Colorado University

mreye

www.denverpost.com

More at link

Mitchell taught at the Hallett Diversity Program for 24 straight semesters. That is, until he made the colossal error of actually presenting a (gasp!) diverse opinion, quoting respected conservative black intellectual Thomas Sowell in a discussion about affirmative action.

Sitting 5 feet from a pink triangle that read "Hate-Free Zone," the progressive head of the department berated Mitchell, calling him a racist.

"That would have come as a surprise to my black children," explains Mitchell, who has nine kids, as of last count, two of them adopted African-Americans.

Then, Mitchell had the audacity to use a book on liberal Protestantism in the late 19th century. So repulsed by the word "god" was one student, she complained, and the department chair fired him without a meeting, he said.

Was there a protest for academic freedom? Bullhorns? Power to the people?

Conceivably, if Mitchell would have used a less-offensive book - say the Churchill classic "Perversions of Justice" (Ward's hobby?) - he could have rallied the Kool-Aid brigade lickety split.

In time, Mitchell was reinstated but was never able to teach in the history department again.

"People say liberals run the university. I wish they did," Mitchell says. "Most liberals understand the need for intellectual diversity. It's the radical left that kills you."

This guy was on O'Reilly last night. I almost hope that he's lying because, if what he's saying is true, CU is a complete disgrace to academia. I would never accept a job there, nor would I allow my children to enroll there.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Apparently, U of C's extreme leftism is coming to the surface.  I hope the moderate alumni withhold financial contributions.  The power of the almighty buck speaks loudly.

But not left enough to fire Gary Barnett apparently...

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
But not left enough to fire Gary Barnett apparently...

I can't understand that. If he had made a winner of Colorado, I could understand even if I didn't agree with them. But, damn, he's been exceedingly mediocre at best.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
Throw the problems with the Air Force Academy in there, and you almost wonder if the thin air is taking too much oxygen out of peoples brains up there...

I went there a few years ago during Thanksgiving to ski... there are some serious weird-o's in that state.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
Throw the problems with the Air Force Academy in there, and you almost wonder if the thin air is taking too much oxygen out of peoples brains up there...

It definitely got to Denny Neagle. He paid for the most expensive road head ever to be performed. ;)