Is there a doctor in the house?

TheBigHurt35

I suffered a foot injury late last week (presumably while jogging on a treadmill), but am not sure exactly what it is. I was wondering if anybody here could enlighten me. Here's what happened...

I was jogging on a treadmill last Friday, as I usually do 3-5 times a week. However, my legs didn't feel quite right during my short run (only about a mile and a half) and my calves and ankles felt unusually weak later that evening. The next morning, I had a bit of minor pain in my ankle and by the time the afternoon rolled around, the pain became much worse and "moved" to the outer edge of my foot about an inch in front of my ankle. By the late afternoon, I couldn't walk without limping. I could also feel a little bit of discomfort in my ankle and lower calf while walking. Strangely, the swelling was very minimal and there wasn't much bruising (although the affected area did appear a faint red color).

I managed to stay off of it for most of Sunday and it felt better, but it got bad again on Monday and I began to fear that I might have to actually go to a (gasp!) doctor. Fortunately, I was able to fight through it (with the help of aspirin) and it felt significantly better today (and, interestingly, it took until today to really bruise).

I have two questions:

(1) What is this injury? I'm thinking that it's either a strained muscle or perhaps even a hairline fracture in a bone (although the latter seems less likely).

(2) Why the heck did I not feel anything for 12 hours and why did the pain move from my ankle to the outer edge of my foot?

I should also mention that I have flat feet but, even after playing sports throughout my teens and 20's, I haven't really had any problems with my feet. Looks like I may need orthopedic soles now. I also typically don't stretch before jogging (although that's going to change now) and am thinking that tightness in my calf and/or hamstring may have contributed to it.

If you have any ideas, thanks in advance.

Sorry, I can't diagnose the injury, but can offer some tips on the stretching.

1. Warm up gradually by walking, to a slow jog, then running.

2. Stretch before, during, and after. The after can be the most critical. This is presumably when you are the most limber. Stretching then will actually help to increase your overall flexibility by going beyond your usual range.

3. When feeling sore or tired, prop your feet, take a rest, and live to run another day.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Sorry, I can't diagnose the injury, but can offer some tips on the stretching.

1. Warm up gradually by walking, to a slow jog, then running.

2. Stretch before, during, and after. The after can be the most critical. This is presumably when you are the most limber. Stretching then will actually help to increase your overall flexibility by going beyond your usual range.

3. When feeling sore or tired, prop your feet, take a rest, and live to run another day.

Thanks anyway. I agree that stretching is key. I could get away with not stretching for so long... and it's all crashing down on me right around age 30. Just like Griffey. :unsure:

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I'm not a Dr. but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Diagnosis? A Shifted Uterus.

Is that a manual or automatic shift Uterus? I heard they are great on gas milage.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I'm not a Dr. but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Diagnosis? A Shifted Uterus.

LMAO! Does anyone have some paper towels or a dishrag so I can get the coffee off of my monitor?

Just saw Tex's response...screw it, I need a new monitor and keyboard now lol!