Should/Will Mike Davis be back?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Someone took them to the NCAA title game in 2002 and it wasn't Bobby Knight my friend.

Exactly, and before somebody says anything, Davis recruited that group of "Knight's players."

And people want to use that argument, a lot of Knight's early success at TT should go out the window. Since those weren't his players.

Oh well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
Exactly, and before somebody says anything, Davis recruited that group of "Knight's players." 

And people want to use that argument, a lot of Knight's early success at TT should go out the window.  Since those weren't his players.

Oh well.

I wasn't comparing him to knight at all... i wasn't using "that argument"

Davis may be an awesome recuiter still doesn't matter... he's not a good coach... you don't let kids play ya coach em!!!

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
I wasn't comparing him to knight at all... i wasn't using "that argument"

Davis may be an awesome recuiter still doesn't matter... he's not a good coach... you don't let kids play ya coach em!!!

The talent wasn't there the last year. However, Davis won 20 in his first three seasons at Indiana. No other coach at Indiana has done that. I don't know how you do that, and take a team to the tourney when you don't know how to coach.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)

And people want to use that argument, a lot of Knight's early success at TT should go out the window.  Since those weren't his players.

Oh well.

Yeah well one of them is in the tournament this year, and it's not the one coaching Indiana. It's the one coaching at a football school in Lubbock, Texas in the more difficult conference.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Greasy are you trying to tell me Mike Davis was responsible for that team getting to the final four?

I'd say it was a team thing. That group of players and the coach.

I just hate how if this team is ever winning, it's because of the players, Davis had no part in it. If we're losing, it's not the players fault, but that Davis is a horrible coach. I'm just tired of all this conversation.

Davis shouldn't and won't be fired.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
Davis will not be fired. IU is flat broke right now and can't afford to buy out the remainder of Davis's contract.

I don't buy that argument. One could argue that if they aren't sure he is their coach for the next 3-5 years, then it would be smarter to fire him now. He is owed a half million dollars in bonuses over the next three years (including $300,000 this year) just for remaining as the head coach. So the $750k it would take to buy him out, will turn into $1.25 million if they keep him.

The bottom line is...... Does the new administration truly believe he is the right coach at IU for the long haul? If they do and like how he runs the program, then they should keep him. If they question whether he is the right guy or not, why would they give him "one more chance" when it will cost them an extra $300,000 in addition to what they already have committed to him and then realize next year they need to make a change?

The fact that the players might rebel or leave should not factor into it. The decision should be made based the long term interest of the program and not what would happen in the next year or two. So either Davis stays for the long term or he goes. All the other reasons such as money and player transfers SHOULD not come into play.

I honestly think he's just getting started. I'm excited for next year. I just hope that the outcome of the season is satisfactory enough that a lot of the doubters will stop talking and we can finally erase that 5-year interim label.

I like where this team is headed right now. With the exception of the Minnesota game in the BTT, this team has started to go in the right direction. If we build on that, and we should, Indiana will be back on the map. We're going to have a lot of scholarships for the 06-07 season. I just think we're starting to get back on the right track, and we'll stay there.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I honestly think he's just getting started.  I'm excited for next year.  I just hope that the outcome of the season is satisfactory enough that a lot of the doubters will stop talking and we can finally erase that 5-year interim label.

I like where this team is headed right now.  With the exception of the Minnesota game in the BTT, this team has started to go in the right direction.  If we build on that, and we should, Indiana will be back on the map.  We're going to have a lot of scholarships for the 06-07 season.  I just think we're starting to get back on the right track, and we'll stay there.

greasy you know my feelings...... If they believe he is the long term answer, then I say go for it and keep him. I am not there everyday like the AD. I don't see what goes on behind the scenes, how things are run. My only problem will be if they go the "let's give him one more year" approach. In my mind, they need to decide before they pay out that $300k bonus if he is their guy or not. Not just for this year, but for the long term.

