China's influence on the world positive?

KipWellsFan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4318551.stm

In 17 of the 22 nations polled, more people thought China had a positive influence than a negative influence.

China came out favourably when the results were compared with similar surveys looking at the global influence of Russia and the US.

An average of 38% of respondents saw the US as having a positive influence, with just 36% saying the same for Russia.

Indeed China, at 48%, is almost on a par with Great Britain, which scored 50%.

I'm pretty stunned by this. I don't know where I got it from and really have no basis for it but I always thought China was really backwards and dangerous. :huh

_40890225_china2_influences_gra416.gif

Amazing what $200 wide screen tv's and 7' tall centers will do for your image around the world. China is the greatest threat to America's manufacturers. Billion workers who can

A. make things very cheaply

B. not afford the stuff America makes to balance any trade.

C. in the words of a great American, and Eagle Scout, once said, "giant sucking sound"

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
Amazing what $200 wide screen tv's and 7' tall centers will do for your image around the world. China is the greatest threat to America's manufacturers. Billion workers who can

A. make things very cheaply

B. not afford the stuff America makes to balance any trade.

C. in the words of a great American, and Eagle Scout, once said, "giant sucking sound"

Perot was right.

How many nations do business with China? How many want to?

How many nations are being inundated with Chinese investment? How many want to be?

I think that has more to do with the 48% rating. If you speak highly of a gangster he is more likely to do you less harm.

Then why doesn't this poll reflect the United States in a positive light?

There's a big difference between the US & China in world perception.

In the global economy the world does not see the US. They see Microsoft, Haliburton, IBM, Gap, Disney, Nike, etc. The corporations are more visible then the nation.

The world sees the US mostly in terms of it's military. Chinese troops are not spread across the globe. US ones are.