Is BMac the 6th starter?

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
Looks like RotoWorld thinks so.....................

Brandon McCarthy yielded just one hit in four scoreless innings against the Rangers today.

Hank Blalock doubled to become the only batter to reach base against McCarthy. With the way Jose Contreras and Orlando Hernandez have looked so far, there's a real chance the White Sox are going to need McCarthy by July, maybe sooner.

While most of the time Rotoworld is pretty funny, their remarks on Contreras and Hernandez are absolutely stupid. Basically saying that they won't succeed based on four f***ing starts between the two?

That's absolutely stupid...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
While most of the time Rotoworld is pretty funny, their remarks on Contreras and Hernandez are absolutely stupid.  Basically saying that they won't succeed based on four f***ing starts between the two?

Yeah, that's seriously absurd.

Especially when El Duque openly despises ST and threw a heavy diet of fastballs.

When it comes to pitching in Arizona for ST, results and numbers there shouldn't be taken seriously at all. El Duque and Contreras know what they can do, they're not going to set the world on fire in ST.

While most of the time Rotoworld is pretty funny, their remarks on Contreras and Hernandez are absolutely stupid.  Basically saying that they won't succeed based on four f***ing starts between the two?

Not to mention that because McCarthy threw 5 solid innings in Spring Training he is better than them.

Especially when it's two veterans who already have their spots on the team. All they need to do is get their arms stretched out for the season and that's all they probably care about.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
in my opinion if an injury happens at the begining we should make Dustin Hermason our 5th starter but if it happens like towards middle of the year to end it should be B-Mac unless Adkins is lighting Triple A on fire.

I agree completely. Hermanson is our 6th starter. They won't bring McCarthey up this year unless there are multiple injuries to starting pitchers or the season is a disaster. They won't rush this kid. I don't expect to see him on the major league roster until 2006. If we are out of playoff contention in September (maybe but too depressing to consider).

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 05:52 AM)
I agree completely.  Hermanson is our 6th starter.  They won't bring McCarthey up this year unless there are multiple injuries to starting pitchers or the season is a disaster.  They won't rush this kid.  I don't expect to see him on the major league roster until 2006.  If we are out of playoff contention in September (maybe but too depressing to consider).

While I do agree that we should take our time with him, I have a feeling that we'll be seeing him sometime this season. While Hermanson will be the 6th starter going into the season, I really think the Sox would rather keep the strong bullpen in tact.

Either way, it's nice to have a legitimate debate over a rotation spot that technically doesn't exist. Last year we were trying to figure out which shlub from the minors would take the number 5 spot.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
I am going to start the hype right now.  After watching this kid pitch, and listening to him talk to Hawk and DJ, I have no doubts that this kid could step into our rotation today.

My question is if someone in the Sox rotation got hurt, would Brandon be the first one called up right now?  Has he passed Diaz and Munoz with his outings this spring?

Ozzie thinks so, and I agree with him.

Diaz and Munoz aren't starters...period, so right now Bmac is definately the best option, minus Neal Cotts who I think would make a good starter but Ozzie obviously likes him more out of the pen.

So in short, yes, yes he is and it couldn't happen to a cooler guy.

Holy crap, i heard of bmac a week ago, i guess i have not been paying attention. I saw him pitch 2day but omg hes so skinny i cant see him lasting a whole year. I'm definitely happy to have pitcher i've never heard of though. where did he come from. y'all gonna kill me i know but oh well, cant hurt me too much i'm a sox fan and yeah thats pretty much all i have to say. dont hurt me too bad

i dont know know about 6th starter but... he did look impressive agaisnt texas' opening day line up, i give him another year, maybe he can start next year if the soxs dont retain garland.

Edited by backman

Brandon McCarthy was very impressive, I watched the replay and am reminded of a comment an opposing manager (I can’t remember who) made when Mark Prior was in his first ST with no possibility of making the team. He picked the cubs to win the pennant because any team with 5 pitchers better than him was a lock.

If McCarthy continues at the level he’s been on for the last year, it will become apparent he is being wasted in AAA and they will find innings for him on the big club. I say this because he is not a shot out of the blue, a mediocre guy on a hot streak, he was consistently excellent at three levels in the minors and looked the same against some of the best hitters in Major League Baseball yesterday.

Other comments; A.J. was so quiet behind the plate I had to force myself to concentrate on him; he did a fine job. Josh Fields looked mighty rough, Iguchi’s sliding for that ground ball had some ‘relish’ on it and I too never saw Crede take as short a swing as he did on his double in the first.

I love baseball, Comcast, Miller Lite and tape delay….

Hermanson will probably step in if something happens during the season, but Ozzie should keep Contreras on a short leash. He scres the hell out of me on the mound. He has Ace stuff but on some days it looks like he never has pitched before.

