Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
Zach Duke moved to 4-0 today with 8.1 IP of 1 R ball. That outing raised  his ERA. In 6 starts he has a 0.92 ERA with a 4-0 record....and he's only 22. :o  :notworthy

I picked him up on my soxtalk fantasy squad after his July 7 Philadelphia start. All that he's done since then:

3 Wins

25 IP

1 ER

I needed another killer SP to go along with Pedro Martinez and Chris Carpenter. I hope that he keeps this up.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
I picked him up on my soxtalk fantasy squad after his July 7 Philadelphia start.  All that he's done since then:

3 Wins

25 IP

1 ER

I needed another killer SP to go along with Pedro Martinez and Chris Carpenter.  I hope that he keeps this up.

Same here in SoxTalk League 1. The Pirates really have the making of a good stud young rotation next season if things play out. They really need another power hitter besides Jason Bay though, big time.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Same here in SoxTalk League 1. The Pirates really have the making of a good stud young rotation next season if things play out. They really need another power hitter besides Jason Bay though, big time.

And if we were in the same league, I'm sure that you'd have beat me to him. :D

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
Is there a site that lists all teams' current closers without having to look up each team individually?

ESPN's Fantasy Baseball page usually has an article called the Closer Report that will list and rank all the closers (and some elite setup men and the probable replacement).

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
ESPN's Fantasy Baseball page usually has an article called the Closer Report that will list and rank all the closers (and some elite setup men and the probable replacement).

Thanks.

Edit: s***, I hate insider. :P

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

Felix Hernandez is currently pitching in Detroit. The game is not being televised on MLB Extra Innings for Comcast Digital Cable and on MLB.tv they're showing the Tiger's broadcast with a s***ty view. The Tiger's broadcast is f***ed up so they're giving you that high above the backstop spring training type view. So they're trying to keep me from seeing King Felix pitch, bastards.

Hernandez is having early control problems.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Felix Hernandez is currently pitching in Detroit. The game is not being televised on MLB Extra Innings for Comcast Digital Cable and on MLB.tv they're showing the Tiger's broadcast with a s***ty view. The Tiger's broadcast is f***ed up so they're giving you that high above the backstop spring training type view. So they're trying to keep me from seeing King Felix pitch, bastards.

Hernandez is having early control problems.

2 walks, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 strikeout in his 1st inning. ERA currently sitting at 9.

John Patterson pitched a CG 4 hit shoutout against the Dodgers last night with 13 strikeouts and zero walks. His WHIP ratio now stands at 1.08 on the season, which is good enough for Top 10 in the majors. This guy has been insane.

I was lucky in July, as I added both Patterson and Zach Duke to my soxtalk fantasy squad while letting go of CC Sabathia and Brandon Webb. :puke

What happened to CC? He absolutely, positively sucks these days.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
did anyone else see jose valentin playing left field tonight, and make an awesome catch

Yeah that was a pretty good catch by him...slamming into the wall while running.

Although...something still strikes me as odd about the whole thing...taking a guy who was our shortstop, starting the season with him at 3rd base, and moving him to LF when he comes back off the DL...yeah.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp...t=.jsp&c_id=ari

Tony Clark gets extension

D-Backs ink first baseman to two more seasons

Conor Jackson anyone?

He's a better prospect than Brian Anderson is, and he could probably be had for a straight up trade.

Age   Lvl    AB   .AVG/.OBP/.SLG   BB   K

2003 (Draft year) 21 A 257 .319/.410/.533 36 41

2004 22 A+ 258 .345/.438/.562 45 36

22 AA 226 .301/.367/.456 24 36

2005 23 AAA 333 .354/.457/.553 69 32

23 Maj 10 .300/.364/.400 1 0

Just for comparison's sake, here are Anderson's numbers

Age   Lvl    AB   .AVG/.OBP/.SLG   BB   K

2003 (Draft year) 21 Rk 49 .388/.492/.592 9 10

2004 22 A+ 254 .319/.394/.531 29 44

22 AA 185 .270/.346/.416 19 30

2005 23 AAA 395 .291/.359/.473 42 104

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Don't look now but Derek Lee currently leads in 0 triple crown catagories.

That's because Miguel Cabrera is 100X better hitter than he is and this year Andruw Jones is displaying more power than anyone had expected (got him late in my fantasy draft,he's paying dividends), not to mention the fact that Pujols is a better run producer than DLee and CLee is having an unbelievable power year in Milwaukee. DLee is a very good player but there was no way in hell he was going to win the Triple Crown.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
What happened to CC?  He absolutely, positively sucks these days.

C.C. Sabathia gets my vote for most overrated pitcher not named Kerry Wood, and I'm starting to think it's close (the gap between Wood's reputation and performance is probably higher, but he's also pitched like an ace for more than a month or two at a time). I know he can shut people down at times, but he looks absolutely lost a lot too. He's just like Wood: a thrower and not a pitcher, and without the strikeouts. He's only had one year with a good K-rate (his rookie year), one with wins (also his rookie year), and only one where I would say he had a solid ERA.