Should Brandon McCarthy be starting?

maggsmaggs

Should Brandon McCarthy be in the starting rotation of the White Sox to start the year?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should Brandon McCarthy be in the starting rotation of the White Sox to start the year?

• yes, take Contreras' spot
    • yes, take Garland's spot
    • yes, take El-Duque's spot
    • yes, take Freddy's Spot
    • No, it's too early to tell for these pitcher, they just are starting slow
    • No, he should still pitch in AAA, no matter what

after that whole last year/this offseason. i dont care how bad contrearas and el duque are pitching, as long as their healthy i want bmac in AAA, i wanna see him preform this year, he probily get some starting jobs if pitcher get hurt. i dont wanna go giving aways starting spots in spring trainging.

I don't give a damn how Contreras and Hernandez have pitched in Spring Training. For all we know, they could pull a Shingo on us, and suprise a lot of people come the regular season, but I'd say that's probably unlikely to happen.

If Contreras struggles up to July, I've got no doubt KW will probably try to move him ALA Loaiza, to try and fill a need (probably for another starter or to let B-Mac come up). Some team could take a chance on Jose as a closer, Colorado perhaps if the Sox paid a portion of the deal. Jose's problem is, even if he pitches in a pitchers park, his ERA is not going to drop as much as it should, because he walks a lot of batters and comes up with a lot of wild pitches.

I can't believe we are even having this debate. These veteran pitchers are not worried about getting hitters out yet. They are just trying to get their arms ready and pitches fine tuned. Contreras' ERA on March 15th don't mean squat.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
As much I like Brandon, there is no way we bury a $6 million pitcher for a guy with 5 starts at AA.  I start Brandon at Birmingham and if he keeps us the great work, he is my first call up in case of injury.

Unless you move the $6 million pitcher to a certain team with extra depth in the infield and who's number two starter just went down with triceps tendinitis.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Unless you move the $6 million pitcher to a certain team with extra depth in the infield and who's number two starter just went down with triceps tendinitis.

Not unless we get one of their pitching prospects included in the deal. Angel Guzman would look real good in Charlotte.

Uh, guys... He was talking about the Phils, I'm pretty sure. Padilla just got hurt, and they'll have Polanco on the bench. The Cubs have some pretty good infielders, but Neifi Perez is not what I'd call "depth".

(Okay, Hairston, I guess. I just wanted to take that shot.)

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Uh, guys...  He was talking about the Phils, I'm pretty sure.  Padilla just got hurt, and they'll have Polanco on the bench.  The Cubs have some pretty good infielders, but Neifi Perez is not what I'd call "depth".

(Okay, Hairston, I guess.  I just wanted to take that shot.)

With David Bell injuring his back, it looks like they'll hold onto Polanco for a while.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
With David Bell injuring his back, it looks like they'll hold onto Polanco for a while.

Okay, I wasn't really saying they'd trade Polanco, now or later. Just saying that I think TLAK was referring to another team. I don't think Wood's got triceps tendinitis, anyway, isn't it something around his rotator cuff? Shoulder, anyway?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Okay, I wasn't really saying they'd trade Polanco, now or later.  Just saying that I think TLAK was referring to another team.  I don't think Wood's got triceps tendinitis, anyway, isn't it something around his rotator cuff?  Shoulder, anyway?

Ok. Mid - season though, if Contreras is struggling it'll be hard to dump that $6 million on somebody if that's what KW decides to do, without paying some of the contract this season and next.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 12, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
i dont care how much exp. bmac has, i would prefer him over contreras, he actually has confidence in his stuff. he didnt have his best stuff against texz, yet he gave up one hit.

Contreras has too much confidence in his stuff, hence his tendency to fall in love with his splitter and constantly throw that.

They think they can fix him...we'll see if they can.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
Ok. Mid - season though, if Contreras is struggling it'll be hard to dump that $6 million on somebody if that's what KW decides to do, without paying some of the contract this season and next.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Jose is going anywhere, unless he REALLY goes down in flames. It's just too much $ to swallow.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)

I was really thinking something like Garland & Uribe for Jimmy Rollins.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
I was really thinking something like Garland & Uribe for Jimmy Rollins.

