Big Ten Tournament

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Alfords teams ALWAYS play their best ball in March.

That is true. The thing is, he's got to get this team to start playing well in the big 10. They typically come out of the gates hot and tend to beat a few top 15 type teams and then once big 10 season goes they find themselves in trouble needing a strong tourney performance.

Hell, Alford is a lot like Lavin in that sense cause Lavin used to always find himself in that situation with UCLA but would end up getting into the dance and oftne times going deep. Of course Alford hasn't got the Hawks deep into the dance, however, if they get in, I think they have a shot to make some noise.

However, if they play UNC they will get blown out of the water, they just don't match up well with them. First they got to get in, and my guess is they'll be an 8 seed. Meaning a potential 2nd round matchup against a 1.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a sidenote, I'm gonna support Aflord again hoping that he's learned a valuable lesson from the entire Pierre Pierce incident and the Iowa program can start taking some huge steps forward.

Because if he can't make some noise next year in the big 10 with this entire nucleus back, then he's got some serious issues. However, I think he comes through and I think Iowa is gonna finish top 3 in the big ten next year.

You heard it here first :)

Don't be so sure, UNC isn't the same team it was even a month ago. I don't know whats wrong, but somethings not right. They used to get 22+ assists a game, lately its been single digits every single game. Hopefully the extra time off will help them focus for the tourney, I'm not holding my breath though. I'm just not sure if these kids know how to win or not. I hope they prove me wrong.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Don't be so sure, UNC isn't the same team it was even a month ago. I don't know whats wrong, but somethings not right. They used to get 22+ assists a game, lately its been single digits every single game. Hopefully the extra time off will help them focus for the tourney, I'm not holding my breath though. I'm just not sure if these kids know how to win or not. I hope they prove me wrong.

To me it looks like some guys have got something else on their minds... namely the NBA.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)

I dunno, call me crazy but whenever I think of UNC I get visions of that asswhooping the Heels layed on the Hawkeyes earlier in the year back when Iowa was playing some of the best basketball in the country (which lasted until the start of big 10 play, LOL).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
On a sidenote, I think Aflord has really stepped up his level of coaching.  They came out and protected the ball in the 2nd half and really played good defense the entire tourney.

That was very poor defense on the last play.

Didn't force a short inbounds pass and didn't have a s***load of on the ball pressure with only 3 seconds remaining. Let him go coast to coast. That good of a look shouldn't happen.

Yeah, they were playing some great ball in the 1st part of the season, particularly on the defensive end. Now they just seem lost on both sides of the ball and rely on their 1 on 1 skills to get what points they do manage to get.

ss2k you could definitely be right. I just get the feeling that Felton doesn't trust the rest of the team because of the early deficits lately and he takes it into his hands, he gets his 20+ points, but the rest of the team is just lost. Today the seniors Jawad Williams, Jackie Manual, and Melvin Scott just didn't show up. I believe Marvin, Jawad, Jackie Manual, and Melvin Scott combined for something like 2-17 today.

I know a lot of people are posturing for Iowa here, and this thread has talked about it a lot...myself included but I don't think it's a total "screwjob" if they don't get in.

Iowa, like many other teams lost the game that would clinch them their bid. When you have the ability to control your own destiny and lose (I don't care if it was by 1 or 100 pts...all bubble teams have had losses like this) you can't really complain if you're on the outside looking in come tourney time.

Believe me, my team is notrious for doing the exact same thing. I'm not going to get into who's resume is better, who should be in, etc. My point is if you control your own fate and blow it, there shouldn't be any crying come sunday....of course if the MAC and A-10 get two bids, then you can scream bloody murder like me because that's bulls*** plain and simple. :P

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
That was very poor defense on the last play.

Didn't force a short inbounds pass and didn't have a s***load of on the ball pressure with only 3 seconds remaining. Let him go coast to coast. That good of a look shouldn't happen.

I agree with you on this. Haluska was on the guy's side. It was a circus shot, but he had a wide open look. Haluska should have gotten in front of him to at least make him alter the shot. I'm an Iowa alum and have been to 4 games this season. 2 of them the Hawks won. The nail biter with MSU Friday evening and the blowout win against Bobby Knight and Texas Tech. The other 2, this Wisconsin game, and a loss to Northwestern, were both lost on 3 point shots as time expired. The defensive strategy was curious both games. The NU game, the guy had a wide open look in the corner from a baseline inbounds play, after an Iowa timeout.

I don't know if anyone else here was at the games today or if they mentioned it on tv but there was a real special moment before the Illinois game. When Bruce Weber came out on the court from the locker room the entire stadium gave him a standing ovation, not just Illinois fans but everyone, and it went on for a decent amount of time. It was a great thing to be a part of.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)
I don't know if anyone else here was at the games today or if they mentioned it on tv but there was a real special moment before the Illinois game. When Bruce Weber came out on the court from the locker room the entire stadium gave him a standing ovation, not just Illinois fans but everyone, and it went on for a decent amount of time. It was a great thing to be a part of.

Saw that on the back page of the paper today. Weber looked all choked up which is understandable.