What's your favorite movie

Soxy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Tom Hanks/Jackie Gleason movie set in Chicago called Nothing in Common. Nothing too fancy, just some good acting between the two in on of Gleason's last roles. But Ferris Bueler rules (except for the Wrigley scenes).

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Mar 13, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
But Ferris Bueler rules (except for the Wrigley scenes).

I believe John Hughes directed Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Whoever it was (if it wasn't JH), he originally wanted to use Comiskey Park for that scene but the White Sox were on a road trip the week of filming. Wrigley was used instead.

Hughes later got his shots of Comiskey Park in a film when he did Only the Lonely with John Candy.

Blues Brothers and The Fugitive are the best, IMO.

Also, Steven Seagal's first flick Above The Law is worthy. That movie kicks ass, although the rest of his filmography isn't even worth pissing on.

Next Of Kin is a buzz-rise, if nothing else.

Running Scared is decent.

Man, I'm 26 years old, but I got Home Alone on DVD. I love that s***.

I agree with the Blues Brothers crowd. Shots of Maxwell St., the Daily Plaza, El-tracks, The exterior of the Urinal, etc., are good Chicago icons.

I think Hi-Fidelity did a great job capturing some chicago neighborhood flavor - at least superficially. I also think Backdraft did a superb job of portraying the Blue Collar/firefighter southside character. I'm surprised nobody had included that one.

Untouchables and Eight Men Out both have some good recreated historical Chicago scenes that are good.

About Last Night was the Demi Moore film someone mentioned earlier. Another in the litanny of John Hughes Chicago films.

My Bodyguard is an old personal favorite that captures a lot of visual Chicago from 25 years ago, including lots of my high school stomping grounds. Ruth Gordon and a young Joan Cusack are in this.

My favorite inside joke on Chicago films is from Dogma. The film begins with Jay and Silent Bob in Chicago (where they said they were heading when the left New Jersey at the end of Chasing Amy), pissed off because they can't find SHERMER ILLINOIS and learn it's not real. Chicago film geeks know Shermer is the fictional everytown suburb that John Hughes dreamed up for his suburban Chicago teen romps (Bueller, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, etc.).

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
I forgot about Waynes' World.  I love seeing that big rooftop Capitol Cigar Store indian from 63rd and Pulaski in that film.  For the life of me though, I've never been able to find a Stan Mikita's Doughnuts on that block...  :bang

My north suburb bias is showing through with Ordinary People (Lake Forest) and Risky Business, also I believe Lake Forest. The birthplace of both my children.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 04:56 AM)
I believe John Hughes directed Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Whoever it was (if it wasn't JH), he originally wanted to use Comiskey Park for that scene but the White Sox were on a road trip the week of filming. Wrigley was used instead.

Hughes later got his shots of Comiskey Park in a film when he did Only the Lonely with John Candy.

Mine is definately "Only The Lonely" with John Candy. That scene at the old Comiskey puts a lump in my throat ever time.

'The Blues Brothers' is a close 2nd.