting transition for McCarthy, who won 17 games and led the minors with 202 strikeouts over three stops last season.

"I thought about that yesterday," McCarthy said. "I was in low A-ball last year. But it's something I expected of myself. It's not a total shock, I guess."

McCarthy will get at least one more start, against Texas in Surprise, Ariz., on Thursday. Pitching well in these opportunities gives McCarthy the chance to make the lasting impression he has sought since the start of Spring Training. On the other hand, he doesn't want to sacrifice his starting routine, in the process.

"I'm going to make sure I'm comfortable, don't overextend myself and do what I'm capable of," McCarthy said. "That's my main goal. But it's exciting. It's finally time to get going."

Going, going, gone: Regular-season ticket sales went over the one-million mark for the White Sox Thursday, putting the team approximately 180,000 ahead of last year's pace. The organization benefited from putting the tickets on sale in mid-January, at SoxFest, as opposed to mid-March as they did during Spring Training last year.

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Wouldn't that be nice if Harris excels at short?

It would be freaking fantastic. I'm doubting he has the arm strength to be a starter for any extended period. At the same time David Eckstein never had the arm strenght to be a great SS, yet fielding% wise he was among the best in the businss and Chone Figgins sure as hell didn't have the arm to play 3rd base.

The Angels managed. I know one thing, Willie Harris, if given another starting spot is going to be a good ballplayer.

Going, going, gone: Regular-season ticket sales went over the one-million mark for the White Sox Thursday, putting the team approximately 180,000 ahead of last year's pace. The organization benefited from putting the tickets on sale in mid-January, at SoxFest, as opposed to mid-March as they did during Spring Training last year.

Great news here.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
It would be freaking fantastic.  I'm doubting he has the arm strength to be a starter for any extended period.  At the same time David Eckstein never had the arm strenght to be a great SS, yet fielding% wise he was among the best in the businss and Chone Figgins sure as hell didn't have the arm to play 3rd base.

The Angels managed.  I know one thing, Willie Harris, if given another starting spot is going to be a good ballplayer.

I'd love to see Willie be able to handle short but I also have my doubts. I'd love to see Willie and Burke make the team, that would give the sox one hell of a bench imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
I'd love to see Willie be able to handle short but I also have my doubts.  I'd love to see Willie and Burke make the team, that would give the sox one hell of a bench imo.

I have more faith in Harris at SS than I do with Burke at 3B. Hope Willie succeeds, it will up his trade value -- 2B, CF and SS!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
Great news here.

Very good actually. They stretched the payroll another 10% this year, after having a flat attendance level from 03 to 04. It is good to see there is some excitement for this team. That means ticket sales are already up almost 25% vs this time last year. Boyers idea of selling tickets early was genius.