Rap Fans

shagar69

Which of the Following is the best?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the Following is the best?

• Outkast-Stankonia
    • Nas-Stillmatic
    • 50 Cent-Get Rich or Die Tryin
    • Eminem-The Eminem Show
    • Jay-Z-The Blueprint
    • Kanye West-College Dropout

I was arguing with a friend about which rap album is the best, overall. What do you guys think? Sorry I dont have any mid 90's rap like Pac and Biggie (I didnt get into rap until a few years ago, plus im only 19 to begin with) Feel free to post albums that i didnt list

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stillmatic

When these streets keep callin, heard it when I was sleep

That this Gay-Z and Cockafella Records wanted beef

Started cockin up my weapon, slowly loadin up this ammo

To explode it on a camel, and his soldiers, I can handle

This for dolo and it's manuscript, just sound stupid

When KRS already made an album called Blueprint

:lol: wow take that Jay Z

50-Cent is the only one of those I REALLY like. None of them is on par with All Eyes on Me by Tupac. Life After Death by Biggie is also excellent, as is Tupac's Greatest Hits. Some of my other favorites are The Chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre and DMX's first 3 CD's (don't bother with the last two he released). Those first 4 I mentioned are must owns for any rap fan.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
putting outkast here really doesn't seem right even though they are more rap their whole style is different and that is what makes them so great

yah, i was debating whether or not i should put Oukast here. I do consider them Hip Hop tho, so i just kept em on the list

I voted Jay-Z- Blueprint because that entire album was lyrical genius. He really thought about what he wanted to say. Stillmatic is not as good as Illmatic though, probably one of the best lyrical rap albums of all-time.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
I voted Jay-Z- Blueprint because that entire  album was lyrical genius. He really thought about what he wanted to say. Stillmatic is not as good as Illmatic though, probably one of the best lyrical rap albums of all-time.

agree illmatic > stillmatic. i'll also take the original chronic over 2001. enter the wu tang and tribe called quest's low end theory should also be mentioned, while we're on 90s stuff.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:36 AM)
I think Marshall Mathers LP was his best one

I like Dre 2001 too. There's a whole bunch of good old ones, but I just d/l the best ones from all of them

yea, i was torn between MM LP and the Em. Show. They are both awesome, esp. since MM LP has my favorite Eminem song (The Way I am), but I just think that overall Em. Show is slightly better even tho both kick ass

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I was arguing with a friend about which rap album is the best, overall.  What do you guys think? Sorry I dont have any mid 90's rap like Pac and Biggie (I didnt get into rap until a few years ago, plus im only 19 to begin with) Feel free to post albums that i didnt list

You've got a lot of catching up to do...

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy

Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.

Paid In Full - Eric B and Rakim

B.A.D. - LL Cool J

Unfinished Business - EPMD

AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - Ice Cube

The Chronic - Dr. Dre

The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest

Ready To Die - Biggie

Illmatic - Nas

ATLiens - OutKast

The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
You've got a lot of catching up to do...

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy

Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.

Paid In Full - Eric B and Rakim

B.A.D. - LL Cool J

Unfinished Business - EPMD

AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - Ice Cube

The Chronic - Dr. Dre

The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest

Ready To Die - Biggie

Illmatic - Nas

ATLiens - OutKast

The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem

Haha, is that supposed to be some kind of definitive list? :lol:

You have just as much catching up to do, buddy.

I see no RUN DMC, Krown Rulers, Bizzie Boys, JVC Force, T LA Rock, K-Solo, Hijack, Biz Markie, Big Daddy Kane, Master Ace, Craig G, Kool G Rap, MC Shan, Jaz, Gangstarr, Main Source, Special Ed, Organized Konfusion, O.C., Ultramagnetic MCs, De La Soul, Boogie Down Productions, Brand Nubian, KMD, Downtown Science, Funkytown Pros, Diamond D, Freestyle Fellowship, Aceyalone, Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics Crew, etc.

And really, that's not even the tip of the iceberg considering all of the classic 12" singles out there with essential remixes and b-sides.

Knowing about EPMD is a shocker, though. :o

Excuse me while I laugh my ass of at all of the hip hop talk on here. The lack of knowledge and respectable taste is frightening.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Excuse me while I laugh my ass of at all of the hip hop talk on here.  The lack of knowledge and respectable taste is frightening.

shagar states in his first post that he hasn't listened to hip hop for long, and i think it's clear that several of the other posters are a few years younger than us and more casual music fans than you. not sure you gotta be like that about it.

i do feel a lot of your list, though it reminds me that i need to brush up on a lot of older stuff.

