Levine on Borchard's stock + Harris to Milwaukee?

Jabroni

I saw this post at the "other" White Sox fan site...

On the way home a few minutes ago I heard Bruce Levine talking about Joe Borchard. He said he was at the game when Borchard hit 2 home runs and shortly after his second home run an "assisant GM for a NL Central ballclub" got on the phone with his GM and said, "you won't believe it, he just hit another one, this time to the opposite field".

Levine also said that the Milwaukee Brewers are very interested in Willie Harris. Levine said that he would like the Sox to go after Wes Helms because they need a right-handed backup 3B/SS.

A follow-up on this post; I'm pretty sure that the NL Central ballclub he mentioned is probably the Pittsburgh Pirates. He didn't mention any names but it's been made obvious that the Pirates have been in the market for a power hitting OF for a while.

Hmmm, the Pirates. Rob Mackowiak anyone? He fits what we need. He can play multiple positions (3B, RF, LF, CF, and even some 2B). He also has some speed on the base-paths. He could backup Crede at 3B and maybe even Iguchi at 2B.

Edited by Jabroni

I'm at the point right now, that whenever I see Levine on tv, I get upset. It's not good for my health.

As for this 'rumor', if they want to deal Borchard to the Pirates, fine. If they want to trade Harris, fine, just make sure whoever we get back has some speed. I'd like to see Ozzie have options at the end of a game if he needs someone to run.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
I'm at the point right now, that whenever I see Levine on tv, I get upset. It's not good for my health.

As for this 'rumor', if they want to deal Borchard to the Pirates, fine. If they want to trade Harris, fine, just make sure whoever we get back has some speed. I'd like to see Ozzie have options at the end of a game if he needs someone to run.

I would say mackowiak has above average speed and is a pretty good idea what to do on the base paths.

Edited by qwerty

Mackowiak is better than borchard, why would they give him up?

Maybe Willie and Borchard for Mackowiak and a prospect. Mackowiak was rumored to be on the trading block last season. The Pirates desperately need an outfielder with power. That's why they were trying to sign Jeromy Burnitz and more recently trying to trade for Eric Byrnes of the A's. Mackowiak is the perfect utility guy, except he doesn't play SS. But he does play 3B, RF, LF, CF, and some 2B. If we trade Willie, Ozuna or Valdez could be our backup SS/2B though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=6725

Scouting Report

2004 Season

Rob Mackowiak saw the most action of his four-year career and set career highs with 155 games, 17 home runs and 75 RBI. He also proved versatile by making 51 starts at third base, 40 in right field, 16 in left field and 15 in center field. Mackowiak saw most of his action at third base early in the season when veteran Chris Stynes struggled, then played primarily in the outfield after the Pirates acquired third baseman Ty Wigginton from the New York Mets in a July 30 trade.

Hitting

Mackowiak produces good power with a compact swing and is particularly adept at pulling pitches. He crushes low fastballs, especially from righthanders. Mackowiak is overly aggressive and often gets himself out on breaking balls and heaters out of the strike zone when he falls behind in the count. He likes to hit in big situations and has a tendency to show more patience and put the ball in play when the game is on the line.

Baserunning & Defense

Mackowiak has very good speed and uses it wisely. He is a high-percentage basestealer and adept at going from first to third and second to home on base hits. Mackowiak is an adequate third baseman with good reflexes and a very strong arm but only ordinary range. He is a better defender in the outfield with the speed to play center, though he is smoother playing on one of the corners.

2005 Outlook

Mackowiak, a former 53rd-round draft pick, got a chance to play regularly for the first time last season and was exposed as the season wore on. He hit just .165 in his last 48 games and only .164 against lefthanded pitchers. He is better suited to a super-utility role with his ability to play every position on the field but pitcher and shortstop. That will be his role this season, playing almost exclusively against righthanders.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
Plus willie harris who they supposedly have a lot of interest.

Those two for Rob , I will take in a minute. Mackowiak, is a real gritty player who plays every pitch of every inning. I would love it. I will remian consistant that Harris will be gone by the end of spring training.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Mackowiak is better than borchard, why would they give him up?

I'd do that trade in a heart beat. I'm not saying what I really think of Borchard until ST ends and due to respect he is a member of the family on this site.

God damn Terry, how've you been!?

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:48 AM)
Those two for Rob , I will take in a minute. Mackowiak, is a real gritty player who plays every pitch of every inning. I would love it. I will remian consistant that Harris will be gone by the end of spring training.

Same here Quick. I would really like that deal.

QUOTE(Cali @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Also is Mackowiak a White Sox fan from his youth?

