Should/Will Mike Davis be back?

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 02:43 AM)
Wow thats an awesome accomplishment. Not to mention taking a title away from a Dukie never hurts  ;)

Let's just hope he doesn't teach his players to make fouls as stupid as the one he committed on Jayson Williams in that game. Maybe the dumbest foul in a tight game I have ever seen.

Fortunately, things worked out for him, but he could have been a big time goat there.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
But he also could shut down anyone. He had to guard Williams and Hollis Price. The guy knows defense.

Oh I know, I wasn't knocking Fife as a player overall, just taking a little fun stab at that one play. If we hadn't won that game, I'd be trying to forget that play.......

Just had to put this out here, since this very topic was brought up here....

http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/024595-7221-115.html

Question:  When Mike Davis went to the finals in his second year, many were saying he was doing it with Bob Knight's team. I'm not hearing that Bruce Weber, in his second year, is doing it with Bill Self's team or that Roy Williams, in his second year, is doing it with Matt Doherty's team. In fact, Davis has more of a claim to his finals team because, as an assistant, he helped recruit and coach them before becoming head coach. What are your thoughts? (Bill in Sherwood, Wis.)

Answer: I think you say it pretty well to tell you the truth and I think it's an excellent point to be made during this Final Four. At the same time, I have to admit that I have had thoughts, especially with regards Illinois, as to how Weber will do when he has all of his own players in that system. I think he's a pretty good coach, but I think the jury will be out on him until he's able to reach this kind of level of performance with his own guys.

Weber is using Self's guys. Agreed.

Self is a better recruiter than Weber.

However, Weber is by FAR AND AWAY a better X and O, and from what i can tell, player coach, than Self is. By a wide margin. I've watched both coach enough to know this.

Bottom line, Self would not have this team in this exact position if he was behind the bench. End of story.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
Weber is using Self's guys. Agreed.

Self is a better recruiter than Weber.

However, Weber is by FAR AND AWAY a better X and O, and from what i can tell, player coach, than Self is. By a wide margin. I've watched both coach enough to know this.

Bottom line, Self would not have this team in this exact position if he was behind the bench. End of story.

Just look at that Kansas team. Person for person and depthwise, I think Kansas might have more overall talent. When it comes to preformance, its not even close. Self is way overrated as a coach. An interesting stat on Self, he has not beaten a higher rated seed in the tourney since leaving Tulsa.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 01:53 AM)
I just had to put this out here, because it's funny how this argument is ALWAYS brought up when you say Davis and Final Four.  I just found it to be an interesting point is all.

It's a legit point greasy...... the only reply I would come up with is that both Weber and Williams were previously head coaches with documented success. Weber was an assistant at Purdue for 18 years and successful at SIU. I'd guess their level of experience would be the difference. Then again, if Illinois goes 29-29 over two years time, who knows what will be said.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
It's a legit point greasy......  the only reply I would come up with is that both Weber and Williams were previously head coaches with documented success.  Weber was an assistant at Purdue for 18 years and successful at SIU.  I'd guess their level of experience would be the difference.  Then again, if Illinois goes 29-29 over two years time, who knows what will be said.

He can't recruit -

That's what will be said.