Brian Anderson to start in AAA

GoodAsGould

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
This seemed pretty obvious. While it may or may not be true, it's no surprise. Dealing Escobar made it all too clear.

Speaking of: Owens has been impressive thus far, IMO. Still pretty raw, but will he open in CF at AA with Chris Young in W-S?

QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Good question.  I got no idea where Bikowski fits into our organization's equation.  With Blakely returning, you think he would be the fourth outfielder for the Barons.  AAA would seem like a stretch for Scott.

From what I have been hearing from Barons GM Jonathon Nelson who just returned from Tucson is Owens will start in Winston-Salem and Blakely will be 3rd OF with Bikowski beging the 4th OF with the DH in the SL he will have plenty of playing time. Again that is what i am hearing doens't mean a thing until April 3rd when rosters are finalized

Tom

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
according to a few posters on WSI they said they talked to anderson and he confirmed that he would begin the season in triple A.

Anderson may very well start in AAA, but there is no way he knows that right now. That may be where he thinks he is going and where he is being told he will likely end up, but it isn't that simple.

The guys that make the decisions generally do not tell the players this early because too many things can change. Someone could get hurt, performances can be less than expected, etc.

Basically, minor league rosters change daily in ST. What looks to be the AA roster this week, could have 3 or 4 changes a week from now. And 3 or 4 more a week later, then a couple more the day before they get on the plane out of Tucson. Changes do happen this often.

Ya, those posters at WSI are mistaken. No player knows where they will be at this point. They may have a feeling or have been given indications but in a lot of guys, how they do in big league camp or elsewhere will have a great effect on where they start.

For example Bmac probably had a good shot of coming back to Bham prior to ST but thus far he's making a very good impression and will now likely start in Charlotte, although its still too early to say at this point.

My guess is Anderson will play in Charlotte but I think the Sox are making a mistake and should give him some more time in Bham. Just my opinion, especially since they have OF depth are in no real rush.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
Ya, those posters at WSI are mistaken.  No player knows where they will be at this point.  They may have a feeling or have been given indications but in a lot of guys, how they do in big league camp or elsewhere will have a great effect on where they start.

For example Bmac probably had a good shot of coming back to Bham prior to ST but thus far he's making a very good impression and will now likely start in Charlotte, although its still too early to say at this point. 

My guess is Anderson will play in Charlotte but I think the Sox are making a mistake and should give him some more time in Bham.  Just my opinion, especially since they have OF depth are in no real rush.

I'd go as far as to suggest that players often think they know where they are going, and are sometimes right and other times quite surprised.

I hope BMAC will start in Birmingham because first of all he only had 26 innings AA Innings last year and at times it seemed like he hit a wall and gave up some rockets. I believe it was only because of his adjustment to AA ball. But going from Hoover Met to Charlotte which plays like a sand box might be a little much right now. I don't think 25-30 innings at Bham would hurt him

Tom

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
Ya, those posters at WSI are mistaken.  No player knows where they will be at this point.  They may have a feeling or have been given indications but in a lot of guys, how they do in big league camp or elsewhere will have a great effect on where they start.

How is said WSI poster mistaken if he got it directly from Brian's mouth? Brian could be mistaken, sure. However, being borderline ready for MLB now, I doubt he is wrong.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
How is said WSI poster mistaken if he got it directly from Brian's mouth?  Brian could be mistaken, sure.  However, being borderline ready for MLB now, I doubt he is wrong.

Well I should of said it a little better. I think Anderson may be mistaken. Now odds are he goes to Charlotte, although if I were in charge he'd be getting more AB's in AA because he still has some flaws to work on and didn't do as good as I'd like to see him do in Bham to warrant a promotion. Although part of that definately had to do with some injuries that hampered him late last year.

But players don't know at this point, they can soley speculate. In his case maybe he was told but I think thats simply where he feels he will be and your right he'll probably be there, but I wouldn't be one to complain if he got two months in Bham.

He's not going to play in the majors this year unless something really bad happens on the southside (well he may be a sept call-up, but thats it, imo).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
I do have to say Brandon impresses me more and more the more I hear about him.

I hope Politte doesn't faulter tho if he does, I hope Brandon comes up. He's a great insurance policy if El Duque goes down. I think thats one of the only reasons Kenny Williams signed Hernandez is that he has McCarthy to fill in for him.

Adkins should begin on the club, I have not liked what I have seen from Cotts thus far.

I hope BMAC will start in Birmingham because first of all he only had 26 innings AA Innings last year and at times it seemed like he hit a wall and gave up some rockets. I believe it was only because of his adjustment to AA ball. But going from Hoover Met to Charlotte which plays like a sand box might be a little much right now. I don't think 25-30 innings at Bham would hurt him

Tom

I'd much prefer McCarthy start in Birmingham, too. I think the difference between AA and AAA is not that great, and a little confidence at the AA level will help BMac, IMHO. I'd like to see him get 10-15 starts at B'ham before moving him up. Getting whacked around in Charlotte's bandbox would not be a good thing early on. (But hey, BMac pitched great at W-S, even though that's a major hitter's park).

It's not like the Sox have never promoted someone directly from AA before. If someone goes down to injury, it's not like you can't get a flight from B'ham to Chicago instead of Charlotte to Chicago. You just fly Southwest instead of US Air.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
I hope Politte doesn't faulter tho if he does, I hope Brandon comes up. He's a great insurance policy if El Duque goes down. I think thats one of the only reasons Kenny Williams signed Hernandez is that he has McCarthy to fill in for him.

Adkins should begin on the club, I have not liked what I have seen from Cotts thus far.

How does Politte fit in?