4 "Mounties" slain

YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 07:02 AM)
Mounties' slayings outrage Canadiens

I hate to hear anything like this, but what's up with this?  I was under the impression that marijuana was legal in Canada.

Iirc, you can have small amounts (less than an ounce) without penalty. But they have tough laws on growing/dealing/having large amount.s

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Iirc, you can have small amounts (less than an ounce) without penalty. But they have tough laws on growing/dealing/having large amount.s

I'm not sure if that's right. I'm pretty sure that even having small amounts at this time is against the law. What you are talking about is what might be included in an attempted de-criminalization of pot which is on the table right now. Which would allow anyone to carry small amounts of pot.

Anyways on this issue, it was quite a shocking occurence and was and still is our top news story as something like this hasn't happened since 1885, and even the incidents in 1885 were more a struggle for equal rights than attacks on police. Nonetheless the fact that something like this has really never happened says a lot about Canada.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
I thought that with all the gun control laws up there that Canada was free from all this senseless violence?  :fight

That was my point when I said something like this has never happened to us before. Gun controls have helped us.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
That was my point when I said something like this has never happened to us before.  Gun controls have helped us.

Laws are only worth the paper they are written on. In the City of Chicago it is forbidden to own ANY gun, yet they have almost 1000 murders per year, mostly by guns.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Laws are only worth the paper they are written on.  In the City of Chicago it is forbidden to own ANY gun, yet they have almost 1000 murders per year, mostly by guns.

Well kind of like Michael Moore argues, no one really knows what's wrong with you guys when it comes to guns. I'm far from an expert on the subject so don't jump on me.

:bang

While I agree that outlawing all guns would reduce murders, I also think it is wrong to make the vast majority of honest, law abiding gun owners suffer because some people choose to use the tool in an unlawful manner. The reason I believe the murder rate would go down is a gun gives too many people instant courage. Drive by shooting are one example. It also causes crimes of passion to escalate past a good ass kicking.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)

Like I said I'm no expert but I still feel more comfortable knowing "qualified citizens" are not allowed to walk around on the street with guns. Guns have the power to kill instantly and it's something not every civilian should have a right to. Like we're allowed to have guns but not a joint? The whole issue pisses me clean off and I'm sick of people saying they have this right to bear arms.

I'm also not so confident on the way these numbers are provided at the link. There is no way Canada will ever be as violent with guns as the US. I hate this issue.