Boy Tied To Stroller With Mouth Duct-Taped Dies

Steff

http://www.wnbc.com/news/4262447/detail.html

UPDATED: 10:41 am EST March 8, 2005

NEW YORK -- A Brooklyn toddler was allegedly smothered by his babysitter, who is accused of putting duct tape over the boy's mouth.

FeedRoom

Video: Toddler Smothered By Duct-Tape

Police said 19-month old Jaylen Robinson was with the babysitter, 40-year-old Tammie Williams, on Sunday. Police said the boy had an ear infection and wouldn't stop crying, which prompted the babysitter to tie him into his stroller and duct tape his mouth shut.

The boy was congested and couldn't breath through his nose.

When the toddler began gagging the babysitter called 911. Police arrived at the apartment in East New York, Brooklyn, and found the boy unconscious. He was pronounced dead at the Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center.

Police have charged Williams with second-degree murder.

:angry:

OMG those parents must be devastated. :pray For some reason, I have a lot of patience with crying kids, especially at that age. It is always a legit reason to be crying at that age, food, diaper, illness, environmental factors, never a selfish reason likeWhite Sox not offering you a contract

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
shoot the b****. no trial or anything, just take her out back and shoot her...

Oh no, no... :nono

Cover HER mouth with duct tape and let her feel that childs pain first hand.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Oh no, no... :nono

Cover HER mouth with duct tape and let her feel that childs pain first hand.

That's not effective if she can breathe through her nose....

...so break her nose first.

Stupid heartless b****. A slow painful death awaits her.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I'm trying to figure this one out. A 40 yr old babysitter? What happened to "if there are any problems call us?" Isn't that standard operating procedure for babysitters? I know I use that line a lot. I would think a baby not being able to stop crying after you change it's diaper & feed it suffices as a problem.

Why for heaven's sake is this women thinking it's ok to put duct tape over a 19 month old baby? It's not ok to do that to an adult but the chemicals in the tape alone pose an even greater threat to the child. Again it's standard operating procedure to allow the child to cry itself to sleep. If you can't stand it then you put the child in a crib in their room & turn the baby monitor low. You can barely hear the child cry then & if the crying stops you get off your arse & check on the kid.

We take so much for granted. Maybe we should have licensing for baby sitters like we do driving. You can't assume any more that people are brought up with strong common sense.

The possible scenarios for having a 40 year old babysitter

1. Family friend or relative

2. Unlicensed day care

3. The babysitter wasn't "all there"

None of which excuses the woman's conduct.

American justice

Involuntary Manslaughter 12-15 years, out in 6.

you know it's sad when you hear stories like this more and more often. My wife and i have a 3 year old and we've used the same sitter for her as we did for my oldest. In 8 years there has never been a problem of any kind but now we are getting ready to move in the summer and i dread having to find another sitter. I'm sure if/when people come out for this sitter you are going to hear things like "She was always good with my kids" or "We never would have thought she would do this" which may be true. Maybe for whatever reason this lady just snapped.

The only part of my move i'm dreading is trying to find another sitter HALF as good as the one i have now, cause you never know what people are capable of.

juddling

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
oh no.  In this case, she's a B-I-T-C-H.  No doubt about it.

Not to mention a few other choice slanderous, messed up words.

Oh... you just had to go and capitalize the entire word now didn't you... :rolly

you know it's sad when you hear stories like this more and more often.  My wife and i have a 3 year old and we've used the same sitter for her as we did for my oldest.  In 8 years there has never been a problem of any kind but now we are getting ready to move in the summer and i dread having to find another sitter.  I'm sure if/when people come out for this sitter you are going to hear things like "She was always good with my kids" or "We never would have thought she would do this"  which may be true.  Maybe for whatever reason this lady just snapped. 

The only part of my move i'm dreading is trying to find another sitter HALF as good as the one i have now, cause you never know what people are capable of.

juddling

DON'T RISK IT! I've long since been anal when it comes to babysitters. It didn't take this story to convince me. What that means is that I have a checklist (I even call it a standard operating procedure) for our babysitters. It's right there on the fridge. It basically covers every case I could think of & what to do. Most of the what to do's indicate call this cell phone number. I leave NOTHING to chance to my sitters. I even tell them that failure to follow the SOP will result in loss of pay. Of course I don't tell them that until they show up. They are far less likely to refuse a job then.

Don't feel sorry for my sitters now. Ok, so I make them sit down & I read every line of the SOP to them & they probably think I'm treating them like a baby. But when something does happen & they do follow my SOP I always give them a few bucks more. I really appreciate the times that happens & I think they appreciate the extra bucks.

Of course my mind is so twisted by the dark side these days that as I wrote this I began to wonder if any of them purposefully created a situation to get some extra bucks. :banghead

This reminds me of the www.jessicamarielunsford.com case. Just once I'd like to take the family down to the Great American Race w/out having to hear about a missing girl on the news in FL. This case is a real mystery. No clues, no forced entry, no sign of struggle. The girl goes to Church services on Wed, comes home & is tucked into bed by grandma near 10P E. The father comes home finds the door unlocked & her alarm is ringing at 6A E. He opens the door she's not there.

Both the 10 yr old girl & a purple dolphin doll (she got at the carnival that Sun night)

are missing. It's now been two weeks since. A massive search turned up nothing.

No leads, no clues, no nothing. It's as if she vanished. Ahh .. but there's more.

Three days after the abduction the Teamsters offer a 25K reward & the site is put up accepting donations. A day later Mike Hampton offers 25K as well. The reward is now up to 115K & the donations are said to be close to 30K. When Mark was last interviewed on Fox News his first words did not go out to Jessica but rather to thank people for their donations. He made clear mention of the site & how to donate.

Now am I just being overtly pessimistic & suspicious or do you smell a con as well?

As sick & twisted as it is think about the logistics. Let's say Jessica remains missing long enough to where the donations reach 50K. Then a member of this conspiracy phones in a tip that leads to the recovery of Jessica. That's an easy 165K made off this scam. Though I would be leary of scamming the Teamsters out of 75K.

On the one hand this thought comforts me. I've even tried to reconcile that the people who are donating $ are doing it because they care about Jessica. So if it is a scam then Jessica's life is not endangered. If it's not a scam then the donations can only help. Either way Jessica's better off.