Bulls @ sonics.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
http://www.82games.com/rolandratings0405.htm

Just thought I would pass this along.

If you scroll down you can find Eddy Curry sitting pretty at number 230.

Yep, those ratings are always amusing to me.

These ratings represent a player's value to a particular team and are not intended to be an accurate gauge of the ability and talent of the player away from the specific team.

Garnett ain't even in the Top 50. Hassell is ranked lower than Curry. Fred Hoiberg is ranked #34 overall.

But yeah, Curry is the right guy to lead a suckfest. Unless he turns things around in a hurry, I don't want that dude around.

These ratings are laughable. I don't get it, watch the game. You want to knock Curry knock him all you want, but the guy helps the team. Without Eddy the Bulls would have ZERO low post presence and they would falter.

He needs to improve his rebounding and of course defense. But he did have stretches this year where he played better defense. His quotes today were great talking about him and Chandler and fact is he's in tremendous shape.

Lay off the guy.

Also, its horses*** if anyone thinks Nocioni is that bad. The guy is instremental in a lot of Bulls games. He draws the offensive foul like nobodies business and has done a pretty good job replacing Luol Deng.

Case is, Curry rarely plays when the bench is in and the Bulls bench tends to outscore opponents benches. There are a lot of factors to these ratings and no one is gonna tell me Hassel is one of the worse players in that regard. Hassel may not score but he is one of the best defenders in the NBA.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
I'm just showing how poor we are with him on the floor.

Yep. My point was that you can not put that minus 8 points on Trenton Hassell, as he is one of he best perimiter defenders in this league. It's not his fault that he has to play with Spree, Cassell, Wally World, etc.

But in Curry's case, there's no excuse.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
Done.

I watch every game and there is no excuse for a 7 footer to pull down so few rebounds and be such a non factor on defense, period, end of story.

I know you watch the game. All I'm saying is these stats are horses***. I just want people to tell me what the Bulls would do without his precense down low. He's the one consistent low post scorer the Bulls would have. Without him teams wouldn't even have to worry about the bigs and could shut down the perimeter game.

Harrington is solid off the bench, but he isn't near the force offensively that Eddy is.

And yes his rebounding is awful, no other way of putting it. But don't ignore the things he does well at the same time. He's young and needs to grow, but he's just had back to back pretty good games with 8 boards and minimal TO's. No, its not as good as he needs to be rebounding wise, but its an improvement.

Rebounding is about attitude of wanting to get the ball and he's going to have to get it.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Yeah those ratings aren't my religion or anything I was just kinda passing them along.

You also got to remember i'm not much of a stat guy. Its something that I think ever since Billy Beane tends to get overlooked at. Especially since for every stat for something there is a stat against it and vice versa.

And any stat that has good defenders like Hassell way down as well as a guy like KG way down is just ridiculous, IMO. Everyone knows KG is one of the most valuable players in the NBA to his team, although this year Minny is just a joke.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
I know you watch the game. All I'm saying is these stats are horses***.  I just want people to tell me what the Bulls would do without his precense down low.  He's the one consistent low post scorer the Bulls would have.  Without him teams wouldn't even have to worry about the bigs and could shut down the perimeter game. 

Harrington is solid off the bench, but he isn't near the force offensively that Eddy is. 

And yes his rebounding is awful, no other way of putting it.  But don't ignore the things he does well at the same time.  He's young and needs to grow, but he's just had back to back pretty good games with 8 boards and minimal TO's.  No, its not as good as he needs to be rebounding wise, but its an improvement. 

Rebounding is about attitude of wanting to get the ball and he's going to have to get it.

The problem is Skiles has said he's not much of a low post scorer, and gets most of his points on putsbacks etc. He is not worth max money, which 1 team not named Chicago could give to him this off-season just because of his potential. Ideally, the Bulls should try and sign a guy like Dalembert, who's so much better at the things Curry can't do, and make a sign and trade deal with Curry, and use the remaining cap space on a servicable big.

This just in....

They've redone the scoring, Bulls lost.

------------------------

As for the 82 games site.... Cool stuff. Though now I know how people feel when I post some BP s*** or something. :lol:

WHarris1,

Have you read any Dean Oliver? He's the bill james of basketball. The Sonics hired him on as a consultant last season I believe.

I don't really follow basketball obsessively like I do Baseball. But I would think that SABRmetrics are much more advanced than BASKETmetrics just on Sample size alone. 1) Baseball plays 162 game seasons, 80 more than baskeball 2) Baseball has been around longer. 3) with incredibly well kept records/game logs. 4) there's a type of zero-sum game in Baseball between the pitcher and the batter. There is no such matchup in Basketball.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
This just in....

They've redone the scoring,  Bulls lost.

------------------------

As for the 82 games site.... Cool stuff. Though now I know how people feel when I post some BP s*** or something. :lol:

WHarris1,

Have you read any Dean Oliver?  He's the bill james of basketball.  The Sonics hired him on as a consultant last season I believe.

I don't really follow basketball obsessively like I do Baseball.  But I would think that SABRmetrics are much more advanced than BASKETmetrics just on Sample size alone.  1) Baseball plays 162 game seasons, 80 more than baskeball 2) Baseball has been around longer. 3) with incredibly well kept records/game logs.  4) there's a type of zero-sum game in Baseball between the pitcher and the batter.  There is no such matchup in Basketball.

Never read any of Olivers stuff, definitley something I will look into.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
This just in....

------------------------

WHarris1,

Have you read any Dean Oliver?  He's the bill james of basketball.  The Sonics hired him on as a consultant last season I believe.

I don't really follow basketball obsessively like I do Baseball.  But I would think that SABRmetrics are much more advanced than BASKETmetrics just on Sample size alone.  1) Baseball plays 162 game seasons, 80 more than baskeball 2) Baseball has been around longer. 3) with incredibly well kept records/game logs.  4) there's a type of zero-sum game in Baseball between the pitcher and the batter.  There is no such matchup in Basketball.

Nah, Cheat, most of your stats are pretty darn good and I'm not knocking willie at all. There are only one type of stats that I kind stand in terms of baseball stats and I think you know who they are :)

And is that Dean Oliver, ie the former Hawkeye? Only reason I suspect it may be him is because I thought he was with the Sonics for a short time, or maybe that was Golden State.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
This just in....

You're kidding... right?

Yahoo said that they took back the 3 points at the start of the 4th quarter and the Bulls STILL won by 3.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 02:03 AM)
And is that Dean Oliver, ie the former Hawkeye?  Only reason I suspect it may be him is because I thought he was with the Sonics for a short time, or maybe that was Golden State.

No way. This is the dean oliver.

deano.jpg