ankiel converted to outfield

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) — Rick Ankiel is ending a pitching career plagued by record wildness and will try to make the St. Louis Cardinals’ roster as an outfielder.

Ankiel, 25, had yet to appear in a spring training game as he tried to revive a career interrupted by control problems and injuries. He was to have pitched in a “B” game Wednesday, but it was rained out.

“We are fully supportive of Rick’s decision to convert to an everyday outfielder,” Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty said. “Rick will continue to train with the major league club this spring, and we look forward to seeing his development as a full-time batter and outfielder.”

Ankiel missed most of the 2003 and 2004 seasons after reconstructive elbow surgery, and also sat out the entire 2002 season with a sprained left elbow.

This is such a stupid move. The guy obviously has his command back, as shown by him walking a grand total of three batters in 33.2 IP, and St. Louis allows him to become an outfielder? The Cardinals have close to nothing in pitching prospects, other than Reyes who has had one good year, and they convert one? Dumb, dumb move.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
This is such a stupid move. The guy obviously has his command back, as shown by him walking a grand total of three batters in 33.2 IP, and St. Louis allows him to become an outfielder? The Cardinals have close to nothing in pitching prospects, other than Reyes who has had one good year, and they convert one? Dumb, dumb move.

Couldn't agree more.

It was HIS decision to make the switch. I don't know who to believe, some of my Cub fan buddies say the guy looked wild in his last start, then even worse in an intrasquad game. Supposedly, at one point he literally quit on the mound saying he didn't want to risk hitting one of his own players.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Call me crazy, but isn't having an accurate throwing arm important to an outfielder? :huh

Accurate as an outfielder is much different than accurate as a pitcher.

A cutoff man is bigger than a strike zone.

I think he'll be better off making this change, since the pressure of throwing strikes obviously got to him.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
I, for one, would be shocked to see Rick ever appear in a major league game as an outfielder.

I totally agree, not only do I not see him being more than a below average hitter, I dont see how he could be a good fielder. Does anyone know if he can run or if he has any range at all?

I am now of the opinion (I didn't invent the theory unfortunately) that this is a ruse organized by the brilliant Tony La Russa and Walt Jocketty. They will now be able to send him down the minors, out of options, because he will clear waivers as an outfielder where he wouldn't have as a pitcher. No team can put Rick on their 40 man as an outfielder.

I say K-Dub should try to get him some how. I agree that when his control is on, he has as good as stuff as Wood and not as violent as a motion. K-Dub get it done. It can't hurt at all and stick him in the bullpen. Then you could have him as a spot starter and a lefty in the pen like Oz wants. Willie(even though I support him) for Ankiel.

Before anyone makes light of someone's brain glitches, like Ankiel or Knoblauch, they should read Peter Gammon's March 10th column on Rick Ankeil at ESPN website. In fact, I'd recommend it any baseball fan. Sometimes, as fans, we are so critical of ballplayers and in most cases, it's just not warrented.