His player page says he was born in Oak Lawn. I thought I remembered hearing he may have been a Sox fan.

Yup, he's a sox fan or atleast was growing up.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
I saw this post at the "other" White Sox fan site...

Hmmm, the Pirates.  Rob Mackowiak anyone?  He fits what we need.  He can play multiple positions (3B, LF, RF, 1B, and even some CF and 2B).  He also has some speed on the base-paths.  He could backup Crede at 3B and maybe even Iguchi at 2B.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...42entry557742

Thanks, I called it in January.

I'll take my bows now. :notworthy :notworthy

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...42entry557742

Thanks, I called it in January.

I'll take my bows now.  :notworthy  :notworthy

I think we would keep Adkins but it is entirely plausible that Kenny could deal him. The reason I think Kenny wants to keep Adkins is incase we have an injury to one of our starters. Adkins has looked solid and he could probably spot start after he stretches out in Charlotte. It would make more sense to trade Borchard (only 1 option left and he isn't making the roster) and Willie (can he really backup SS?). Both Ozuna and Valdez would probably be fine as our backup SS/2B. Especially Ozuna. ;)

With the way Crede sucked last season and how he is currently struggling in spring training, I could see Kenny wanting a solid backup at 3B.

Edited by Jabroni

I'd find it hard to believe that we could only get Mackowiak (sp) for both of them. Maybe a PTBNL also. I'd like Mackowiak.

Agreed. I could see it being Borchard and Willie for Mackowiak and a prospect or a PTBNL.

This trade would actually make sense too. The Pirates traded for Ty Wiggington in the Kris Benson deal at last year's trading deadline. Wiggington will be their starting 3B. Mackowiak will be relegated to utility-man and they already have Bobby Hill who can adequately back up both 3B and 2B. Their starting 2B is righty Jose Castillo and Willie could platoon rather well with him, being a lefty. Considering the Pirates traded their leadoff man in Jason Kendall, Willie could also take over that role eventually. And they still need a power-hitting outfielder (Borchard).

However, there's such a glut at COF and could he play SS?

Mackowiak can't play SS but it's about the only position he can't play. He can play 3B, RF, LF, CF, and even some 2B. Being able to play every outfield position is only a plus when he's already solid at 3B. Being able to back up Crede is the key here. Of course, we would still need to keep Ozuna or Valdez on the roster but we needed one of them anyways since Willie is a 2B and not a SS.

Edited by Jabroni

Of course we could do it, have Valdez or Ozuna as the backup IF and with Mackowiak being able to play cOF we could just get rid of Timo. :lol:

Yep, I like Timo but the addition of Mackowiak would make him a waste of a roster spot. Mackowiak could be our version of Jerry Hairston Jr. It would actually make sense...

12 pitchers

Pierzynski

Davis

Crede

Gload

Iguchi

Konerko

Ozuna OR Valdez

Uribe

Dye

Everett

Mackowiak

Podsednik

Rowand

That could be our opening day 25-man roster. Once Frank is healthy, we could just send down one of our relievers and go with 11 pitchers. This trade would be good because we could have a lineup containing 4 lefties with Mackowiak at 3B.

Edited by Jabroni

Is our entire bench going to be basically left handed? The only person serviceable from the right hand side would be Ozuna/Valdez. Everett (once Thomas comes back) is much better from the left side, along with Davis who can hit from the left side and awful from the right, Timo another left, and Mackowiak or Harris are lefties. We have an extremely unbalanced bench. We need to get a respectable right handed bat off the bench.

Is our entire bench going to be basically left handed?  The only person serviceable from the right hand side would be Ozuna/Valdez.  Everett (once Thomas comes back) is much better from the left side, along with Davis who can hit from the left side and awful from the right, Timo another left, and Mackowiak or Harris are lefties.  We have an extremely unbalanced bench.  We need to get a respectable right handed bat off the bench.

Well, I guess we could trade for Wes Helms. He's a righty bat. :puke

One Brewers' scout, when asked if he was at Thursday's game to watch Harris, smiled and said, "Willie Harris? I'm not sure I know who he is." !!!!!!!!!

Yeah if the brewers scout did say that then you cant blame levine for getting information like that espically when scout tells us that.

One Brewers' scout, when asked if he was at Thursday's game to watch Harris, smiled and said, "Willie Harris? I'm not sure I know who he is." !!!!!!!!!

Yeah if the brewers scout did say that then you cant blame levine for getting information like that espically when scout tells us that.

Keith Ginter would have been great but he was traded to the A's. :crying Wes Helms is Crede with a worse glove.

Edited by Jabroni