June 22 Promotion -- Nothing but Nancy

Everyone has their own taste about ballpark music. I'm one of those old fogies who thinks that there's just a little too much canned music nowadays. So I'm happy to tell you that the Sox are going to have a day they're calling Nothing But Nancy Day. It's a Wednesday afternoon day, June 22 against KC, and it's gonna seem like the old days - if you're hearing music, it's Nancy.

BTW, I've noticed that the Sox are goosing up their Wednesday promotions. One of their flyers indicates that if you rent a luxury suite on a Wednesday, you can get another during April and May at a discount. I think Brooks Boyer sees that the weekends take care of themselves, and Monday and Tuesday have half prices. Thursday has dollar dogs, so Wednesdays needed a little perking up.

QUOTE(winodj @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Is this Nancy's last hurrah? Or are they going to extend her contract?

To me its more important to lock her down long term than anyone else.

They have been featuring her a lot more than usual. She was a big part of Soxfest as well. They might well be setting up a retirement, and I don't like that at all.

I know that Nancy is in the second year of a two year contract. Through the years the Sox have negotiated with her after the end of the season. I know that she is as happy with the Sox now as she has been for a long long time, because Rob Gallas is gone and because under Brook Boyer's regime she has been treated nicely. I really don't think that they are greasing the skids to let her go.

QUOTE(winodj @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
The reason I'm freakin out about it is because Brooks made some noise about "not needing" an organist last year. I think I read it in the Cubune.

There was a quote in the USA Today about the Sox renting out the park for weddings, and in it, Brooks was talking about one of the options, which is Nancy playing the organ. Brooks said that the cost of Nancy for the wedding hadn't been determined yet, because "Nancy's priceless."

So he seems pretty much a fan, or at least, sees her role as an asset. He's a smart guy!

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
There was a quote in the USA Today about the Sox renting out the park for weddings, and in it, Brooks was talking about one of the options, which is Nancy playing the organ. Brooks said that the cost of Nancy for the wedding hadn't been determined yet, because "Nancy's priceless."

So he seems pretty much a fan, or at least, sees her role as an asset. He's a smart guy!

Damn right he's smart. The thing that makes him so smart is that he actually listens to Sox fans. What a concept! I believe LCR was right about him making that comment about Nancy last year, and I also believe some Sox fans have straightened out his thinking in that regard.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Don't get me started on Nancy. It pisses me off how we hear less and less of her. I especially miss the 'Na-Na-Hey-Hey' chants led by her. Why has that been toned down??

That is one of my favorite childhood memories of the ballpark... Listening to the whole damn place singing after someone went yard. *sigh* the good old days. I also miss Runaround Sue being played as new pitchers came in.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
Damn right he's smart.  The thing that makes him so smart is that he actually listens to Sox fans.  What a concept!  I believe LCR was right about him making that comment about Nancy last year, and I also believe some Sox fans have straightened out his thinking in that regard.

All us liberals look alike, eh? :chair :bang :D

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Wed., Jun. 22 --- Royals --- Senior Citizens Stroll the Bases 

It's seems they're running a subtle cross-promotion that night

It's an afternoon game, and they often have seniors run the bases and pre game bingo on those days. As someone rapidly approaching that status, I take note of these things. "Outa my way sonny, I'm gonna Torii Hunter this guy!"

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
That is one of my favorite childhood memories of the ballpark... Listening to the whole damn place singing after someone went yard.  *sigh* the good old days.  I also miss Runaround Sue being played as new pitchers came in.

Mine too and it was the WHOLE place and it went on and on and on. Now she might play one verse.... and quietly.