Should/Will Mike Davis be back?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled this off Illini Board. Anyone know anything?

This rumor started this morning, but I guess I talk about it now since it's being reported in a lot of places.

There was a rumor this morning that IU was going to have a press conference at 3:30 p.m. today, presumably to announce that Davis was resigning. As you can imagine, peegs.com has had a lot of posting since then.

As of now, however, no conference has been set, and it doesn't look like an announcement is coming today.

Many people are reporting that a buyout agreement has been reached, but the announcement will be delayed a bit. Some were reporting that Kevin Stallings was going to be announced as the new coach today, but that's been squashed. Some people think that Stallings is the new coach (our AD hired him at Illinois State), but that IU has to do a formal search for appearance sake; some think that there is nothing to the Stallings rumor.

The latest reports are that Majerus will ultimately be named the coach. Maybe this delayed announcement is because IU is talking to Rick right now.

Regardless, it looks like Davis will no longer be the coach at IU.

The guy that goes by Peegs on this site has said nothing to this effect. He's disgusted with all the talk, because there has been a lot of movement on the board about this topic. He said to the board, "You all are getting me in hot water today."

Edited by greasywheels121

This is all that is confirmed. Rick Greenspan, the AD, wants to sit down and meet with Davis and discuss the program. There's no timetable for this though.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/230097-1648-204.html

I've been a Davis backer, but I'm starting to say if they're going to fire him, do it now. This is getting retarded. It's inevitable, no matter what Davis does here, he's going to have people saying something to get him out of here. It's getting pretty old. I like the idea of someone like Majerus, etc.

I just hope if and when they do it, have a coach ready to step in. Don't do what Notre Dame football did earlier this season. If there's any chance of the players staying, they need to have a coach here ready. If there's along time where we don't have a coach at all, it's just going to make things messier.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Latest rumor I heard early this morning is that Mike Davis has resigned as the coach of Indiana Basketball.

More details to follow, if any become available.

Not too hard to see the writing on the wall...... A preemptive move would not surprise me in the least.

Have fun with this....This is the first I've seen Knight talk about Indiana since he's been fired, and it's not pretty.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2018104

Knight rips into Indiana, wanted to fire Davis

ESPN.com news services

Do you think Bobby Knight's feel-good run in the NCAA Tournament with Texas Tech is making him forget about his disastrous falling out with Indiana?

Think again.

"I stayed at Indiana six years too long because of the administration. The administration handled a lot of things poorly," Knight told Sporting News Radio on Saturday, after his Red Raiders upset Gonzaga to reach the Sweet 16. "I was working for an athletic director [former IU AD Clarence Doninger] that didn't know his [expletive] from third base. I ended up staying because of the kids that I liked and the people I did like rather than focusing on the real negatives there."

Knight, who coached at Indiana for 29 years and won three national championships, was fired in 2000 for violating a "zero tolerance" behavior policy by grabbing the arm of a student who he said greeted him by his last name. Knight sued two years later, claiming the university violated his employment contract. The lawsuit was eventually dismissed.

Knight also doesn't think much of Mike Davis, his successor with the Hoosiers. Indiana missed the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year, and the Hoosiers lost in the first round of the NIT.

"They created that for themselves," Knight said in the Sporting News Radio interview. "The guy that's coaching there [Mike Davis] is a guy that I told Pat [Knight, his son and assistant coach] we were going to replace at the end of the season. There's no way that I would have kept the guy any longer than that. [but] That's their [indiana] problem."

Indiana spokesperson Pete Rhoda said Sunday night that the university and Davis will have no response to Knight's comments.

Although another Indiana season ended on a disappointing note, Davis believes he will return as Hoosiers coach.

According to ESPN.com's Andy Katz, Davis is talking and acting as if he would be back for a sixth season in Bloomington. Davis, who has three years remaining on his contract, will meet with athletic director Rick Greenspan during his regularly scheduled weekly meeting Tuesday.

Indiana is expected to make an announcement on Davis' future by Wednesday, sources close to the process told ESPN.com.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
Not surprising......    Knight has never been one to skip a chance to get in a final word.  I think it sucks that he talks about Davis that way because he is a fellow coach, but nothing that asshole says surprises me.

Agreed. It's funny how he says he should have left 6 years before he got fired. Bulls*** on that. Interesting how that would have him leaving in 1994. The last year any of his Indiana teams went anywhere in the tournament. It was definitely time for both of them to part ways.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Agreed.  It's funny how he says he should have left 6 years before he got fired.  Bulls*** on that.  Interesting how that would have him leaving in 1994.  The last year any of his Indiana teams went anywhere in the tournament.  It was definitely time for both of them to part ways.

Hey '94 was when I left IU.....

this is typical knight ... come tourney time he always starts a show... game face nonsense, whipping cheney(not the vp)... now the media is firmly fixed on bobby and not his players....

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Agreed.  It's funny how he says he should have left 6 years before he got fired.  Bulls*** on that.  Interesting how that would have him leaving in 1994.  The last year any of his Indiana teams went anywhere in the tournament.  It was definitely time for both of them to part ways.

Hey '94 was when I left IU.....

this is typical knight ... come tourney time he always starts a show... game face nonsense, whipping cheney(not the vp)... now the media is firmly fixed on bobby and not his players....

Despite a small bump in the road, back as I called it.

Interesting that Knight has that to say. Too bad he was the guy getting all of the talent for Bob. Just shows even more what a classless prick Knight really is.

