A hotel/resort that could ONLY come from...

EvilMonkey

Nice to see someone betting their pocket books on their beliefs. I laugh down here as we promote Eco-Tourism and shuttle people around in Hummers, drive across the beaches, stay in hotels that wash your sheets daily (who does that at home?).

The hook for that resort is the environement, seems like good business practice to not crap in your mess kit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
Nice to see someone betting their pocket books on their beliefs. I laugh down here as we promote Eco-Tourism and shuttle people around in Hummers, drive across the beaches, stay in hotels that wash your sheets daily (who does that at home?).

The hook for that resort is the environement, seems like good business practice to not crap in your mess kit.

It also seems like good business practice to not exclude half of one's potential clientele based on political affiliation. Despite what the knuckleheads who run this resort may think, quite a few Republicans actually do give a damn about the environment.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
http://oceanhaven.com/htmls/practices.html

Check out there various posts of things not allowed.  Yeah, they really "Respecting the interdependence & diversity of all life."  Think there are any hotles out there that have "No Kerry voters" in their ads or web pages?

That is what people like to call a... uhm, what's the word again? Oh yeah, A JOKE!!

Seriously, anybody that cares enough about west coast rocky intertidal to spend $$$ to stay in a low-impact cabin with no internet, SUV access, daily maid service, etc., has placed the environment and responsible environmental stewardship of the environment at the top of their personal priority list. Ergo, they wouldn’t have voted for Bush anyway.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Then they would not have voted for Bush.

Now, Jim, didn't your mother tell you that stereotyping is wrong? :rolly

Both my wife and I voted for Bush and we regularly recycle (which is a chore around here, given that we have to drive all the freaking way to the other end of town to do so) and are going to purchase a hybrid car soon. I wouldn't call us activists, but we most certainly do have a healthy respect for the environment.

While we're both dissatisfied with Bush's environmental policies, we're even more concerned about our nation's current economic and national security issues. Senator Frankenstein didn't seem like a good alternative for dealing with the latter two.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

Read how a staunch conservative GOOPer Evil titled this thread and tell me again that Bushies would like staying in a eco-friendly, low impact resort. The drill and pump oil through the ANWR crowd, isn't staying here. They may have eliminated a small percentage of their potential guests, perhaps someone like you, but I agree with Jim, they didn't eliminate much of their market.

Every business should have a target market in mind with their marketing. Just like cruises do not spend much time marketing to 19 year olds, or Moet & Chandon taking out ads in college newspapers, this company knows their primary market are those individuals who hold our environment in high esteem and willing to pay for the privilege. For the most part, they do not vote Republican. COuld you imagine Rush reading their eco-friendly ads? I believe he calls them environmental wackos.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Every business should have a target market in mind with their marketing. Just like cruises do not spend much time marketing to 19 year olds, or Moet & Chandon taking out ads in college newspapers, this company knows their primary market are those individuals who hold our environment in high esteem and willing to pay for the privilege. For the most part, they do not vote Republican. COuld you imagine Rush reading their eco-friendly ads? I believe he calls them environmental wackos.

Rush is a drugged-up dolt.

I understand the concept of target marketing, but I still think that the "no Bushies allowed" clause in their advertisement is stupid. At the very least, it makes them look petty and elitist.

Image is extremely important when selling a product. The belief that people like Michael Moore and Barbara Streisand were affiliated with the Democratic Party (whether it was true or not) probably cost Kerry a couple hundred thousand votes this past November.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Read how a staunch conservative GOOPer Evil titled this thread and tell me again that Bushies would like staying in a eco-friendly, low impact resort. The drill and pump oil through the ANWR crowd, isn't staying here. They may have eliminated a small percentage of their potential guests, perhaps someone like you, but I agree with Jim, they didn't eliminate much of their market.

I really don't consider myself a 'staunch conservative', but oh well. My main point was the 'no Bush voters' statement. Unless you were going to a Republican national Convention, have you ever seen a 'No Kerry voters', or 'Democrats not welcome' anywhere? Get over it already, stop the hatered, move on with your life. Targeting the eco-friendly crowd is fine. It seems to fit the location and their vision, and as you said earlier, it is nice to see someone betting their pocket books on their beliefs. I just think the Bush voters line is over the top and uncalled for.

I really believe it is more a marketing gimmick. Knowing that the hardcore Bushies would not be your market and your market would cheer. Think of a bar outside Cominsky with a No Cub Fans sign up. Are they stupid for turning away more than half the baseball fans in Chicago? Or acting like their best customers?

I disagree with the business strategy on several points. Number one, taking people into the wilderness and teaching them that Leave No Trace camping and other use in the wilderness, can be comfortable, and ultimately more rewarding, and helps everyone. Not teaching, or at least attempting to teach those that oppose you or who are indifferent, hurts the cause in the long run.

Number 2, it does paint the "environmental wackos" out there even further. As a moderate Democrat, I'm embarrassed by some of this stuff. Up until the day of the election, I was very much undecided. One of my biggest dislikes of Bush was the environment.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Rush is a drugged-up dolt.

Agreed, and he oughta turn himself in too and face the music he said other drug addicts oughta face for the last 15 years.

IImage is extremely important when selling a product.  The belief that people like Michael Moore and Barbara Streisand were affiliated with the Democratic Party (whether it was true or not) probably cost Kerry a couple hundred thousand votes this past November.

Michael Moore - Not affiliated.

Barbra Streisand - affiliated.

Both are bleeding heart liberals.

But dude, its a joke. Calm down.