White Sox @ Tigers Game Thread

SoxFan1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the commentary cw. Rooney and Farmer didn't come in good on my radio until the 9th.

you are most welcome - glad someone read it! :D

I don't mind posting to myself, it beats calling play by play to my dogs! :D

I love to hear other teams announcers talk about Sox because you learn things and see what others see that we might miss

why go for complete game?  It is a long season and why wear pitchers out?  That is what relievers are for - and they need work too

BECAUSE Loaiza earned it. I mean he had 100 pitches before that. Give him a chance to finish what he started. a CGSO would be great for him and the team. :nono :nono JM let him finish it off

why go for complete game?  It is a long season and why wear pitchers out?  That is what relievers are for - and they need work too

BECAUSE Loaiza earned it. I mean he had 100 pitches before that. Give him a chance to finish what he started. a CGSO would be great for him and the team. :nono :nono JM let him finish it off

I disagree, respectfully.

Most important stat is win and if we never have a complete game all year but do get a string of shut outs I will be most happy -

the bottom line is what counts, and that is keeping arms alive for fall games and getting victories for team, not padding stats for individuals, now

I'll bet Loaiza is not complaining -

and relievers need to stay sharp in non pressure situations so they are ready when it really counrs

How are the Tigers announcers without Harwell?

Harwell was doing radio these past years -

his style was unique and laid back and is something I miss on the bye and bye - he was the perfect late night radio voice although because he was so even keel you sometimes missed plays because he never got excited to alert you to soemthing happening - but what a legend he was the unique style he had.

Frank Lane has been doing Tigers baseball for as long as I have lived in Michigan (75) and is very solid without flash or negatives

what was missed was the wacky off the wall comments of Kirk Gibson - he livened up dull games (and also ran his mouth at times in an annoying way but always commanded attention). Jack Morris is no Kirk Gibson. Had some interesting comments, mostly how Loaiza was very steady at what he does, hardly walks anyone (never more than what, 57 in a season ever) and the Tigers just could not capitalize

Guest hotsoxchick1

rooney is good.. farmer drives me nuts with all his golf talk and off subject bull s***.... sometimes i wish he would just shut up...........i liked when rooney and dj did the oaktown gig last year in cali........they did a wonderful job......and work well together..........

I absolutely agree with you. I think they are an excellent duo, and they work together well. They mix knowledge and banter very well IMO. After doing some sportscasting in college and I know from first hand experience that it can be harder than hell to fill the dead air, and make a bad game interesting. I really believe these are the two hardest things to do in radio, and they do a great job of both. I think we are lucky to have them, and to have kept them together for as long as we have. :headbang

I absolutely agree with you.  I think they are an excellent duo, and they work together well.  They mix knowledge and banter very well IMO.  After doing some sportscasting in college and I know from first hand experience that it can be harder than hell to fill the dead air, and make a bad game interesting.  I really believe these are the two hardest things to do in radio, and they do a great job of both.  I think we are lucky to have them, and to have kept them together for as long as we have. :headbang

and back 100% agree with you - except I was dj, not sports announcer, in college but still know something about filling air time and I am so glad we have Ed and John year in and year out - I also love Hawk and DJ - and loved Hawk and Paciorek -

it is good to hear Tom do the occasional Tigers broadcast but he kind of raps on the Sox now and again and I don't like to hear that

I absolutely agree with you.  I think they are an excellent duo, and they work together well.  They mix knowledge and banter very well IMO.  After doing some sportscasting in college and I know from first hand experience that it can be harder than hell to fill the dead air, and make a bad game interesting.  I really believe these are the two hardest things to do in radio, and they do a great job of both.  I think we are lucky to have them, and to have kept them together for as long as we have. :headbang

and back 100% agree with you - except I was dj, not sports announcer, in college but still know something about filling air time and I am so glad we have Ed and John year in and year out - I also love Hawk and DJ - and loved Hawk and Paciorek -

it is good to hear Tom do the occasional Tigers broadcast but he kind of raps on the Sox now and again and I don't like to hear that

I liked Hawk and Wimpy a lot more than Hawk and DJ. DJ just has never had much chemistry with Hawk, and despite what they say, I don't know if they still really like each other much.

I felt bad the way they pushed Wimpy out of the booth. He really got the shaft job, and I don't blame him for being upset.

My only knock on the TV guys is they aren't nearly as objective as the radio guys. I know Farmio will call em like he sees em. He is not afraid to take someone to task for a dumb move whether it is one of our guys or not, and I like that a lot. Hawk will just kinda blow over a play like that.

But overall our TV crew is a B I think. There are a WHOLE lot worse guys than the ones we have, but there are also some much better ones.

Paciorek wasn't pushed - he left to deal with personal issues and be closer to his family (all from Redford Township, suburban west border of Detroit).

DJ has grown much each year. First year no chemistry but I think they click now. I even enjoy DJ now on network games without Hawk.

Paciorek wasn't pushed - he left to deal with personal issues and be closer to his family (all from Redford Township, suburban west border of Detroit).

DJ has grown much each year.  First year no chemistry but I think they click now.  I even enjoy DJ now on network games without Hawk.

The whole getting pushed out thing was a strong rumor here after it all happened...

As for DJ he is soooo much better than when he started. He was completely awful his first year. And I enjoy him much more without Hawk. I don't know why, I just don't think they work well together.

DJ has grown much each year.  First year no chemistry but I think they click now.  I even enjoy DJ now on network games without Hawk.

Wasn't there an article in the Trib about how Paciorek was sexually abused by a priest in his childhood? I remember reading it. It was a moving piece. Might have been Det News or Free Press though

Wasn't there an article in the Trib about how Paciorek was sexually abused by a priest in his childhood? I remember reading it. It was a moving piece. Might have been Det News or Free Press though

yes and same priest (at St Mary's in Redford) also did his next two brothers but not the youngest (Jim, the one who played qb at Michigan). So his own burden plus feeling guilt about not protecting his brothers - although in that era how could he have, as a kid, made a charge about a priest? So he had his own things to deal with and his guilt and it was affecting him in the classic clinical ways so he needed to go back and deal with it all to free himself up for the rest of his life - which he has, and he sounds happy now.

Redford was next to wear I lived in Detroit when I was an assistant (Lutheran) pastor in Dearborn and the Paciorek family is very well known and loved there. So I followed Tom's Sox career with extra interest, as well as his broadcast career. Never met him, but feel a special connectionwith him and glad he has exorcised his pain from the past - at least as much is as possible.

He does work with other now adult victims of sexual abuse as children at the hands of priests.

I did read an article about that. It was when he was a kid in Milwaukee if I remember right. It was heartbreaking.

rooney is good.. farmer drives me nuts with all his golf talk and off subject bull s***.... sometimes i wish  he would just shut up...........i liked when rooney and dj did the oaktown gig last year in cali........they did a wonderful job......and work well together..........

I agree. DJ was much more relaxed and effective with Rooney. They'd make a great team.