Ever Get Made Fun Of?

SoxFan1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:36 PM)
I can beat that. Just try explaining to someone in Australia that you spend time on a message board talking about the Chicago White Sox.  :P

Actually at University today I saw an American Exchange Student wearing a Chicago Cubs T-Shirt. Ugh... you know what that means, they're migrating.  :crying

Now that's a damn good idea. We'll send ALL the Cub fans to Australia.

Several years back, I was walking into Busch Stadium for a miscellaneous Cardinals game. I was, of course, wearing a Sox cap. Some dude, all dressed in red, sees the cap and says to me, "Gene Mauch says that chicago sports fans are losers, and White Sox fans are real losers."

My response, which brought the same dumb blank look you get from your typical Cub fan was, "So tell me, what has Gene Mauch ever won."

Dumb blank look

Me: "That's what I thought." And I walked away.

Get into the stadium, take my seat and look around .... The guy is sitting directly behind me! Turns out, he was pretty knowledgable and we had a good time talking baseball during the game.

It's pointless to argue with Cub fans, even though I do it all the time.

Basically every arguement comes down to the same thing since neither team has won in a century.

Cubs fans make fun of Sox fans because they don't support their team and fill the park.

Sox fans make fun of Cub fans for not knowing anything about baseball and just going to that sewer of a ballpark just for the party.

Personally, I would love more "fair-weather" fans this season at the Cell. A full house is always better than the 11,000 people we get in April against the Royals.

We all know that there are plenty of great Sox fans and if the Sox win, the fans will pack the stadium. We also all know some Cub fans that have baseball knowledge and actually don't like the yuppified Wrigley experience or the AssClowns that give them all a bad name.

Oh well, basically until one of the teams wins, neither really has anything to brag about.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Just try explaining to someone in Canada that you spend time on a message board talking about the Chicago White Sox.

Just tell them you bash the US on a regular basis and they'll understand.

:P :usa

Just kidding, man. :whip

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
People don't like baseball here. Also, what's a reasonable team batting average for high school?

That's a hard question to answer. In high school teams with really good pitching can dominate. It's not unusual for a hot shot high school pitcher to have 18-20 K's in a 7 inning game. Some have K'd all 21. What you will find is a great disparity between the top teams and the also rans. There is a much wider gap at the high school level than in the minor leagues, let alone MLB. The really good high school teams will have team batting averages over .350. Notre Dame High School of Niles, last years IHSA AA baseball champs had a team batting average of .358 going into the quarter finals (elite 8) of the tournament. Joliet Catholic, the state runner up was batting .374 and had a team ERA under 1.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
I don't see it as being elitest when people are debating who should be the Sox reserve outfielder?

But it was the GAME thread ! I was there to see what was going on in the game. Having to wade through the arguments just to get the score every 3 pages was bulls***. Just try to keep to the topic and I'll be happy . I love reading the arguments when they're where they're supposed to be.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
But it was the GAME thread ! I was there to see what was going on in the game. Having to wade through the arguments just to get the score every 3 pages was bulls***. Just try to keep to the topic and I'll be happy . I love reading the arguments when they're where they're supposed to be.

I know i am not an elitest and i am sure dorf and 3eb are not but i may be wrong.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
Possessing great baseball knowledge is a double-edged sword, especially in Chicago with so many mindless Cub fans.

On one hand, you want to shut the guy up spouting off wrong stats, terrible insight, etc. So you correct them, right? The problem is you end up either looking like a pompous, elitist baseball asshole or they completely ignore your statement and continue to "impress" their friends with their misinformed baseball knowledge.

My solution: put money on things. Taking someone's money whether it be a dollar or one hundred dollars is accepted by most in society as effectively "pwning" the other person (in computer speak). At least I know that's how I get asshole cub fans to shut up...simple phrasing as "you wanna make a bet?" *

Ultimately, all of these arguments are usually in bars/ballparks where one's ego prevents them from accepting the fact that they're wrong. Whether it's a girlfriend to impress, or a group of your boys, guys just won't know when they're beat and that's when the discussion turns into "my ballpark has more fans than yours, you guys suck".

So ya, getting labeled an "elitist" sucks, but you should use that to your advantage...make a couple bucks off of all this knowledge you possess and maybe next time that asshole that spouts off about something he doesn't know he'll think twice about the possibility of someone around him actually knowing about the subject and hurting his wallet again.

In conclusion, don't gamble because it's bad for you. However if you really want to shut up that asshole sitting next to you, having him put his money where his mouth is is a quality way of achieving your goal. Much like "bar bets", sports bets are the epitome of shutting the other person down. Plus a couple extra bucks is always good. :P

*Note: gambling is not good for you kids, don't do it...this is my responsible message of the day.

POST OF THE CENTURY! :headbang :headbang :headbang

I LOVE making sports bets with friends. I bet a Cubs fan friend of mine a couple years ago that Moises Alou would NOT win the Triple Crown. The dude actually bet me that Moises Alou would WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN. I was flabbergasted, but the bet was only a pizza. Cubs fans will never bet me, even relatively safe bets, like Cubs having a better record than the Sox the past couple years.

A friend of mine actually wanted to bet me $50 that the Cubs would have 3 20-game winners...I thought about it for, like, 1 second, and was tempted, but then I just walked away and realized that money won THAT easily wouldn't feel right. Oh BTW, I had another discussion today with this Cub's fan. He actually told me that he thinks Arammis Ramirez is better than Albert Pujols............................never laughed harder in my life............and didn't talk to the guy the rest of the day. No lie.

Seriously....they're everywhere. Another of my Cubs friends told me that the Cubs outfield will steal more than the Sox outfield. I replied with:

"You guys have Jeromy f***ing Burnitz in RF!" and proceeded to walk away.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
That's a hard question to answer. In high school teams with really good pitching can dominate. It's not unusual for a hot shot high school pitcher to have 18-20 K's in a 7 inning game. Some have K'd all 21. What you will find is a great disparity between the top teams and the also rans. There is a much wider gap at the high school level than in the minor leagues, let alone MLB. The really good high school teams will have team batting averages over .350. Notre Dame High School of Niles, last years IHSA AA baseball champs had a team batting average of .358 going into the quarter finals (elite 8) of the tournament. Joliet Catholic, the state runner up was batting .374 and had a team ERA under 1.

A friend of mine who plans to play catcher at Wartburg (D3 in Iowa) said the goals they set for this year was win conference, make it to state and bat .375 as a team.