Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
I'm going to post this in here.  What do you guys think if having a generic baseball only forum. I know the sports bar is where pretty much everything generic goes, but do you think it would be better to have a board soley dedicated to all non-White Sox baseball talk? 

If so we'll set one up.  Tex suggested it and now we want to see what the members think.

VERY good idea, Jas! :)

I cast my vote for the baseball only forum. Two Lee articles of interest:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/101sd6.htm

Lee: ""They needed speed and defense. It's not like they wanted another power guy. They still got Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas. Jermaine Dye can hit the ball out of the ballpark. And they got Carl Everett, too. They got five or six guys who can hit 20 or more homers."

WSox staff: "It wasn't that Carlos was a bad guy or didn't work hard. He was just different than the others. If we had a meeting at 12 o'clock, Carlos showed up at 12 o'clock. That's how he went about his business."

DYK? Over the last 5 yrs, Lee has avg'd 27 HRs & 94 RBI. He played error-free in 04. Lee hit .345 w 8HR & 23RBI in ST, & leads Milw w 3 DB's & 5 RBI's this week.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Lee: "That's pretty funny. That's awesome when you go out there and they boo; that means you did something to them."

DYK? Over the last 6 yrs, Lee hit 327 vs Cubs w 9HR. He owns a 351A w 6HR & , 19RBI's lifetime at Wrigley.

On Sat Lee was 0-3 vs Zamby, but hard two hard hits that needed good defensive plays to get him out.

Yost: "He really has filled a huge hole for us. He's one of the best hitters I've ever seen. He never panics in the box and he stays with his plan."

On the trade: This past SoxFest Oz made it apparent that Lee's failure to go hard into 2B after Hunter ran over Burke had a lasting & negative impression on him.

Even after those comments were made, Lee has been nothing less than gracious to the WSox for giving him a chance to play in the big leagues.

Compare that with Maggs.

It's funny. Maggs could make the Tigs, Lee could make the Brews. Over 24 games vs the Twins betw them. Not only did we weaken our division rival the Twinkees but also our hated inner-city rival the Cubs. All we need to do is take care of the Tigs & both these ex-WSox players will help secure us a division crown.

Having seen Pods go from a FC to a R w/out a hit I'm coming around on the belief the trade was good for both teams. The ALC is tailor made for Pods. It's cash-strapped & usually features unproven, wild, & nervous arms on the mound. He's what I would call a stress-mounter. When he gets on the sweat begins to pour & the odds of a mistake jump dramatically.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Has anyone else notice Mike Hampton's first two starts of the season. He has been dominant. Hampton isn't a strikeout pitcher so it is even more impressive. I'd give him a look in your fantasy league if you are looking for a sleeper stud pitcher.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
Has anyone else notice Mike Hampton's first two starts of the season.  He has been dominant.  Hampton isn't a strikeout pitcher so it is even more impressive.  I'd give him a look in your fantasy league if you are looking for a sleeper stud pitcher.

I had him in a couple leagues last year after the break(9-1, 3.31ERA). I just went to drop Madritsch and add Hampton or Gavin Floyd only to find that both have been picked up. Hampton is a solid pick up -- Another demonstration of Mazzone's genius

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
I had him in a couple leagues last year after the break(9-1, 3.31ERA).  I just went to drop Madritsch and add Hampton or Gavin Floyd only to find that both have been picked up.  Hampton is a solid pick up -- Another demonstration of Mazzone's genius

Brett Myers man. 15 K's in two starts, ERA of .73. The guy has a good amount of talent.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Brett Myers man. 15 K's in two starts, ERA of .73. The guy has a good amount of talent.

If only he pitched like that for Philly last season. Now they've probably got to send Gavin Floyd back down to AAA when Padilla comes back from injury, and Floyd's done nothing wrong at all, kind of like the B-Mac situation.

From the sports betting site I frequent:

Nats' Bats Silenced by Hudson?

Seven games into the 2005 season, and it's business as usual in Atlanta - top of the National League East, thank you very much. Tonight Tim Hudson is on the mound for his second start since his transfer from Oakland - his first was an impressive 4-2 win over the Marlins in Miami. Hudson is facing Washington's Esteban Loaiza, a ten year veteran who signed with the Nationals as a free agent on a one-year contract. Is it another notch on Hudson's belt or can Loaiza find the form that won him a Cy Young award in 2003 with the White Sox?

The Marlins got another complete game, and have now outscored their opponents 40-15. Now accoding to the horses*** Bill James Pythagorean Theorem, they should be 7-1, but they are 4-4.

Also, Milton Bradley had a sac fly BUT he still reached first base. The ball was dropped by Michael Tucker.

Edited by santo=dorf

Twins recalled LHP Dave Gassner from Triple-A Rochester.

Gassner's stay may be considerably shorter than anticipated if the news on Carlos Silva's knee continues to look good. He'll make his first start Saturday. Apr. 13 - 2:07 am et

Esteban Loaiza allowed three runs in seven innings tonight against the Braves.

Loaiza has a 4.61 ERA in two no-decisions so far, but his WHIP stands at 1.10 and he hasn't given up a home run. He's throwing better than he did last year, so he's going to have a fair amount of value. Apr. 12 - 11:19 pm et

"The Cardinals and pitcher Chris Carpenter are close to agreement on a three-year contract that would give the team control over four-fifths of its starting rotation through at least next season, sources said Tuesday."

"Indians sign Hafner to three-year deal

Contract includes club option for 2008"

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...t=.jsp&c_id=cle

CLEVELAND -- The Indians added a second core piece to their foundation Wednesday when they announced the signing of designated hitter Travis Hafner to a three-year contract.

Hafner's agreement binds him to the Indians through 2007, although the deal also includes a club option for 2008.

"The signing of Travis Hafner is yet another example of ownership's commitment to the long-term stability of the Cleveland Indians organization," general manager Mark Shapiro said. "Not only is Travis Hafner a productive, middle-of-the-order hitter, but his toughness, team attitude and work ethic are also examples of the attributes we seek to find and reward in our core players."

Edited by Jabroni

As far as the Hafner contract, he'll get 500K this year, $2.5 million in 2006, and $3.75 million in '07. There's a 250K buyout, and a $4.75 option for '08.

Talk about a good contract. He probably won't be as good as last year, but he'll still be damn solid. That makes two lefty-1B/DH types who are gonna be real good in the AL Central in Morneau and Hafner...