I will say that on the Sonny and Wimp Show this morning, Wimp made the comment that what he was hearing was that they better win tonight and that Davis job still could hinge on that. That may or may not be true, but these old coaches are pretty well connected and they are pro-Davis. They don't get into throwing a ton of rumors around, so when I do hear something, I have a tendency to believe they have good information.

After losing to Minnesota like they did, if they fall flat on their faces at home tonight to Vandy, it would not surprise me that things could change. I am not saying it will, but it certainly would not surprise me.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Greasy are you trying to tell me Mike Davis was responsible for that team getting to the final four?

Let me ask you this, on that team, they had ONE NBA player, Jared Jeffries, then a bunch of basically role players.

So if Davis is responsible when they lose, why do you not give him credit for going to the title game?

Just a question.

The guy was what, 8 points from a national title, so he just got to that point by sitting there and letting his players do all of the work?

As a season ticket holder at IU that season and a person "in the know" when it comes to IU basketball, I will say that IU team was one of the best to watch since the championship squad and were very sound in all facets of the game. Now you can say that Knight got them there and all of that, but you don't win 5 straight games in the NCAA tournament if you don't have a capable coach. It just doesn't happen.

I just feel that that team was stacked with veteran leadership that knew how to win. Davis was probly part of it, just not as much as i'd like to think he was. He's not always responsible for them losing either (I think bracey is a huge factor in that). I just think that if IU fans (and i'm not blaming anyone of this, but i've heard it plenty) defend Davis through everything with "he took us to a final four," i don't know if that's a real good basis for keeping him

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
I just feel that that team was stacked with veteran leadership that knew how to win. Davis was probly part of it, just not as much as i'd like to think he was. He's not always responsible for them losing either (I think bracey is a huge factor in that).  I just think that if IU fans (and i'm not blaming anyone of this, but i've heard it plenty) defend Davis through everything with "he took us to a final four," i don't know if that's a real good basis for keeping him

More s***'s going to be heard now that we lost our NIT game tonight in Bloomington. I personally don't care about that. Teams like Maryland, ND, and IU are going to have some trouble getting up for these games. So whatever to that.

However, you've seen me on here as a big Davis backer the whole time. I don't think that's the only thing I've ever used to defend him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Let me ask you this, on that team, they had ONE NBA player, Jared Jeffries, then a bunch of basically role players.

So if Davis is responsible when they lose, why do you not give him credit for going to the title game?

Just a question.

The guy was what, 8 points from a national title, so he just got to that point by sitting there and letting his players do all of the work?

As a season ticket holder at IU that season and a person "in the know" when it comes to IU basketball, I will say that IU team was one of the best to watch since the championship squad and were very sound in all facets of the game.  Now you can say that Knight got them there and all of that, but you don't win 5 straight games in the NCAA tournament if you don't have a capable coach.  It just doesn't happen.

he won cause he kept coverdale sober ... he's s*** coach......

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
I don't buy that argument.  One could argue that if they aren't sure he is their coach for the next 3-5 years, then it would be smarter to fire him now.  He is owed a half million dollars in bonuses over the next three years (including $300,000 this year) just for remaining as the head coach.  So the $750k it would take to buy him out, will turn into $1.25 million if they keep him. 

I hate to sound like an elitist s***bag, which I'm actually trying not to come off as here (amazing!), but I know a lot of people on the Union Board and we're broke when it comes to sports stuff this year. Could we fire Davis next year? Sure, but as of this year, and this year only, IU has lost any money to buy out Davis because they fired DiNardo.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
I hate to sound like an elitist s***bag, which I'm actually trying not to come off as here (amazing!), but I know a lot of people on the Union Board and we're broke when it comes to sports stuff this year. Could we fire Davis next year? Sure, but as of this year, and this year only, IU has lost any money to buy out Davis because they fired DiNardo.

Let's do the math.......

If they fire Davis this year, they will owe him approx. $750,000.

If they wait until next year, they will pay him his $250,000 (approx) salary, plus a $300,000 bonus just for being the Head Coach on July 1. So they will pay him $550,000 and still owe him about a half million if they buy him out next year. The math doesn't add up. It is actually cheaper for them to cut him loose this year than to wait a year.