Kenny has remade the team and Ozzie said this is the team he wants. I am holding them to it and will not be patient. Ozzie needs to have a quick trigger with guys like Contreras, Takatsu, Crede and Uribe if things go south fast.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
There are other options we can use besides B-Mac. Hermanson can be used as a starter, and if Adkins is starting in AAA, he could be given a shot as well.

I really don't think Hermanson is a starting option right now, unless something happens real soon. I think they want him around as another closer option, and unless they stretch him out early, he doesn't make much sense as a back up starter.

Right now this is how I envision the next starters based on very early returns and managements comments-or lack there of.... that is if I had to rank them today.

Jon Adkins

Brandon McCarthy

Felix Diax

Josh Stewart

Arnie Munoz

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
Or Diaz, Munoz or Cotts.

Don't call up a guy who is not ready.

But he has been better than all of those pitchers in ST. Not to mention he dominated one of the best offensive lineups in baseball yesterday. In my opinion we should start him down, but if something happens he should be the first inserted for sure. He is better than all of those other guys.

I disagree with all of you. If this kid continues to impress in ST & is lights out in AAA prior to the AS break & the Sox rotation is healthy either Garland or Contreras are gone. Probably Contreras.

It doesn't matter what they do. The better they perform the higher their trade value but one of them is gone for sure if BMac shows he's ready.

I never believed the Sox would carry a mid 70's payroll for the whole year & I still don't. If Koney hasn't signed an extension by the break he's gone as well. That will be the surest sign that Thomas will be kept for 10M (if he hasn't renegotiated a new contract by then) & Gload will take over 1B.

Likely trade bait around the break: Contreras, Garland, Koney, & Crede.

I would not be surprised if all 4 are gone from the 2nd half. They are likely to cost the team 20-25M in 06.

I think the list goes:

Hermanson(I think even KW said it was nice to have a spot starter who has done it before)

Diaz(hopefully they won't bring him up hours before the game)

Adkins(they need to stretch him out)

McCarthy(don't want him up too early and there are obviously other options, but a fast up and coming guy)

Cotts(needs to be stretched out this year)

after bringing in everyone and their mothers for the 5th spot last yr, Ozzie isn't going to screw around trying Hermanson, Adkins, Diaz, Munoz, etc before BMac. If a starter is needed BMac will be the guy. You go with the best guy who could help the sox win games. So far, BMac has shown that he's the sox best option as the "6th" SP. Let's hope he continues and has good health :cheers

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
I disagree with all of you.  If this kid continues to impress in ST & is lights out in AAA prior to the AS break & the Sox rotation is healthy either Garland or Contreras are gone. Probably Contreras. 

It doesn't matter what they do.  The better they perform the higher their trade value but one of them is gone for sure if BMac shows he's ready.

I never believed the Sox would carry a mid 70's payroll for the whole year & I still don't. If Koney hasn't signed an extension by the break he's gone as well.  That will be the surest sign that Thomas will be kept for 10M (if he hasn't renegotiated a new contract by then) & Gload will take over 1B.

Likely trade bait around the break: Contreras, Garland, Koney, & Crede.

I would not be surprised if all 4 are gone from the 2nd half.  They are likely to cost the team 20-25M in 06.

If garland and contreras are doing well, they won't be going anywhere. If they are fading fast like E-Lo did last yr, then maybe. But they won't trade these guys just because BMac is doing well. Bmac is insurance in case of injury/ ineffectiveness. Every SP is one pitch away from a season ending injury. Trading away a good SP [like Garland or Jose] at the deadline because they have a guy in the minors isn't a strategy a playoff contending team will employ. the sox have shown themselves to be buyers not sellers when they are close to first place.

PK won't go anywhere during the season either. The sox might not re-sign him. But they certainly won't trade him for lesser talent mid yr.

while a lot of people wanted Rowand to bat 3rd, i think most knew he wouldnt and thought he would bat 6th, now it looks like he will bat 7th which is the true surprise. And i think most agree B-Mac will only get the 1st call if we are deep enough into the season already that it wouldnt make since to make Hermason our 5th starter.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
Just like Aaron Rowand not batting 3rd just like so many predicted and wanted, I'm predicting that McCarthy isn't the 6th starter.

One big difference is that Ozzie wants BMac as the next man in line. He never said anything about Aaron hitting 3rd.

Odds are very good we'll see BMac this year.

Last year the White Sox used 13 different starts. Buehrle, Garland, Loaiza, Schoeneweis, Garcia, Contreras, Grilli, Diaz, Wright, Stewart, Rauch, Cotts and Munoz.

And that wasn’t even the league high, Texas used 17 different starters! The lowest in baseball were Anaheim and Oakland with 6. The average MLB team used 10.6 different starters. Both WS teams, RSox and Cards, used 8.

So, even under the best of circumstances, somebody not in the 'fab' 5 will likely get some starts. Keeping that in mind makes the ST outings from Atkins, BMac, Tracey, Diaz etal much more interesting to watch.

Edited by TLAK