I hope U of L gets to play Texas Tech so we can see them embarassed.

:fyou Knight

IU Alum Mark Cuban:

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000950036684/

I support Mike Davis

Posted Mar 18, 2005, 1:49 PM ET

Let’s put aside all these ridiculous rumors and put a stop to the just as crazy emails I have been getting from IU basketball fans.

I support Mike Davis. Without reserve.

As much as anyone I would like to see us back in the NCAA Finals where Coach Davis took us a few short years ago.

I think Coach Davis shot for the moon in his recruiting a little too much and saw his best incoming players going to the NBA. I think now he has adjusted his recruting approach and I LOVE the nucleus of freshman that we have and the progress they made over the course of the season.

Good job Coach Davis.

Go IU!

And the official release from the IU Athletics website...

http://iuhoosiers.com/mensbasketball/news/...bk03-22-05.html

Indiana Men's Basketball Program Update

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana University Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan issued the following statement regarding the Hoosiers’ men’s basketball program.

“I have spent the last few days visiting with Coach (Mike) Davis conducting an evaluation of our men’s basketball program,” Greenspan said. “This evaluative process is the current standard for all IU athletic programs. We sit down with each head coach at the end of the competitive season to assess all facets of the program, such as team competitiveness, rules compliance, academic performance, recruiting, program management, etc. I discuss my recommendations with the president, and we use this process to recognize and reward achievement and take corrective action to improve performance.

“Many of these evaluative processes are personal and will remain confidential. However, with the great interest in the competitive success of our men’s basketball program, it is important to reinforce the competitive aspirations and expectations.

“My charge from the president is to develop a nationally-competitive, broad-based program with expectations for achievement on the field, in the classroom and in the community. A number of our programs are nationally ranked, and we expect our basketball program to compete at the highest level as well.

“Given its tradition and success, men’s basketball is our most visible sport and will continue to be held to the same top standard. Mike Davis is the Indiana basketball coach. Coach Davis and I have reviewed every facet of the program, and we are both committed to returning Indiana basketball to the level to which Indiana is accustomed and to which we aspire.

“While we share this common goal and are both confident that it will be reached, we also know that our record the last two years is not up to the standards to which Indiana is accustomed and to which we aspire. This is why we have set ambitious and achievable goals for next season of competing at a very high level in the Big Ten Conference and successfully competing in the NCAA Tournament.”

President Herbert has also been involved in these postseason discussions, and he eagerly awaits the 2005-06 season.

"I have had several conversations with Rick and Coach Davis and agree with their assessments, as well as the goals they have established to restore a winning tradition to Indiana basketball,” Herbert said. “The extended Hoosier family expects and deserves no less."

Davis appreciates the backing that he has received from the university and athletic administration.

“First of all, I would like to thank President Herbert, Rick Greenspan and so many of the Indiana fans for their support,” Davis said. “I am fully aware of the high standard of excellence set for this program. I understand the goals and accept full responsibility of achieving these objectives. I think that our non-conference slate and our success in Big Ten play have only helped our basketball team to grow and mature. The future of Indiana basketball is certainly bright, and I am excited to be a part of it.”

I guess this is as good of a place as any. Kind of cool...Dane Fife is going to coach my hometown IPFW Mastadons.

http://iuhoosiers.com/mensbasketball/news/...bk03-24-05.html

Dane Fife Named Head Coach At IPFW

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - IPFW Director of Athletics Mark A. Pope announced today that former Indiana University assistant Dane Fife has been selected as the new men's basketball coach at IPFW.

The former Indiana standout had just completed his second season on coach Mike Davis' staff.

"Dane brings a great tradition of basketball coaching experience," Pope said. "His father was a collegiate basketball player and coach at the University of Michigan. Both of his brothers competed at the collegiate level. He has learned from two mentors, Bob Knight and Mike Davis. He has competed in the NCAA National Championship Game. In short, he is a great fit for IPFW at this stage of our development. He brings a tremendous competitive spirit and a strong belief that he can get the job done here."

As a player, Fife was the defensive catalyst behind Indiana's 2001-02 Big Ten co-champion and Final Four team. He broke the Hoosiers' career steals record (180) en route to league Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior. Fife also ranks among the Hoosiers' all-time top 20 in assists (307) and three-pointers (99), and his .478 three-point field goal percentage in 2001-02 is sixth on IU's single-season list. Fife also holds Indiana's single-season record for games started (37) and is tied for sixth in career games played (131).

Fife was the Gary Steelheads' first-round pick in the 2002 CBA Draft and started five of the 34 games in which he played. He averaged 3.4 points and one rebound per game.

"I am truly humbled by this tremendous opportunity," Fife said. "My goal has always been to become a successful college coach and to help young men reach their full potential, both on and off the court. IPFW Men's Basketball is on its way to becoming an outstanding program, and I will give everything that I have within me to bring it to the next level."

"What most attracted me to Dane was that, more than any other candidate, he convinced me that he wants this position at IPFW - not just any coaching position," Pope added. "He has a passion for our student-athletes and has studied them closely. He has already developed a plan to further the development of our team. His preparation, attention to detail and hard work will be his greatest assets. I am looking forward to starting this new era in IPFW Basketball."

Fife, at 25, becomes the youngest current Division I head coach. That distinction was previously held by 30 year old Jeff Capel of Virginia Commonwealth.

The 'Dons new head coach, who official takes over on April 1st, is currently putting the finishing touches on his coaching staff.