Ever Get Made Fun Of?

SoxFan1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
I live in Iowa. About 30 miles from the Minnesota border. But I hate all Minnesota sports. I hate the Twins, Vikings, and Timberwolves.

Sorry....you live in Iowa. :headshake :lol: BTW, Punch and Judy Garland....I sometimes make up stats to give my argument the extra UMPH! too. :banghead

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
You make a good point, but I will say that I think sometimes (trust me-myself included) can come off to casual fans as elitest and intimidate people into avoiding baseball because they don't know enough. I don't believe this anecdote applies to your particular situation, just something to remember. One of point I should make in the interest of accuracy  is that The Whiffer Patterson is a much better defender than Pods.

Excellent post Punch . I read this board almost every day and yet I cant see myself having thousands of posts about the White Sox. Yes I'm a huge Sox fan have been since i was 10 yrs old 37 yrs ago. I know the team inside and out but, woo boy there are a bunch of argumentative know-it-alls on this website. I swear half of them must fantasize about being the Sox GM. The way they know stats and argue about the tiniest crap amazes me. I mean yesterday's game thread was ruined by guys arguing who's worth more to the Sox Timo or Borchard. Elitist ?? Hell yes!

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
Excellent post Punch . I read this board almost every day and yet I cant see myself having thousands of posts about the White Sox. Yes I'm a huge Sox fan have been since i was 10 yrs old 37 yrs ago.  I know the team inside and out  but, woo boy there are a bunch of argumentative know-it-alls on this website. I swear half of them must fantasize about being the Sox GM. The way they know stats and argue about the  tiniest crap amazes me. I mean yesterday's game thread was ruined by guys arguing who's worth more to the Sox Timo or Borchard. Elitist ?? Hell yes!

I don't see it as being elitest when people are debating who should be the Sox reserve outfielder?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 02:52 AM)
I do the exact same thing.

I don't even wanna get into it.

I don't wanna start an argument even if they are clearly wrong.  Just not worth the time.

Yeah, I know what you're saying.

If you want to, you could argue it -- but you know you do, you'll either a.) leave the person dumbfounded by their lack of understanding of a certain statistic or, b.) be made fun of for an knowing too much about a team, and being told to 'get a life', or something along those lines.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)

If you want to, you could argue it -- but you know you do, you'll either a.) leave the person dumbfounded by their lack of understanding of a certain statistic or, b.) be made fun of for an knowing too much about a team, and being told to 'get a life', or something along those lines.

EXACTLY!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
Tom, you know how it is.

I say the word 'OPS', heads are turning because they've become bored. 

Whatever.

I'm just messin with ya, theres like 3 people we know that are able to carry on a baseball conversation without, CUBS/SOX suck... usually that gets me involved, and you kicked my ass in the eric milton argument :chair

There are elitists in every area of interest. I don't think we have many here, but just more that good fans and good people accidentally stray that way at times. That said, it's March and if we can't argue about Timo Perez then this is going to be a long month. Lastly, We can't really whine about not having enough fans at the ballpark and then criticize those who come on half-price night and don't know who the starting pitcher is. You gotta take the good with the bad

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)

Exactly.

I just go yep, agreed, nods head, yes, uh-huh, sure, whatever.

Unless it's Sox bashing then I snap.

Neither do I. It was a valid, controlled argument that highly affects the team. BTW, it was 2 days ago when Borch hit the 2 HR's.

And how often does Borchie do that? He can't even reach the Mendoza Line. Joe has created the Borchard line by batting under .175. I think Kenny should dump him while he still has some trade value left after that big 2 homer game. We only have 1 more option on him. After that, he will have to clear waivers if we want to send him to the minors.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 03:23 AM)
And how often does Borchie do that?  He can't even reach the Mendoza Line.  Joe has created the Borchard line by batting under .175.  I think Kenny should dump him while he still has some trade value left after that big 2 homer game.  We only have 1 more option on him.  After that, he will have to clear waivers if we want to send him to the minors.

No, it's just the constant ragging on Borchard that gets tiresome.

Yes, he hasn't succeeded. But, it's not like he's taken the money and run -- from all accounts, he's one of the hardest workers -- unfortunately, working hard doesn't always translate.

Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm probably the only person with a Joe Borchard jersey, but I dunno -- he seems like a blue collar guy who didn't make it. Oh well, move on...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)

Yes, he hasn't succeeded.  But, it's not like he's taken the money and run -- from all accounts, he's one of the hardest workers -- unfortunately, working hard doesn't always translate.

Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm probably the only person with a Joe Borchard jersey, but I dunno -- he seems like a blue collar guy who didn't make it.  Oh well, move on...

s***....I'd be backing him up too if I spent $100 on that jersey!

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
I'm a girl and I follow the sox almost slavishly. So, yeah, I get teased quite a bit about it.

A real man would love me for my obsession. *sigh*

I'm too old, too broke and too married for you. I do hope you find a real man to share your obsession with.

Yes, he hasn't succeeded.  But, it's not like he's taken the money and run -- from all accounts, he's one of the hardest workers -- unfortunately, working hard doesn't always translate.

Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm probably the only person with a Joe Borchard jersey, but I dunno -- he seems like a blue collar guy who didn't make it.  Oh well, move on...

Did you forget about the big $5.3 million signing bonus the Sox gave him? With his horrible offensive output, he pretty much HAS taken the money and run. He will probably be in the NFL in a couple year a la Drew Henson. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love listening to mindless Cub dribble just as much as the rest of you guys, but I firmly believe in, "there's always a bigger guy." For as much as you know, or think you know, there is always someone out there that can talk you under the table on any given subject (politics, academics, sports, movies). There is nothing worse than talking like an expert on a subject only for someone to come along and either tear your logic to bits or correct nearly everything you just commented on.

Punch, I couldn't agree more with you're point on non-knowledgeable ticket purchasing. If you come out to the ballpark, you don't need to know everything about baseball (not that I'm saying any of you are implying that). In fact, not one of you have even touched on that. That said, when Cub fans bring up attendance it's very, very tempting to say, "I'd rather have 8, 000 knowledgeable fans in my ballpark than 30,000 drunken, cell-phone yapping, phone-number hunting, yupee idiots.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 03:34 AM)
Did you forget about the big $5.3 million signing bonus the Sox gave him?  With his horrible offensive output, he pretty much HAS taken the money and run.  He will probably be in the NFL in a couple year a la Drew Henson. :lol:

Is it Borchard's fault the Sox gave him that much money?

I'm sure that if you were offered $5.3, you wouldn't defer...

Yeah I have it both ways too. I rip Cubs fans for being yuppies and then can't stand fans who don't even know who Shingo is. Oh well. My cross to bear I guess. Borch didn't take the money and run. He's not Zack Randolph or aEddy Curry in 06. He hasn't been worht the money but that doesn't mean he stole it from the Sox. He's tried very hard and done everything the organization asked him. I think his only shot now is a change of scenery.

Is it Borchard's fault the Sox gave him that much money?

I'm sure that if you were offered $5.3, you wouldn't defer...

The Sox gave Borchard that much money because he looked like he deserved it from the way he hit at Stanford. Has he earned even $1 million of that $5.3 million? Hell no.