Moving to Chicago

olp_nch

hey,

i dont know if you all can help me, but im a life long sox fan from minnesota. I am currently looking to move to chicago soon and have no clue about where to live. i dont know what areas are nice or not so nice. im looking for a 2 BR in a decent area but not spend a huge amount.

anything would be helpful

thanks

QUOTE(olp_nch @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
hey,

i dont know if you all can help me, but im a life long sox fan from minnesota.  I am currently looking to move to chicago soon and have no clue about where to live.  i dont know what areas are nice or not so nice.  im looking for a 2 BR in a decent area but not spend a huge amount.

thanks

when are you looking to move?

If you are looking for cheap and space, you are either going to be in a bad area of the city, or in the burbs. Chicago is an expensive place to live. Many of the south suburbs are a good mix of cheap and middle class, plus there are tons of public transit to the city (trains mostly).

QUOTE(olp_nch @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
hey,

i dont know if you all can help me, but im a life long sox fan from minnesota.  I am currently looking to move to chicago soon and have no clue about where to live.  i dont know what areas are nice or not so nice.  im looking for a 2 BR in a decent area but not spend a huge amount.

thanks

2 BR for not a lot of money? Ha! Sorry, but you're in for a big surprise. Go to Indiana. You can buy a house with a 2 car garage and an acre of land for what you would rent a 2 BR apartment for in the city. And you won't have to park 4 blocks away. You can leave your keys in your car at night, unlocked. You don't have to put up with gunshots, constant sirens, etc. Live the good life, 40 miles southeast!

:bringit City dwellers! :P

Edited by mreye

I would have to recommend Stickney(duh)...it was rated by Chicago Magazine as the best town in its price range. Its a community with a lot of older people, so its relatively quite. Its right next to I55, which will take you right to Comiskey in 10 minutes...you could probably find a place relatively cheap. Also, Its not too far from Midway airport, in case you travel for work.

I assume there will be a lot of Southside love on a White Sox board. If you enjoy the outdoors, lakes, boating, snow mobiling, etc. I would look up north. I lived for a while in Wildwood, on Gages Lake. The Fox Lake Chain-O-Lakes was 30 minutes away, Lake Michigan was 20 minutes away.

QUOTE(olp_nch @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
hey,

thanks

Your might be asking for too much for too little. Tell us more.

What is your maximum rent budget?

Will you have a roomate to split the rent?

Do you need to be close to the train?.....or do you drive?

Serious question: How 'street smart' are you?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
Your might be asking for too much for too little.  Tell us more.

What is your maximum rent budget?

Will you have a roomate to split the rent?

Do you need to be close to the train?.....or do you drive?

Serious question:  How 'street smart' are you?

I can only suggest Bridgeport to you. Because a lot of people are looking to buy houses (house are going for $300,000 or so) apartments are a dime a dozen and pretty cheap considering you are 10 minutes from downtown, are in a safe neighborhood (despite the media's bulls*** that says otherwise) and, since you are a Sox fan, right by U.S. Cellular.