Notes: El Duque gets 'B'etter results

greasywheels121

practically no reward. He hit around the old Borchard line in his last go around. He has 1 career steal (and tell me that's no big deal when all this board has been praising lately is speed and defense when Jeremy has neither. People are glad that Lee is gone for not fitting our new mold and then they like the idea of having this stiff). Giambi has never been a run producer or a scorer. Lastly, his career slugging percentage has been eclipsed by Timoniel F'n Perez twice.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
practically no reward. He hit around the old Borchard line in his last go around. He has 1 career steal (and tell me that's no big deal when all this board has been praising lately is speed and defense when Jeremy has neither. People are glad that Lee is gone for not fitting our new mold and then they like the idea of having this stiff). Giambi has never been a run producer or a scorer. Lastly, his career slugging percentage has been eclipsed by Timoniel F'n Perez twice.

Ya, and the year before he played in over 100 games with 20 HR's and a .400 OBP. The guy has some value. Just look at his career numbers and he's been nothing but a good bench player.

I think this is a real good move. Not saying he's gonna start but he isn't a bad bat to have off the bench. The one thing that kills him is that he's not very good defensively or super versatile.

But he can handle a bat. I know he struggled with Boston, but typically he'll do a .260/.380 with some pop. Hell if he played every day he'd hit 25 hr's.

Also he's supposed to be like Jason, ie a very good character individual in the clubhouse.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
actually he's not a good character guy. The only reason the A's dumped him was because he was thought to be too wild and not good in the clubhouse

Is there a source anywhere that says he's either a good guy for the clubhouse or not?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
Is there a source anywhere that says he's either a good guy for the clubhouse or not?

He was supposed to be not so good in the clubhouse. I don't know if it was his drug use, his partying ways, or he was just an ass. Its was supposedly the reason Beane sent him packing although he was his type of player. I don't understand this signing at all, even if it is for Charlotte. This guy has a marijuana history, a steriod history, can't play a position, and couldn't hit while on the juice in Boston. I think it sends the wrong message, and will do absolutely nothing of benefit for the organization. KW's talk about bringing in quality guys turns out to be a bunch of BS.

Edited by Dick Allen

The signing doesn't really make all that sense to me. Especially since KW won't comment. If that means anything. :huh

Jeremy Giambi - DH - White Sox   

Jeremy Giambi signed a minor league contract with the White Sox.

Giambi, who did not play at all in the majors last season, reported to camp with Chicago earlier this week. White Sox GM Ken Williams declined to comment on the signing, which doesn't exactly bode well for Giambi's status in the organization. Mar. 10 - 8:23 am et

Source: Chicago Sun-Times