US Troops shoot freed Journo

DBAHO

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
Personal choice.

There are several words that women find offensive, and should, IMHO, be avoided, especially when someone complains. Does it tell you something when one of the people who voiced up can joke about hot lesbian sex, but finds that word offensive? You may call it hypocritical, I accept it for what it is. An individuals preference to not read a particularly offensive word that is only used to insult females and describe a female dog.

Because there are so few things here that people complain about, it would seem easy enough to avoid the one or two.

But hey, it's your choice.

And I choose to not submit to the idiotic political correctness going on here. There are many things that people here can complain about, lesbian sex being among them. What if I were to complain about lesbian sex "offending" me? Hey, homosexuality is against my religion after all!

Oh, but wait, political correctness only works in favor of women and minorities. How silly of me to forget. :rolly

As long as personal attacks aren't involved (which they weren't), there shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BigHurt, you always have had to have the last word, haven't you?

:P

I'm just messing with you.

But, I've noticed that you always have to force your opinions. That's cool and all, but sometimes it's better to just walk away. Is that one of those times? I don't know, that's your call to make, depending on your "b****-o-meter" scale.

;)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
But, I've noticed that you always have to force your opinions.  That's cool and all, but sometimes it's better to just walk away.  Is that one of those times?  I don't know, that's your call to make, depending on your "b****-o-meter" scale.

Actually, it's because it's a slow day. ;)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Regardless of the turn this thread has taken, I sincerely hope my apology is accepted.

Yas.. while I was taken aback by a couple of your comments I know you would never intentionally offend anyone. I think you know me well enough to know that I take the printed word worth a grain of salt. It's interesting to see the justification for it though. Says a lot about the person.

No harm no foul with you.

We know you know better... :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Yas.. while I was taken aback by a couple of your comments I know you would never intentionally offend anyone. I think you know me well enough to know that I take the printed word worth a grain of salt. It's interesting to see the justification for it though. Says a lot about the person.

No harm no foul with you.

We know you know better...  :lol:

Well, apparently my remarks sent a message I wasn't intending to send. Thanks for letting me back the hell up here. :wub:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Just refer to Steff's new sig, and everything will be OK. :P

LMAO.. and a big thank you for putting it there. I don't know crap about putting those sigs or avitars on there. By the way.. GM.. what's wrong with my pink one again...??

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Queen Prawn, ChiSoxyGirl, and I believe Steff, all weighed in on this. It's more than 1 person, and almost universal among our regular female contributors. I didn't read one lady stand up for calling the journalist a b****.

So is it more mature and polite to dismiss their concerns or call them whiney? You decide. I would rather be a gentleman and find another way to describe a woman who I disagree with.

I am SOOO confused. At first I thought the ladies were offended because we were saying something about the journalist and not her boyfriend. Then I thought it was because maybe they didn't understand my take on the situation. Now you're tellign me it's just the word "b****" that is offensive?? I had no idea this was the case.

I mean I can go without saying that word...it's not really something I say that often anyway. I have read that word before here and never really saw the sensitivity I see now. I just saw 'b****' in the thread about the lady that duck taped the kids mouth and killed him. No outrage over there, probably because we all agree what she was. But if there is a topic where opinions differ, then the word becomes offensive?? I don't get it....too confusing for me....as little as I use it, it's not a problem for me to stop.

In all honesty, it bothered me because she spoke her mind (albeit a very anti-american mind) and was labelled a b****. You know, if I had just been almost killed by hostages and then was thrown into another near death experience I would come out swinging too. I think the problem is that when men in this story spoke their minds no one called them names--it bothered me because it was the woman who was called names--and very quickly.

And to be honest, I think killing a 19 month old child is a far worse crime than speaking out against the US. And, therefore, might merit stronger words.

I'm definitely not speaking for anyone else.. but for me it was kinda the context it was used that I found it a bit off - offensive not being the exact term.. since I really don't have a problem with the word perse.. Calling someone a b**** because you don't like their opinion... it's just a bit rude to me. Calling some a b**** because they mistreat children.. I have no problem with that.. because, IMO, she is a b****. Just like that woman that stole that mans sperm that was posted here a week or so ago.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
In all honesty, it bothered me because she spoke her mind (albeit a very anti-american mind) and was labelled a b****. You know, if I had just been almost killed by hostages and then was thrown into another near death experience I would come out swinging too. I think the problem is that when men in this story spoke their minds no one called them names--it bothered me because it was the woman who was called names--and very quickly.

And to be honest, I think killing a 19 month old child is a far worse crime than speaking out against the US. And, therefore, might merit stronger words.

Thanks for clarifying ChiSoxy.

I also agree killing a child is a far worse crime. I don't agree one situation allows use of a word while another doesn't.

Either way...thanks for letting me know your opinion...

I think there is some question about whether she was merely stating her opinion. And that's important precisely because she was involved. Suppose some man were accused of running down a small child with his car. His ex-wife saw the incident, knew it was unintentional, but she hated him enough to lie on the witness stand. Who wouldn't agree that she's a "b****"? Now suppose another woman who was not there says, 'Oh, he's such a jerk I just KNOW he killed the kid on purpose.' Misinformed, but not a b****. The journalist is acting as witness -- if she's misrepresenting the event on purpose (and even if you don't believe she is, I think we can agree that it's a plausible interpretation), that's more than 'speaking her mind.' She's not just saying 'The US sucks', which would be fair enough.

Three people ask nicely for someone to stop doing something, and instead of stopping, the person berates the people and dismisses their feelings.

I guess that works for some people. :headshake

I assume their parents taught them that at home . . .