Question...

LowerCaseRepublican

I don't know why I'm talking about this quandry here but...

So this time next year, I'm gonna be doing my student teaching and then *gasp* out into the work force. Anyway, I got this letter in the mail from some national honorary group in social studies/history that I could join for having a good GPA etc.

Now here's the debate -- my 'rents want me to join because these Greek letters of this organization will help me get a better job, etc. etc. etc. I say that its essentially a stroke job for the ego & I don't need some organization to let me know that I've done well in school. Any employer that would hire me simply on that basis -- I probably wouldn't want to work for them anyways.

Anyway, fellow Soxtalkers, what should I do?

Guess it depends on whether or not they will really help you get a job.

If you think it really will help, I'd do it.

I know a few of my friends who have become teachers have joined organizations that have contributed to helping put them into a position they wanted.

It's really up to you, though.

I got invited to join Psi Chi (for psych), but I wasn't going to, I'd declined the other times I was invited. When I told my parents my senior year they told me I was and sent me a check (I refused to pay to be in a stupid honor organization).

I got into grad school before I joined, so I don't think it will affect your life much if you don't. Other than the fact that you get sweet cords to wear at graduation.

Joining an academic honors society is a good thing, even if you think it's a bunch of bulls*** at this point. Unless the time commitment is unreasonable, it's worth doing simply to help your resume stand out. And don't worry about someone hiring you just because you have this on your resume... you're going to have to show them a lot more than that to convince them to hire you, especially in this economy.

FWIW, I'm going to spend about a week or two working on a research proposal for an NIH fellowship. I'm not going to get paid a dime for doing it and, even if I get it (I have maybe a 50% chance at best), my salary difference will be almost negligible. Having it on my resume, though, will certainly put me at an advantage when I'm applying for my next job.