Now I am not saying he should be fired for sure, just that the "one more year/chance" mentality and the "lack of $$" excuse won't wash when it comes down to it. $750,000 doesn't seem like so much when staring at an all-time attendance low at Assembly Hall last night. Last night's low was more than 2000 fans below the previous low in 1999 when fans couldn't make it because of an ice storm. Spring Break is not a legitimate excuse. My guess is that contributions are down as well, although that is just speculation. In theory, it could be argued that IU cannot afford to gamble by keeping him.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Let's do the math.......

If they wait until next year, they will pay him his $250,000 (approx) salary, plus a $300,000 bonus just for being the Head Coach on July 1.  So they will pay him $550,000 and still owe him about a half million if they buy him out next year.  The math doesn't add up.  It is actually cheaper for them to cut him loose this year than to wait a year.

Now I am not saying he should be fired for sure, just that the "one more year/chance" mentality and the "lack of $$" excuse won't wash when it comes down to it.  $750,000 doesn't seem like so much when staring at an all-time attendance low at Assembly Hall last night.  Last night's low was more than 2000 fans below the previous low in 1999 when fans couldn't make it because of an ice storm.  Spring Break is not a legitimate excuse.  My guess is that contributions are down as well, although that is just speculation.  In theory, it could be argued that IU cannot afford to gamble by keeping him.

You have to remember that the entire campus is on Spring Break, and a lot of students actually, for some reason unknown to me, thought we would make the tournament. I'm surprised that many people showed up in the first place.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
Let's do the math.......

If they wait until next year, they will pay him his $250,000 (approx) salary, plus a $300,000 bonus just for being the Head Coach on July 1.  So they will pay him $550,000 and still owe him about a half million if they buy him out next year.  The math doesn't add up.  It is actually cheaper for them to cut him loose this year than to wait a year.

Now I am not saying he should be fired for sure, just that the "one more year/chance" mentality and the "lack of $$" excuse won't wash when it comes down to it.  $750,000 doesn't seem like so much when staring at an all-time attendance low at Assembly Hall last night.  Last night's low was more than 2000 fans below the previous low in 1999 when fans couldn't make it because of an ice storm.  Spring Break is not a legitimate excuse.  My guess is that contributions are down as well, although that is just speculation.  In theory, it could be argued that IU cannot afford to gamble by keeping him.

How is Spring Break not a legite excuse? It's the NIT. I don't know how you get players up for a game like that, let a lone the fans. The students aren't even allowed back on campus until Sunday at 8 am. That's keeping a lot of buyers out of the city. I would've gone, had I been in Bloomington.

Also, it still will cost a bit. We'd be paying the rest of DiNardo and Davis' contracts. The current football coach's contract, and I don't even want to know what it will cost to get a coach that will get the "boosters" etc. to be happy with.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
How is Spring Break not a legite excuse?  It's the NIT.  I don't know how you get players up for a game like that, let a lone the fans.  The students aren't even allowed back on campus until Sunday at 8 am.  That's keeping a lot of buyers out of the city.  I would've gone, had I been in Bloomington.

Also, it still will cost a bit. We'd be paying the rest of DiNardo and Davis' contracts.  The current football coach's contract, and I don't even want to know what it will cost to get a coach that will get the "boosters" etc. to be happy with.

Because last night's crowd was more than 2,000 less than any other crowd EVER in Assembly Hall. We aren't talking about a small crowd like during Christmas Break, we are talking about the lowest EVER by A LOT. Hell, they had over 7,000 in 1999 when an ice storm shut that part of the midwest down.

No, Spring Break is NOT an excuse for a crowd THAT bad. A serious lack of interest by fans is the reason. You can't tell me that it is not a sign of the program being way down when only 5,000 people will pay to see IU basketball in Bloomington. s***, there should have been 5,000 people who can't normally get tickets show up last night, but the interest just isn't there.

Just out of curiosity, how many students attend a normal, sold out IU home game?

Edited by Rex Hudler