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
shagar states in his first post that he hasn't listened to hip hop for long, and i think it's clear that several of the other posters are a few years younger than us and more casual music fans than you. not sure you gotta be like that about it.

i do feel a lot of your list, though it reminds me that i need to brush up on a lot of older stuff.

yea, not only havent i listened to rap long, but I was too young when Biggie and Pac to realize what theyre songs were about. But I do recognize some of the names that Hammerhead brought up. And I have been tryin to catch up on 90s s*** ive missed. I just download a bunch of Illmatic and have been listenin to a lot of old Jay Z

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Haha, is that supposed to be some kind of definitive list?   :lol:

You have just as much catching up to do, buddy.

I see no RUN DMC, Krown Rulers, Bizzie Boys, JVC Force, T LA Rock, K-Solo, Hijack, Biz Markie, Big Daddy Kane, Master Ace, Craig G, Kool G Rap, MC Shan, Jaz, Gangstarr, Main Source, Special Ed, Organized Konfusion, O.C., Ultramagnetic MCs, De La Soul, Boogie Down Productions, Brand Nubian, KMD, Downtown Science, Funkytown Pros, Diamond D, Freestyle Fellowship, Aceyalone, Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics Crew, etc.

And really, that's not even the tip of the iceberg considering all of the classic 12" singles out there with essential remixes and b-sides. 

Knowing about EPMD is a shocker, though.   :o

Excuse me while I laugh my ass of at all of the hip hop talk on here.  The lack of knowledge and respectable taste is frightening.

Sorry, but I don't consider the work of Big Daddy Kane, Master Ace, or KMD to be anything close to the "best rap album."

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I was arguing with a friend about which rap album is the best, overall.  What do you guys think? Sorry I dont have any mid 90's rap like Pac and Biggie (I didnt get into rap until a few years ago, plus im only 19 to begin with) Feel free to post albums that i didnt list

Read the first post again, smarty pants. :wacko:

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)

I hear you, but it's depressing. There's so much truly outstanding hip hop out there, and people just settle for the crap that falls into their laps. Anything worthwhile is not gonna find you...you have to go out and search for it. It's just a reminder of how everyone wants it their way, right away, the Burger King way.

Cubs fans, basically.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
Sorry, but I don't consider the work of Big Daddy Kane, Master Ace, or KMD to be anything close to the "best rap album."

Yeah, but that's because you ain't heard anything.

Everyone who knows anything about hip hop has these down as classics:

Big Daddy Kane- Long Live The Kane 1988 LP

Master Ace- Slaughterhouse 1993 LP

KMD- Mr. Hood 1991 LP

They definitely get consideration.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Yeah, but that's because you ain't heard anything. 

Bulls***. I've been listing to hip hop since the mid-'80s.

Everyone who knows anything about hip hop has these down as classics:

Big Daddy Kane- Long Live The Kane 1988 LP

Master Ace- Slaughterhouse 1993 LP

KMD- Mr. Hood 1991 LP

They definitely get consideration.

KMD?! LOL! That album sucked. I sold it a few weeks after purchasing it. Big Daddy Kane's album was decent, but not great. I've never heard all of Master Ace's album.

I could also ammend my previous list with the following...

The Cactus Album - 3rd Bass

Paul's Boutique - Beasties

King of Rock - Run-DMC

Midnight Mauraders - Tribe

And what kind of hip hop fan could sleep on these absolute classics?

De La Soul- Three Feet High And Rising 1989 LP

De La Soul- De La Soul Is Dead 1991 LP

De La Soul- Buhloone Mindstate 1993 LP

De La Soul- Stakes Is High 1996 LP

We're talking about the hip hop version of the Beatles, and they get no mention in your list, BigHurt35.

What happened?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
Bulls***.  I've been listing to hip hop since the mid-'80s.

KMD?!  LOL!  That album sucked.  I sold it a few weeks after purchasing it.  Big Daddy Kane's album was decent, but not great.  I've never heard all of Master Ace's album.

I could also ammend my previous list with the following...

The Cactus Album - 3rd Bass

Paul's Boutique - Beasties

King of Rock - Run-DMC

Midnight Mauraders - Tribe

Well, you know more than I thought you did, but you might wanna give that KMD album another try. Not even "The Humrush" did it for you, eh?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Well, you know more than I thought you did, but you might wanna give that KMD album another try.  Not even "The Humrush" did it for you, eh?

Well, thanks for finally giving me credit. :rolly

The KMD album was the one with "Peach Fuzz," correct? Didn't like it. I may give it another listen if I can find it for $3 used somewhere. The second 3rd Bass album, which came out right around the same time, was also a disappointment.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
Well, thanks for finally giving me credit. :rolly

The KMD album was the one with "Peach Fuzz," correct?  Didn't like it.  I may give it another listen if I can find it for $3 used somewhere.  The second 3rd Bass album, which came out right around the same time, was also a disappointment.

Right, Peach Fuzz. That song is weak. I got the 12" single for the instrumental, though. But all things considered, that album is great. The production, the lyrics, etc. Subroc is decent, but Zev Luv X is a classic (extended) Golden Age MC.