Should/Will Mike Davis be back?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should he...No, but will he...Yes

I think the alumni calling for his head will be too much for the AD and they'll eventually axe him.

Personally I think he's getting way too much blame because I think in general he's done a good job. This team was insanely young and its tough to do as good as they did with a team that young. Young teams are bound to be inconsistent.

IU will be a very good team next year.

Hell, the Big 10 should once again be one of the premier conferences next year. If Ill doesn't lose too many guys to early entry, then them, MSU, and IU will all have very good clubs, Iowa has the talent (we'll see if they could put it together) and then of course Ohio State is a good team as well and then Wisconsin and Minny.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
I think there is very little chance Alford would get the IU job.  IF Davis goes, the names I am hearing are Kevin Stallings or Rick Majerus.  But I still think Davis will return.

I highly doubt Majerus would accept any job after the incident that happened after he accepted the USC job earlier this year. I'd say the odds are at about 99% that Majerus is done coaching, at least for the next few years.

Unless of course he drops some weight and gets in better health.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Unless of course he drops some weight and gets in better health.

That would be a prerequisite for him to come back. For any discussions involving him and coaching again to realistically occur, his health would have to be better off.

He's coming back. We'd lose a lot of personnel if Davis was fired, and we're going to be very good next year. I've gotten tired of all this talk about Davis' coaching status. Not on this board, but by the media. It really hurts the school a bit when Mike Davis has been the interim coach for 5 years...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
He's coming back.  We'd lose a lot of personnel if Davis was fired, and we're going to be very good next year.  I've gotten tired of all this talk about Davis' coaching status.  Not on this board, but by the media.  It really hurts the school a bit when Mike Davis has been the interim coach for 5 years...

Just for discussion's sake............ What if they fall on their face and lose soundly to Vandy at home Wednesday night? COULD that change anything? It certainly couldn't help.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Just for discussion's sake............ What if they fall on their face and lose soundly to Vandy at home Wednesday night?  COULD that change anything?  It certainly couldn't help.

Doesn't matter, he's back, confirmed, case closed.

If he was fired, DJ White would transfer, along with Bracey Wright going pro and possibly a few other players transferring (maybe Vaden, because he came to IU simply because of MD)

Better not change anything. As Alex said, DJ, Vaden, and Killingsworth wouldn't be playing here next year. It'd probably be the same with Bracey, but he's back in my dog house.

I think Bracey's going to be back, because he's certainly not going to the NBA. His only choice for playing pro will be overseas. He's just so damn consistent. It's just a small thing too, but I thought it was cool how the whole team shaved their head for the BTT game. Ewing didn't, but he at least did something to change it up. Bracey was the only one to not really do anything along those lines. It's a small thing, but it just kind of shows that he's not all team. Who knows.

We can survive without Bracey. Strick and Vaden can pick up his points up top. However, we can be fine with Bracey next year. Bracey will look very good next year, because he won't be THE guy next year. I'm ready for Thanksgiving '05.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
Should he...No, but will he...Yes

I think the alumni calling for his head will be too much for the AD and they'll eventually axe him.

Personally I think he's getting way too much blame because I think in general he's done a good job.  This team was insanely young and its tough to do as good as they did with a team that young.  Young teams are bound to be inconsistent.

IU will be a very good team next year.

Hell, the Big 10 should once again be one of the premier conferences next year.  If Ill doesn't lose too many guys to early entry, then them, MSU, and IU will all have very good clubs, Iowa has the talent (we'll see if they could put it together) and then of course Ohio State is a good team as well and then Wisconsin and Minny.

chisox... I usually agree with you, bbbuuutttttt...... mike davis tried to put his footprint on IU basketball hoops, and now he should feel someone elses foot... bracey wright is the biggest ball hog I've every seen... a good coach would let him know he has four teammates on the court.... these "young kids" more often than not would run down the court and "chuck it" a good coach would be teaching passing techniques, at least ONE PASS... davis just sat back and let his players play, that's not coaching, unless you're phil jackson with jordan .... I have to stop before I get out of hand.... in closing... MIKE DAVIS IS NOT A COACH!!!!!

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Doesn't matter, he's back, confirmed, case closed.

If he was fired, DJ White would transfer, along with Bracey Wright going pro and possibly a few other players transferring (maybe Vaden, because he came to IU simply because of MD)

Those should not be reasons for keeping a head coach. It was that kind of thinking that caused them to hire him in the first place without a true search for a head coach.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
chisox... I usually agree with you, bbbuuutttttt......  mike davis tried to put his footprint on IU basketball hoops, and now he should feel someone elses foot...  bracey wright is the biggest ball hog I've every seen...  a good coach would let him know he has four teammates on the court....  these "young kids" more often than not would run down the court and "chuck it" a good coach would be teaching passing techniques, at least ONE PASS...  davis just sat back and let his players play, that's not coaching, unless you're phil jackson with jordan ....  I have to stop before I get out of hand.... in closing... MIKE DAVIS IS NOT A COACH!!!!!

Someone took them to the NCAA title game in 2002 and it wasn't Bobby Knight my friend.