Should Brandon McCarthy be starting?

maggsmaggs

Should Brandon McCarthy be in the starting rotation of the White Sox to start the year?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should Brandon McCarthy be in the starting rotation of the White Sox to start the year?

• yes, take Contreras' spot
    • yes, take Garland's spot
    • yes, take El-Duque's spot
    • yes, take Freddy's Spot
    • No, it's too early to tell for these pitcher, they just are starting slow
    • No, he should still pitch in AAA, no matter what

Right now Buerhle is the only one of the starters throwing well, Garcia, Garland and El-Duque I feel will be fine, but Contreras is another story. What do you guys think about McCarthy starting the year in the majors? He is pitching better than everyone except Buerhle.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Right now Buerhle is the only one of the starters throwing well, Garcia, Garland and El-Duque I feel will be fine, but Contreras is another story.  What do you guys think about McCarthy starting the year in the majors?  He is pitching better than everyone except Buerhle.

It's March freaking 12. I mean, I like Brandon as much as anyone here but c'mon why don't we give Contreras a few starts during the regular season before we start throwing him under the bridge. I understand there are people here who aren't confident in Jose and that's fine, I just think it's nuts to want to rush Brandon cause Contreras has had a few rough outings during st, jmo.

You guys must stop worrying about our starters right now. You can't judge them on the result of spring training in Arizona. Please relax, and take a moment to enjoy the fact that baseball in here.

Remember how poor Shingo looked in Spring Training last year.

i dont know what the sox were thinking when they acquired contreras, hes terrible. he has the best arm on our team, but aparently he doesnt know how to use it. whats he making? 6+ million? what a waste, we could have used the cash to get clement, perez,etc. :gosox1:

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
i dont know what the sox were thinking when they acquired contreras, hes terrible. he has the best arm on our team, but aparently he doesnt  know how to use it. whats he making? 6+ million? what a waste, we could have used the cash to get clement, perez,etc.  :gosox1:

That still wouldn't have been enough and it would have required more cash committent to both of those NL pitchers. Did Odalis want to leave LA? Could the Sox possibly outbid the Red Cubs for Clement with that $6 million? Would El Duque have signed with the Sox if Contreras wasn't here (which would mean the Sox would still only have 4 starting pitchers?) :huh:

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
That still wouldn't have been enough and it would have required more cash committent to both of those NL pitchers.  Did Odalis want to leave LA?  Could the Sox possibly outbid the Red Cubs for Clement with that $6 million?  Would El Duque have signed with the Sox if Contreras wasn't here (which would mean the Sox would still only have 4 starting pitchers?)  :huh:

we could have gotten one of these pitchers. perez just didnt get any good offers which is why he stayed..contreras is getting like 6-8 mil, plus we still have money left to spend, kenny is saving it in case we need it in the middle of the season(according to JR)

contreras is a joke :puke

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
It's March freaking 12.  I mean, I like Brandon as much as anyone here but c'mon why don't we give Contreras a few starts during the regular season before we start throwing him under the bridge.  I understand there are people here who aren't confident in Jose and that's fine, I just think it's nuts to want to rush Brandon cause Contreras has had a few rough outings during st, jmo.

Completely agree.

QUOTE(black jack @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
he needs to learn at least one more pitch.

until he has four very strong pitches he should be in minors.

I hope he starts in the minors, but I can't agree with this reasoning. Why does the number of pitches matter? Lots of pitchers do well with 3 (good) pitches.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
we could have gotten one of these pitchers. perez just didnt get any good offers which is why he stayed..contreras is getting like 6-8 mil, plus we still have money left to spend, kenny is saving it in case we need it in the middle of the season(according to JR)

contreras is a joke  :puke

So I guess Perez just had to "settle" for that 3 year, $24 million deal.

As for the payroll, KW said he had to go to JR and Co. twice about raising the payroll for Iguchi, and now Reinsdorf said there will be money to spend at the break. KW is not sitting on a pile of cash right now. :bang

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
I hope he starts in the minors, but I can't agree with this reasoning.  Why does the number of pitches matter?  Lots of pitchers do well with 3 (good) pitches.

I agree. A lot of major leaguers throw four or five pitches, yet they throw them real s***ty.

I like the approach Brandon is taking. Nothing fancy -- fastball, changeup, curveball -- and he's "mastered" (I don't want to say mastered, because he still has to work on them some, but he can throw these two pitches where he wants to basically) the fastball and the curveball. Let him refine his changeup, and he'll be dynomite if he can throw the fastball, change, and curve -- all where he wants to put them.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
I hope he starts in the minors, but I can't agree with this reasoning.  Why does the number of pitches matter?  Lots of pitchers do well with 3 (good) pitches.

You also have Randy Johnson who is a 2 pitch pitcher. Fastball...Slider

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
So I guess Perez just had to "settle" for that  3 year, $24 million deal. 

As for the payroll, KW said he had to go to JR and Co. twice about raising the payroll for Iguchi, and now Reinsdorf said there will be money to spend at the break.  KW is not sitting on a pile of cash right now.  :bang

odalis had an era under 3.50, hey thats what JR said when he was on 670 the score, that they still have money to spend.. :banghead

>if contreras would just use ALL his pitches, he would be very good. when he pitched the last game of the season vs. kc and gave up no runs, he used all his pitches.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
odalis had an era under 3.50, hey thats what JR said when he was on 670 the score, that they still have money to spend..  :banghead

>if contreras would just use ALL his pitches, he would be very good. when he pitched the last game of the season vs. kc and gave up no runs, he used all his pitches.

He uses all his pitches he just tips them off and falls in love with his splitter way too much.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
He uses all his pitches he just tips them off and falls in love with his splitter way too much.

when he gets into trouble, he just uses his splitter, the hitters know it, which is why he walkis so many guys.

Brandon McCarthy :pray

i dont care how much exp. bmac has, i would prefer him over contreras, he actually has confidence in his stuff. he didnt have his best stuff against texz, yet he gave up one hit.

>ozzie said contreras pitched good today :headshake

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 04:08 AM)
when he gets into trouble, he just uses his splitter, the hitters know it, which is why he walkis so many guys.

Brandon McCarthy :pray

i dont care how much exp. bmac has, i would prefer him over contreras, he actually has confidence in his stuff. he didnt have his best stuff against texz, yet he gave up one hit.

>ozzie said contreras pitched good today  :headshake

I also like B-Mac, but if you're gonna judge a guy on a couple of Spring Training games, I guess Pablo Ozuna should be an All-Star this year...

He should probably be the first one called if/when someone fails or is hurt, but for now, he should go back to the minors. According to himself, he hasn't mastered his changeup yet, although he used it pretty damn well last time out. He will be in the show soon, and it should be a pleasure to watch.