You're almost pretty much giving up Garland for nothing in that deal. I know Rollins would give us more speed in the lineup, and could probably hit over .300 at one point in time, but Uribe has the potential to put up Miggy Tejada like numbers.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
I agree, DBAH0.  I thnk the Phillies would jump all over that deal if offered.  Hopefully, it won't even be considered by the Sox.

Rollins has been on pretty thin ice once or twice in the last few seasons though, after his rookie season. He couldn't really do the job leading off, hence why they went out and traded for Kenny Lofton. But basically if we did acquire him, he'd be a #2 or #8 hitter, which is what Uribe is most likely going to be. Getting .280/25HR/80RBI's from Juan in the #8 hole is better than what Rollins would provide in terms of those stats, we have to keep some power in this lineup.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
You're almost pretty much giving up Garland for nothing in that deal. I know Rollins would give us more speed in the lineup, and could probably hit over .300 at one point in time, but Uribe has the potential to put up Miggy Tejada like numbers.

The problem with Uribe is he's just so streaky. Remember, he played his way to the bench for a time last season. SS is probably my biggest question mark this year, and SS is a bad place for a question mark. The other iffy's -Pods, Crede, Iguchi- have some one pretty good behind them, but the key position on the diamond is a big gamble. And don't tell me Ozuna, from the games I saw, he throws like Willie Harris.

I'm was just speculating on a slow day anyway, not the time of year for teams to make big deals like this.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
The problem with Uribe is he's just so streaky.  Remember, he played his way to the bench for a time last season.  SS is probably my biggest question mark this year, and SS is a bad place for a question mark.  The other iffy's  -Pods, Crede, Iguchi- have some one pretty good behind them, but the key position on the diamond is a big gamble.  And don't tell me Ozuna, from the games I saw, he throws like Willie Harris.

I'm was just speculating on a slow day anyway, not the time of year for teams to make big deals like this.

You've got to take the good with bad I suppose. But it's not everyday you get a guy who's only 25, and has played 4 seasons in this league and put up some good numbers when he's played well. No doubt he's still rough around the edges on some parts of his game e.g stealing bases, improving his BB/K ratio (1/3 last season), but that'll come in time. He needs to improve hitting away from the Cell, and that'll probably be the major test for him when he's with us, to determine if he moves from a good player, to an all-star.

Rollins is interesting to look at as well. I doubt Philly would move him because of the way he finished off the year, after going .183 in April and hitting .289 for the season. His OBP went up .28 as well as he improved his BB/K ratio (which is what Juan needs to do to improve his).

He has to start in AAA. He has very little experience there & it's quite a few steps above AA in terms of quality of hitters.

Furthermore adding him to the rotation would decimate the value of Garland & Contreras. The Sox need to get good value in return for these guys this year.

The best scenario is if Brandon has a great 1/2 in AAA & Contreras & Garland combine for less than 10 bad starts at the break. That should give them both an era < 5 & significantly boost their value.

I still expect either or both of Garland & Contreras to be traded near the break as well as Crede & Koney. Assuming they all play well enough to entice other teams.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
He has to start in AAA.  He has very little experience there & it's quite a few steps above AA in terms of quality of hitters.

Furthermore adding him to the rotation would decimate the value of Garland & Contreras.  The Sox need to get good value in return for these guys this year. 

The best scenario is if Brandon has a great 1/2 in AAA & Contreras & Garland combine for less than 10 bad starts at the break.  That should give them both an era

I still expect either or both of Garland & Contreras to be traded near the break as well as Crede & Koney.  Assuming they all play well enough to entice other teams.

So let me get this straight, you assume that we are going to trade 2/5 of our rotation and half of our starting infield? Yet you talk about how the Sox should compete this year for the division, how exactly does that work out. If the Sox are going to compete for the division they can't firesale their team. But I'm sure you'll find some statistics to prove me wrong.